• + Reply to Thread
    Like Tree2Likes
    • 2 Post By ShadowAceD

Thread: Working with a Young Defensive Boa

Snake Maniac
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      07-09-2016 07:27 PM

Default Working with a Young Defensive Boa

No music in this video as it was not really poking fun at anything. There is a good bit of text to read but, in my opinion, worth it.

I know some people will disagree with this video being posted at all, but I will emphasize several things here:

-This video is not about a young boa striking, biting or hissing.
      -This video is not advocacy for inexperienced keepers to deal with defensive boas.
      -This video is meant only to show the methods I use when dealing with young defensive boas.
      -I have tried faster methods of handling with this boa and it has resulted in increased unwanted defensive responses from him.

Additionally, the boa in this video is in a larger tub because he was more defensive while in a smaller one. He has improved drastically since I received him last year but still has a ways to go.

Please remember that boas are not aggressive animals. When hissing, striking and posturing they are reacting to fear; they are defensive. You are much larger than they are and you can be viewed as a predator which means to harm them. Learn your boas' behaviors, understand their instincts and use patience, understanding and confidence when working with them.

Never become complacent and never move as a predator would.

Also, know when enough is enough for your boa. Do not force them to interact to a point they became truly fearful.

Avalanche and NoNameXII like this.

Snake Lover

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      05-07-2016 08:39 PM

Default Re: Working with a Young Defensive Boa

He mad !

i have never had a problem with aggro boa's , i must be lucky , even the baby Nic hypo i have is nice and calm though he will throw a huffy puffy hiss if i wake him. I received a feisty baby male hog island from Gus at rio bravo last year , Gus had noted his name was 'firecracker' and he was ! could hear him across the house hissing even in his tub , but 2 months later is a gentle as a kitten . Just takes handing and calm behavior around them imho. I handle often , maybe every 2 to 3 days for at least 30 minutes to few hours . they calm right down within a month or 2 . Never come at them from above ...

Baby jungle carpet pythons are another story , need welding gloves for those guys lol.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      11-11-2015 05:02 PM

Very interesting and helpful video! I also have to say that "be substrate, be substrate, be substrate..." is my favorite Jeff Corwin quote EVER Any indication that temperament is inherited? Just wonder about breeding to that---in dogs and cats basic temperament is, at least partially, inherited...and there's always going to be that hyper-vigilant, hyper-reactive individual popping up...generally those animals are not bred...don't know if it's the same in reptiles...

Snake Maniac

I am:
      ----

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      06-19-2018 02:41 PM

Cool video with lots of useful tips. I've definitely gotten a lot better about using a snake hook after getting my blood python, lol. I don't think she's ever going to be that tolerant of being handled and I'm perfectly fine with that. I have plenty of snakes that are very tolerable of being handled so I'm fine with a pretty snake that's a demon as soon as I open her tub, lol. I do find it interesting that you noticed the skin contact thing though. I've noticed this with her. I always wear long sleeves when I'm handling her and usually use a hand towel or something in one hand that I use to support her and use my other hand via the snake hook to redirect her. I've tried a couple times to loose the towel or the hook and use my bare hand and she gets noticeably more defensive each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekpc007 View Post
      Baby jungle carpet pythons are another story , need welding gloves for those guys lol.
      Yeah but they're so small they don't do much damage, lol. My male is several years old and I don't even care when he tags me, lol. His bite is nothing compared to the blood python or the boas. The main reason I don't handle him much anymore is because he's always perched on one of his branches and I don't feel like untangling him.
      “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
      www.outworldreptiles.com

Snake Maniac

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      07-09-2016 07:27 PM

Quote Originally Posted by shelleyr123 View Post
      Very interesting and helpful video! I also have to say that "be substrate, be substrate, be substrate..." is my favorite Jeff Corwin quote EVER Any indication that temperament is inherited? Just wonder about breeding to that---in dogs and cats basic temperament is, at least partially, inherited...and there's always going to be that hyper-vigilant, hyper-reactive individual popping up...generally those animals are not bred...don't know if it's the same in reptiles...
      Honestly, I am not really convinced on the inheritable temperament thing in the manner it is perpetuated. While my little brother and I are probably a good argument for behavioral quirks, I think it is far more complicated than we make it (I can explain better if you want to PM me on Facebook).

That being said, I do not believe boas inherit personalities from their parents. The parents to this particular male were/are (the mother passed, I own the father) incredibly calm and relaxed animals. Of the litter of 7, he and his sister (who I also happen to have) are both very insecure and defensive animals, though his sister has progressed much better and much more quickly than he has.

Why the two of them are so defensive compared to the others I could not truly begin to speculate, but it is something that interests me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
      Cool video with lots of useful tips. I've definitely gotten a lot better about using a snake hook after getting my blood python, lol. I don't think she's ever going to be that tolerant of being handled and I'm perfectly fine with that. I have plenty of snakes that are very tolerable of being handled so I'm fine with a pretty snake that's a demon as soon as I open her tub, lol. I do find it interesting that you noticed the skin contact thing though. I've noticed this with her. I always wear long sleeves when I'm handling her and usually use a hand towel or something in one hand that I use to support her and use my other hand via the snake hook to redirect her. I've tried a couple times to loose the towel or the hook and use my bare hand and she gets noticeably more defensive each time.
      Some animals calm down by never being messed with. I have a few like this.

I know many people do not wish to use snake hooks with boas, some do so for a sense of false bravado, but I see nothing wrong with the instrument so long as it is properly utilized. For me, it protects both me and the boa.

As for the skin contact thing, I've noticed it in a few animals. I think it has more to do with the direct contact of our body heat than anything else, but it's an interesting trigger to me nevertheless.