• Closed Thread
      Snake Keeper
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      01-01-1970 12:00 AM

Default 2 boas in same cage: good or bad?

I'm thinking of getting another red tail but before I do I have some questions. (6x2x2 cage)

-will it be stressfull to either one or will my lonely boa welcome a cage partner? (I know they both should be about the same size).
      -Do I have to quarantine (for mites) the new one before I put them together?
      -Do I need another water dish and hide box or will they share?
      -Will they get along without fighting if they're the same sex?

Are there any other factors that I have to consider? Whoever has housed boas together please let me know. Thanks.

Newbie!

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Default This is what I recommend..........................

Clone,

Well, this question will get a dozen different answers from a dozen diffrent people. Luckily I was first to answer..so listen to me only...lol(Just jokeing!)

Clone...If you can afford to..i would not put more than 1 snake of ANY type in an enclosure at the same time, with the exception being introduction for breeding purposes. Why NOT AZTEC FRED&quot; you ask. Well let me state the obvious adn not so obvious:

#1) When more than 1 snake inhabits a cage, if one snake gets sick or has a virus , mites, or any other contagious illness...than BOTH snakes catch it. In short :2 for the price of one!!

#2) Many times houseing snake communaly causes them stress. Snakes are solitary creatures, with the exception being brumateing colubrids and breeding snakes of all types. Houseing them together all the time causes them low level stress esp if the other snake is the same sex(Male to male)

#3)Feeding time is anightmare!- Evertry to feed your snake in the cage only to have it hit the glass? Well kids , the funs not over!! If you try to feedtwo constirctoras and even some colubrids in the same cage, your chanece of becomeing a snake sausage and geting bit go uip about 79%. And to top it off, snakes intimidate each other, with the more aggresive snakes getting the food. But if that doesnt happen, you often have 2 snakes constricting the same food item...and each other too!!Which can and has led to the death of one or more of the participateing parties!!Not good!

#4) Sheer boredom-She nags you incesssantly. He never picks up after himself. When you live together or are married, you get to see the other person ALL the time, which if your both intelligent, and thoughtfull people in love makes for a great life. But it oftenleads to people gtting bored with each other. Which can lead to a sex life that is as hollow as a empty can of Pringles potato chips.
      I beleive that snakes are the same way...
      Often times, after being housed together for years snakes refuse to breed at al, and have to be &quot;tricked&quot; to breed by seperateing them and reintroduceing them to stimulate breeding.
      What does this teach us class?
      Familiarity leads to contempt.......
      If caged together they may produce nothing, Frankly I dont blame them.

#5) trying to maintain good records on cages whre snakes are housed multiply is a hassle
      #6) Many snakes are cannibalstic and boas are not excluded fromthis group. nothinglike loseing your prize guyanan just to have it become &quot;dinner&quot; for that ugly male you bought at the last reptile swap...lol

#7) You mentioned quarantine. ALL snakes should be quarantined in a seperate room for no less than 3 months.
      Mites travel like wildfire, coccidea is easily spread and IBD is a deadly disease that THRIVEs in cluttered crowded collections.
      Treating a snake for mites and putting him directly into a cage with a snake you have is a recipe for disaster. If you value the animals life and your collection, segregate new purchases in another oom in a smaller cage. Many collections have been destroyed by the acquisition of a &quot;really good deal&quot; boa from an unknown source.

Well there it is. Freds no fuss- no bull 7 reasons to house snakes individually. These are just my opions, please bear in mind, but have worked for me in the last 18 or so years. Take care and e-mail if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Aztec Fred

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Default Re: 2 boas in same cage: good or bad?

Ok.. I agree AND disagree with Fred here. { HEY! Ya can't have it all Fred lol] Your biggest concern would be the quarantine thing like Fred says. I also reccomend going for a 3 month quarantine. I do settle for 1 month is some cases [ usually the boa was in quarantine previously to my getting it] MITES are NOT the only reason you are doing a quarantine ! Fred lists off other things that you need to do this for also.
      As for the feeeding inside the cage .. NOT! I don't reccomend doing such for a multitude of reasons..most of which I believe you can find on Clay's care sheets.
      Finally..YES it is possible to house more than 1 snake in an enclosure..not reccomended , BUT is possible. I take the individual snakes involved into account for this one. 99% of my collection is housed separately though, which is my reccomendation to you also.

RTB's Administrator
      is Exterminating forum bugs!

I am:
      Crazy

ReputationReputationReputation
      Blog Entries
      Images
      Last Visited
      06-16-2014 10:43 PM

Way to go Aztec!!!! *You type the long replies and I can just comment on them. * * I like it this way.. *cwm4.gif

This is one of the most often questions that I have emailed to me. *I respond with 80% of what Aztec said, plus this one little comment at the end.

If you cannot afford a second enclosure or do not have the additional space for a second enclosure, then you cannot afford another snake.
      *:'(

This comment sounds harsh, but it is intended to stress the importance of the REQUIREMENT for a snake to have its own &quot;space&quot; at certain times. There may be a hundred reasons, but Aztec mentioned most of the important ones.

It has never been a question of can two snakes exist in one enclosure.... *It is done all the time. * Healthy baby boas can be raised together for a long time, often without incident. *BUT it is WHEN something happens that you need the extra enclosure.

