• Closed Thread
      Newbie!
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      10-03-2003 05:55 PM

Default Columbian red-tailed boa or ball python?

I&#039;ve been thinking about getting a snake for a long time now and was wondering if anybody had some recommendations for a first-timer. I&#039;m trying to decide between a Columbian Red-Tailed Boa or a Ball Python. Which is the more suitable for a beginner? I hear Red-tails are a bit mellower.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      12-12-2004 07:01 PM

Default Re:Columbian red-tailed boa or ball python?

Well first off Welcome to the forums.

Ok where to start....

A Boa and a Ball Python are very different. The Boa will get around 7-8 feet. The ball will reach about 4.
      So with that known, do you want so spend the money on a huge cage, or do you want a smaller cage that will be cheaper. Cause a full grown Boa will require a 4 foot long, by 2 feet deep cage. A ball python requires much smaller.

Second, tamness,
      Red tail boas are very tame and mellow snakes. Ball pythons are usually also, but like alot of Pythons, they sometimes can get an attitude.

Also feeding, redtail boas usually are great feeders, they usually will never refuse food, as long as you have them in the proper setup. Ball pythons, unlike Boa&#039;s often have a hard time eating in captivity. I have owned two Ball pythons before. One died cause he just stopped eating, and the second I gave away. Some people will tell you there ball pythons eat great, but there are also those that dont. And there is nothing worse then having a snake that wont eat.

I myslef like Boas more than Pythons, but thats just me. I still think Ball Pythons are great looking snakes, and are very cool, but I am a boa guy. If I were you, I would get a Redtail boa, ( from Clay ) I think you will be much happier with it. But its up to you. Wait and see what other people have to say on this topic.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      03-27-2007 05:09 PM

I agree with Welsh, Boa&#039;s have a much better demeaner whereas ball pythons have the typical python attitude. He&#039;s also right about the feeding but I think that&#039;s limited to young balls. They are picky eaters, sometimes refusing to eat for long periods of time. That very&#039;s with each ball and the overall husbandry.

In my opinion, I&#039;de prefer a Boa, and you can purchase one from Clay right here on this website. I&#039;de only trust clay to buy baby boa&#039;s from. You&#039;re gauranteed an excellant boa purchaseing from Clay. Hope we were of some help. 8)

Big Jay 8)

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      04-02-2005 08:42 PM

I love ball pythons, and they make a good starter snake (as long as they eat well). The smaller size makes them very easy to handle throughout their whole lives. But I have noticed with my BP that they seem a bit skiddish and head shy. He won&#039;t let me come near his head (he cringes and makes like he&#039;s gonna strike sometimes), and he&#039;s easily spooked. I guess in the wild, the small size makes them easier prey for birds and such. My baby boa on the other hand loves to be rubbed on the top of the head, and shows absolutely no fear of people. In fact he loves to be handled. Just shows he&#039;ll be a great docile pet when he grows up. Ball pythons and red tail boas are both wonderful animals. I don&#039;t have one of Clays boas, but I&#039;ve heard nothing but rave reviews, and the pics of his snakes look just beautiful.
      I think I&#039;m gonna get one from him next.

Happy herping Slacker032!
      Ted

Snake Maniac

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      05-08-2005 09:10 PM

Hey Dude, Just like everyone else I say go with Boa man. I have a Boa and I have a python. Although he may be a lot cheaper, all he ever does is hide!! When I hold him all he does is curl up and I think go to slepp so dude I say, Boa all the way.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      09-15-2011 11:52 AM

I have a ball python and a boa. The ballpython will only eat in complete darkness. It took me forever to get him to eat prekilled food. He is very shy and hides all the time. But I have been told that not all of them hide like that. On the other hand the boa has eaten frozen thawed and prekilled since I got her when ever I offer. She is very active and only hides during her shed cycle. So unless you are looking for a smaller snake I say go for a boa.
      I don&#039;t have one of Clays boas, but I&#039;ve heard nothing but rave reviews, and the pics of his snakes look just beautiful.
      I got my boa from clay and she is very beatiful and healthy. Good price to.

