This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries
      User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      04-04-2017 02:15 PM

Question newbie

Ok so Right now I only have one male red tail. well atleast thats what I was told he was and after watching videos and stuff im pretty sure hes a male. He was just kinda handed off to me at a party. Either way hes cool and I really enjoy him but def have a lot to learn. Have NO desire to get another one anytime in the near future. But in typical me fashion I have to research the hell outta everything and look at ALL the but what if I get this or add this variables lol.

Is there a way to guess his age based off his length? Again using "he" cause I have talked myself into feeling the bump on his tail haha but he is roughly 5 inches longer than my arm so maybe 3ft?

Not knowing all the different colors he is what I would call the basic color like you get from an average pet store. If I was to get a female down the line am I limited to what color combo I could add to him? Not knowing the age is there a certain length they get to before they are best for breeding? (truely not planning on breeding because I def don't have the room/cages required for this....or really over the fear just yet of being bit lol)

I have read what I can find online but it is def limited information and i live right in the middle of BFE so there def isn't any breeders around here.

If anyone would like to chat I am always up for learning new things.....and if you can throw any info in about the corn snake and ball that I acquired with my cousins kids that would be helpful also. I would say the big *** hairy spider to but I'm not going anywhere near that dang thing!

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      10-17-2017 10:36 PM

Default Re: newbie

Suggest you read the Care Guide here. No way to accurately guess his age: growth rate depends on care (conditions such as correct temperature for digestion & amount of food offered) also depends on genetics-
      some boas stay smaller than others no matter what. Post pics of him, that would help.

Also no way to tell his genetics by just looking at him...some traits show while others (recessive ones) don't. I'd recommend against future breeding as your chances of getting awesome offspring* is quite remote.

While I personally think all snakes are awesome, that also happens to be why it irks me when ppl breed snakes that won't get good homes; you'll find that the "color you get from an average pet store" isn't very
      salable, and will likely produce way too many just like him, of which there are already plenty available. For this reason, we don't recommend breeding boas of unknown parentage (such as those from pet stores)-
      the resulting number of offspring (you'll need to care for them all!) + the problems your breeders may have (you should make sure you can afford the exotic vet nearest you), not to mention all the separate cages
      you'll need to have set up with proper temps & humidity to end up with anything other than sick snakes...that you'll be hard-pressed to find decent homes for. It's not a good investment of your time & money.
      And you've already said you don't have the space or knowledge...so please slow down? You don't make babies you can't afford & can't take care of, ok?

As far as your other snakes, many of us keep those too & have extensive experience. I'm more of a rat snake person these days and I love (& keep) some corn snakes too. Ask specific questions or topics...and
      yes, some here keep tarantulas also. (I kept one, also scorpions, some years back. And various lizards, including a bearded dragon. Prefer snakes.) Welcome!

Newbie!

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries
      Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle7206 View Post
      Suggest you read the Care Guide here. No way to accurately guess his age: growth rate depends on care (conditions such as correct temperature for digestion & amount of food offered) also depends on genetics-
      some boas stay smaller than others no matter what. Post pics of him, that would help.

Also no way to tell his genetics by just looking at him...some traits show while others (recessive ones) don't. I'd recommend against future breeding as your chances of getting awesome offspring* is quite remote.

While I personally think all snakes are awesome, that also happens to be why it irks me when ppl breed snakes that won't get good homes; you'll find that the "color you get from an average pet store" isn't very
      salable, and will likely produce way too many just like him, of which there are already plenty available. For this reason, we don't recommend breeding boas of unknown parentage (such as those from pet stores)-
      the resulting number of offspring (you'll need to care for them all!) + the problems your breeders may have (you should make sure you can afford the exotic vet nearest you), not to mention all the separate cages
      you'll need to have set up with proper temps & humidity to end up with anything other than sick snakes...that you'll be hard-pressed to find decent homes for. It's not a good investment of your time & money.
      And you've already said you don't have the space or knowledge...so please slow down? You don't make babies you can't afford & can't take care of, ok?

As far as your other snakes, many of us keep those too & have extensive experience. I'm more of a rat snake person these days and I love (& keep) some corn snakes too. Ask specific questions or topics...and
      yes, some here keep tarantulas also. (I kept one, also scorpions, some years back. And various lizards, including a bearded dragon. Prefer snakes.) Welcome!
      totally stated that I didn't want to breed. I just like to learn all I can about what ever it is that im into at the moment. Which at this moment is learning about this guy. There is no vets around me for anything other than dogs cats and livestock unless I got about three hours so again just trying to learn all I can have already downloaded the care guide and read over most of it and have all the first aide recommended items on hand already from having the kids lol.

The Boa (haven't come up with a name for him yet) is way sweeter than Zues the ball python we have. He is more hissy and not content. He eats good when he wants to eat but if you try to feed him more than about every 3 weeks to once a month he has no desire to eat. Other than his weird eating habits he seems content in his enclosure temps are correct and he does move from warmer side to cooler side so I am sure he heathy. Sheds on the regular. I just don't think he was handled much when we got him he has to be one of the fattest ones I have seen.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      10-17-2017 08:50 PM

Welcome !!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      10-17-2017 10:36 PM

Sorry nicholsbl, but we've seen this movie pretty often here. Members ask the same questions you did: "what if I get this or add this variables"..."if I was to get a female...what color combo I could add to him?"

and "is there a certain length they get to before they are best for breeding?"...that's why I didn't (& don't) believe you when you say you're not interested in breeding this boa. You'd be surprised at how fast some

"newbies" go from zero experience, getting an unplanned snake they have no experience with to thinking they're going to make money off breeding & selling the offspring, after hearing a rumor that there's money

to be made. It just ain't so, sorry...don't quit your job, you're far more likely to LOSE money breeding snakes. There's a lot more to it than that, and there's many threads you can read here if you need convincing-

it doesn't always go as planned, or even if it does, it's an awful lot more work than you think.

Newbie!

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries
      Last Visited

Well that may be the case with others but I have no interest in breeding at this time or in all likelihood ever. I'm more interested in the genetic aspect of things and wondered if once they hit breeding size/age if they change personality because of that.

I use to raise beagles with my gramps before he got to sick and we have a running pen to train them in. Because if that we raised rabbits and mixed the different breeds to get something that worked well but we also wanted a wild rabbit color. So I kept extensive records over the litters and results.

Which is why I have more of an interest in the different color morphs and such. There really isn't much reading over the Internet on that.

Already downloaded the care book and read it and printed it for the kids to read since my phone sucks and it wasn't compatible with it.

Other than purchasing from the pet store there isn't anywhere to purchases and shipping in my area isn't possible.