• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree46Likes

Thread: You will be missed

Snake Maniac
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      04-26-2017 03:52 PM

Default You will be missed

Dear Grimes, my beloved hypo motley possible het albino (lovell line),

I'm sorry you felt that the temporary tub I had you in wasn't adequate. I assure you more cages are already being built and would have been arriving in the spring. You would have been upgraded to a luxurious 3x2 cage, perhaps even with a climbing setup. I suppose I'll never know why you decided to study magic so that you could flip the latch to your cage from the outside. Surely you had other options?

I suppose all I can do is wish you well on what I'm assuming is your journey to Hogwarts to join Slytherin. It will be a perilous journey filled with twisting turns and dead ends, freezing temperatures, and rodents of unusual size. Should you decide that the journey is too much you are always welcome back and I won't judge you. I'll even get you a wizard hat!

With love,
      The person who bought you online three years ago and has fed you more or less on schedule since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Noelle7206 and acephantom903 like this.
      “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
      www.outworldreptiles.com

RTB Staff / Global Moderator
      is BASEBALL!

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      04-25-2017 01:19 PM

Default Re: You will be missed

I'm sorry your boa escaped and I hope you find him soon.

I'm also (kind of) (not) sorry that I laughed so hard at this.
      Zaphod42 likes this.

-Sean in NoCal
      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Snake Keeper

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      04-26-2017 02:46 PM

Bummer on the escape. I hope he turns up.

Snake Lover
      is Chillin' with princess butter.

I am:
      Geeky

ReputationReputationReputation

Images
      Last Visited
      04-26-2017 08:23 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
      I suppose all I can do is wish you well on what I'm assuming is your journey to Hogwarts to join Slytherin. It will be a perilous journey filled with twisting turns and dead ends, freezing temperatures, and rodents of unusual size. Should you decide that the journey is too much you are always welcome back and I won't judge you. I'll even get you a wizard hat!
      But I thought the boa in the zoo from the Sorcerer's Stone was going back to Brazil by catching a flight with Samuel L. Jackson.
      Pandorasdad and Zaphod42 like this.

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      04-26-2017 05:32 PM

We'll be expecting pics with the promised wizard hat. Hoping it's soon!
      Pandorasdad and acephantom903 like this.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      ----

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited

Haha. Thanks guys. He escaped about 2 weeks ago. I've been looking for him constantly but there are a lot of places he could have gone in the basement. There's a hole in the floor about 5ft from where his tub was that I'm assuming goes to under the house. And there are several places in the wall and ceiling that he could have gone, if he went to any of those places I doubt that I'll ever find him. He's 5ft so while not huge he's not exactly easy to miss. The week he escaped it was really cold and dropped below 20 every night. I've had a few escapees in the past but I've always found them, my hopes aren't high for a recovery this time but I'll have a wizard hat ready if he turns up!
      Pandorasdad and acephantom903 like this.
      www.outworldreptiles.com

Snake Lover

I am:
      Geeky

Images
      Last Visited

Have you tried laying a frozen thawed rat on a heat pad over night?

EDIT: If he is alive that might draw him out.
      Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
      Haha. Thanks guys. He escaped about 2 weeks ago. I've been looking for him constantly but there are a lot of places he could have gone in the basement. There's a hole in the floor about 5ft from where his tub was that I'm assuming goes to under the house. And there are several places in the wall and ceiling that he could have gone, if he went to any of those places I doubt that I'll ever find him. He's 5ft so while not huge he's not exactly easy to miss. The week he escaped it was really cold and dropped below 20 every night. I've had a few escapees in the past but I've always found them, my hopes aren't high for a recovery this time but I'll have a wizard hat ready if he turns up!
      His chances don't sound very good, with such low temperatures and for so long. Sorry...maybe you should cover those "holes"? My fingers are crossed anyway...