Newbie!

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      10-03-2003 05:55 PM

I&#039;m leaning toward a red-tail but I&#039;m little apprehensive about taking care of a full grown adult. I&#039;m not sure if I have the space or the resources.

What do you guys think about the smaller subspecies like the Corn Island, Cay Caulker, and Hogg Island boas? Are they as docile and friendly as red-tails?

Thanks for all the great info everyone.

Snake Master

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      03-22-2009 12:49 AM

Hey Slacker,

Your gonna get alot that suggest Boas, after all this is a boa forum, but both can be great snakes.

BCI Columbian Boas can be great snakes as pets, I have many of them. The biggest thing to consider is can you deal with the size. If this is your first snake and you choose a Columbian boa, get a baby and get a male. A male boa will average 6 foot and will not get as big girth as a female will. Boa will with handling can become very &quot;Tame&quot; and can deal with more mistakes in husbandry then alot of other snakes, the biggest thing again to consider is the size they get and the cage they will require.

Now as far as Ball Pythons. They are great snakes. The main thing you need to do is make sure you get a Captive Born one. Ones that are wild caught tend to have issues with feeding as well as habor paracites that will need treatment. I have dealt with both WC and CB and I have never had issues with feeding CB ball pythons. The only one we still have is my wifes and it never turned down food yet. I know several people that have WC balls and they will not eat anything but gerbils. That is their normal food in the wild. And as you know, Gerbils can cost a lot at the petshops and will be expensive meals.

Both are fine choices if you can provide good homes for them. Have you considered a core snake as a first snake? They come in tons of colors and sizes. Okeette corns are not only pretty, but they can get 6-7 feet without the giant girth of a boa..

Good luck and let us know what you choose..

Your last question you asked about Hoggs, Corn Island, etc.. I do not suggest these as a first snake. Their care is alot harder, and if your off on it just a little, you can be dealing with feed and health problems.. I never suggest any type of larger boa without having atleast 1 year of work with the Columbian boas.

Welcome to the forums..

Steve

Snake Master

I am:
      ----

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      05-20-2009 10:55 PM

I am getting a colombian boa, from Clay. But I have never dealt with boas, only ball pythons.

The only eating prob we ever had, was with the first ball we got. Didnt know to feed it prekilled, so we were giving him live mice. One bit him. He refused to eat. For like 6-8 weeks, he wouldnt eat. Finally had someone that knew what they were doing come over, and force feed him a pinkie. He started eating again after that. I was only like 7, so I dont remember everything.

Got another one when I was around 15-16. I love them. The ones we had were calm, good eaters. I held them constantly. Didnt have a prob with head shyness.

It all depends on the snake, I think. I held a female boa in a pet store, and decided I wanted one.

Good luck in your snake choice

Virginia

Snake Guru

I am:
      ----

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      10-07-2010 08:47 AM

HI,
      i am going to suggest that you consider the cost of your boa and the cage you will need for its life most boa&#039;s grow very quickly the first year of their life.
      They donot do well in fish tanks and can have problems if not at the perfect temps and humidity.
      Please download the care sheets before you buy your boa, look at the boa&#039;s needs and can you afford the cage . you will need a thermostat they cost around 30.00 at big apple online.
      please go to the boaphile web page and order one of his cages its cheaper than setting up a forty critter with heat and trying to hold humidity.
      If your cage isn&#039;t right your gonna need a vet asap for RI ..
      Please only buy from a reptuable boa breeder like clay and jeff many petstore boa&#039;s have mite&#039;s stress induced RI and can evern been exposed to IBD that can take several months to show up.
      Most of the boa&#039;s clay sell are shipped to your door overnite and an excellent price for quality boa all are feeding well on fresh thawed. I ve seen them higher in petsores.
      here&#039;s a the cages buy one with heat