And IF you are 100% on top of every husbandry issue, these 2 snakes could live 20 years, have 300 babies (if male and female *;D,) and never have a health related issue. You know...
      &quot;And they lived happily ever after&quot;

However, in the real world there could be 100 things happen, that will cause them to &quot;REQUIRE&quot; seperation. *Whether this is sickness, a bite, a burn, a regurgitation, etc etc, there will be times when they must be seperated to allow recovery time. *Back to the male/female issue. *If the female becomes gravid, you will need somewhere for the male to be for 4 or 5 MONTHS.

Anyway I ramble.

Yes they can exist but not at the level they require or need.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      02-03-2005 10:27 PM

I would be correct in thinking that this goes not only for boas, but for colubrids &amp; pythons as well, right?

RTB's Administrator

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries
      Images
      Last Visited

Kahaj,

Although that sounds right, you better post a similar question for T.C. in the colubrid section.

I personally was speaking of boa constictors.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      02-03-2005 10:27 PM

Alrighty, np. cwm7.gif

Newbie!

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

i think it depends on the snakes. :my friend was holding on to my snake for me, we kept it in the same tank as his, m/f. they did great together, we just fed them separately. they loved being near to eachother, from across the room they eventually curled up together when they are out. they were together for a couple months, after i took my snake home, they both got a little sad, and spent a lot of their time looking for the other snake.

Red
      Snake Maniac
      is Nuts about crested geckos.

I am:
      Happy

ReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      03-29-2012 02:42 PM

Well I agree that it is not the best idea to put your snake in the same cage with another one but, I do it, and have never had any problems... *they sleep in the same place all tangled together... *I feed out side the cage and take them to the vet together anyways, so no problem there... *It cost me the exact same amount of &quot;$&quot; for the two of them as it would have cost me for the one, *When I took them to the vet... *Even when they had to get med's for a skin problem it still cost the same amount.. *so still no problem there... *My one is very small and the other is big the small one is still alive and the big one does not have a large lump in his tummy.. No problem there..(My large snake does not get fed that often and probley is hungery alot of the time...) *Well the moral of the story is that I think that this is a by the snake kind of &quot;?&quot;. *If your snake and another one realy like it together and you do not plan on breeding them. *Then as far as I can see there is no problem... *I once took one of the snakes out of the cage and put them in two different cages. *one right by the other. *they spent all day and night moving around in there cage for like three week's. *When they would sleep they would sleep right next to each other and stare through the glass at each other... *My large boa got out of the cage at sompoint and just curled up on top of the other one's cage.. *This is why after reading all of these post from clay and lori and doug and fred and basicly all of the people I listen to normaly I still keep the two in the same cage...
      I hope this has brought some insight too all... *
      Eric aka...Red
      P.s. *I don't dissagree with you clay,fred,and lori I just link that some times there is an exception... * these thing... *we call snakes have feeling's to. *you can't be real sicentific with it because the veriable in the epuation canges... *if any of you have been in to science you would know that if the veriable changes then the epuation is not true there for any theary would be false... *thoug it could be right 99.999% of the time in the end it would still not equate out..
      Well that is my two cent.. *and my hole pay check...
      sorry for the pore spelling...?? :P
      in the end I think that you should do what fred said though...

RTB's Administrator

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries
      Images
      Last Visited

Well Eric, that is why we have a forum.. We need ideas and experiences from everyone.

I learned a long time ago there are very few definates in reptile husbandry. There always seems to be exceptions even to the most simple rules or conditions.

Just better to understand that when Lori, Fred or I express opinions, it is associated with an abundance of experience of things that went right or wrong with us and with a multitude of other people or situations.

I kept baby boas together for the first year I started this, mainly due to space requirements, and seem to have one problem after another by housing them together.

Of course at lot of water has passed under the bridge since then and I could probably do so again and do it successfully, but just don't think I would risk it.

I knew one guy that raised a boa from a baby to a 9 year old 9 footer, and he only used a incadescent bulb for heat during the day. So it is possible for anything to work, just maybe not the best way.

We have to do what we believe is the best for us and the best for the boas. Now how's that for politically correct?

Come On Lori, straighten us out here!!! ;D

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Come On Lori, straighten us out here!!!
      UMM.. Weeell ya know.. ..hehe
      That what all us long time keepers like Fred, Clay and myself are doing when we answer a question on a public forum is.. [i] Taking all the years of experience , including the mistakes that we or others we know of have made even, and surmising them all up together in what we state in our answer[s] that we post. Most of the info we mostly agree on.. and then on occasion you may notice that some of us just will agree to disagree ..right Clay ? hehe Such doesn't mean that one answer is wrong and another correct 100%. Nothing in life is 100% the correct thing to do for ALL people in ALL circumstances 100% of the time. The same also can correlate to the husbandry of snakes/reptiles also. What may work for one, may not work for another..even in the same person's collection. BUT there is a general concensus that does need to be set forth for people to base their husbandry on in such circumstances as this one. ;D That is where you find most of us agreeing on basically the same reccomendation[s] which we set forth in the forums. Broken down what this means is that we all, when keeping reptiles responsibly, have found that there are certain items in the specific husbandry of said reptile that carry through-out in maintaining our collections at a healthy level is all.

Red
      Snake Maniac
      is Nuts about crested geckos.

I am:
      Happy

ReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      03-29-2012 02:42 PM

Ya I know... I also know that if I just put a post out there that just said &quot;I put two snakes in the same cage...&quot; Then the person probley would just think I was stupid... so I just made sure to get my point across... I this instance I did agree with you just thought I would throw that out there... see ya
      Eric aka...Red