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/

excellent free care sheets.

http://www.redtailboas.com/general_c...eral_care.html

nice place to buy excellent boa&#039;s
      http://www.redtailboas.com/current/index.html

in the long run you&#039;ll be pleased with you boaphile cage and save money and the boa&#039;s from clay are healthy and parasite free and are easy to care for and feed.
      ok iam done
      doug
      PS ps,
      I have BP&#039;s ,BCC ,,BCI, , Hog islands..
      They are all unique each species may have certian traits but each animal is uniqe so to say all bci are puppy dog sweet maynot be 100 % correct, Nor are all hog islands grumpy I have a 6 ft female hog that I hand feed, she likes the action and has never tagged me to date.
      Now my BP babies are extremly grumpy and will tag you in a second( its my fault)
      I leave the alone most of the time cause I don&#039;t hold baby BP&#039;s until the are about 1 y/o they feed better and seem less stressed..
      good luck ,,the reason I reccomend the Boaphile cages is they hold humidity no tank will do this without considerable effort and planning.
      welcome to the site ,,
      doug

Snake Keeper

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      07-09-2004 06:27 PM

Island boas have a reputation of being more aggressive snakes. I have two hogg island boas and i have never been bitten by either one of them not even struck at.

I think its just how much you handle them. Even colombians will be agressive if its never handled.

Josh

Snake Master

I am:
      ----

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      05-20-2009 10:55 PM

I agree with Doug, to a point

You can build a cage, and keep the temps and humidity up. Ask ppl that have done that. Lee, BadBoyJay.... Thats what I plan on doing.

I also think you should do a TON of research on whatever type you are considering This is a excellant place, and I have been here for awhile, reading, asking questions

I have read all of Clays care sheets, and have done searches online. And of course, if you decide to get a boa, I think you should get it from Clay

Virginia

***Global Moderator***

I am:
      ----

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      04-02-2009 03:42 AM

I say go with the boa definitely. If your scared about the size I would recommend a male they grow slower and dont get as large and I personally think that the boa is much more of a beautiful snake. And one more thing to think about if you ever think about breeding your pet the boa gives live birth and the python has eggs that have to have very special attention. And I dont know if I am correct but the central american boa does not get as big (dont quote me lol) and the price is very close to the ball python on kingsnake.com or reptibid.com. Just a thought but then again I could be mistaken.

***Global Moderator***

I am:
      ----

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      04-02-2009 03:42 AM

oh and for the temp and humidity device I would recommend Wal-mart. In the hardware section they have a digital thermometer with a secondary sensor and humidity reader in one for around 14$. It is dead accurate and one of my best investments in my cage.

Red
      Snake Maniac
      is Nuts about crested geckos.

I am:
      Happy

ReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      03-04-2012 08:55 PM

Well I lov&#039; my boa and it was my second snake right after a ball python..
      But dude buy a corn snake they are very rewarding they will grow fast eat well not have helth problems and will look just like you want it too basicly...
      Here are some links that will give you the genral care and info about them... and some breeders that will have all the different flavors of corn snakes....
      http://cornutopia.com/ Breeder and info on this one...

http://www.serpenco.com/shop/customer/ This one is good too..

Well there is alot more just go to google if you want more...
      Eric aka...Red

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      04-02-2005 08:42 PM

Hey Red,
      I&#039;ve never been too interested in the cornsnake, but I just checked out the corncopia site and that rhino rat snake is about the coolest snake I&#039;ve seen in a long time. Do you know anything about the care required for those?

Ted

Red
      Snake Maniac
      is Nuts about crested geckos.

I am:
      Happy

ReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      03-04-2012 08:55 PM

Well give kathy a call that is her site...
      I don&#039;t know anything about them..
      She is very nice though.. She will tell you all about them on the phone or e-mail...
      Sorry I can&#039;t really
      Eric aka...Red