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by acephantom903 View Post

If nothing else, you'll have a ready breakfast.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      ----

Images
      Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle7206 View Post
      His chances don't sound very good, with such low temperatures and for so long. Sorry...maybe you should cover those "holes"? My fingers are crossed anyway...
      I am planning on covering the hole on the floor although I have mixed feelings on covering it now on the off chance he went down there because then he'd have no way of coming back up. But given how cold it's been I'm pretty sure if he went down there he's a goner. We covered up a lot of the ceiling and walls but there isn't anyway to finish covering them up without doing a lot more work in the basement. I'm in the process of getting rid of almost all of my racks and all the cages I'm replacing them with have locking doors.

Quote Originally Posted by acephantom903 View Post

I've fed a couple times since he got out, which I figured the smell alone would draw him out if he was nearby. Everybody else basically comes to their attention in their cages on feeding nights because they can smell it, lol. I did leave a rat out both times on a heat mat both times as well but still no luck.
      www.outworldreptiles.com

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

That was your basic 20:20 hindsight as far as covering it. I'd give the 'hole' more time for now as well.

Snake Lover
      is Content

I am:
      Innocent

ReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      04-25-2017 02:23 PM

I had a three year old BRB go on an unauthorized slither-about for several weeks. I found him drinking at a water bowl I'd put down for him in the snake room.

My Savu did the same last year but she was only out for two days. I found her before work after she threw a nice little party in my kitchen. I'm surprised the dogs didn't raise a fuss as she knocked several things off the counter.

Snake Keeper

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      04-26-2017 02:46 PM

I imagine it is something you've already done, but incase you haven't it's worth asking, have you looked at any of the locations that produce heat? Like water heater, refridgerator coils, etc.
      Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

I've had a few minor (short-term) escapes many years ago, but by far the most dramatic was an adult bull-snake (also many years ago) that escaped & stayed missing for about 6 months...in hibernation
      under my lower kitchen cupboards (totally out of reach or vision). She got out of a temporary holding cage (during cage cleaning) in mid-November, & turned up one evening in late May, on my kitchen
      floor, having just emerged looking for food & water, none the worse for wear. But bull-snakes do hibernate & tolerate much cooler temperatures than boas, so I (& she) were fortunate. I'm wishing Grimes
      the best outcome, and soon!

Snake Lover

I am:
      Geeky

Images
      Last Visited

If you have the cash laying around and depending on how deep the hole is, this might work.
      https://www.amazon.com/Depstech-Semi...lexible+camera
      Just get one that works with your phone

Found a longer one which doesn't matter about phones as far as I can tell but it is more expensive as to be expected.
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYTI2HV?psc=1

Snake Maniac

I am:
      ----

Images
      Last Visited

There are quite a few things in that room that produce heat, the furnace is there, washer/dryer, etc. Assuming he's still alive I'm actually worried about him burning himself because a lot of the pipes get super hot. But if he died somewhere in the basement, especially next to a heat source I'm sure I'd smell it pretty quick. That makes me think he's either in the ceiling or underneath the house. If he's under the house I doubt he's alive because of how cold it's been, he might still be around somewhere in the ceiling because that probably stays in at least the 60's. I do have a wifi camera setup that lets me know whenever it detects movement but I've never seen him on it. I used a flashlight and my camera to look in the ceiling the best I could and there's no signs of him there either. I've thought about getting one of those snake cameras and I still might but I'd have to get one of the more expensive ones because of the low light situation. Almost always in the past when I've had a snake escape they've never gone that far, but I've torn apart everything in the basement and have found zero signs of him. I've wondered if maybe he's crawled into the washer or dryer, not really sure what type of openings they have. But I kind of doubt he would have stayed there for two weeks and not moved, if he did leave that hiding spot I would have seen it on the camera.

Maybe he'll show up in 4 weeks and scare the crap out of my boyfriend...
      acephantom903 likes this.
      www.outworldreptiles.com

Snake Lover

I am:
      Geeky

Images
      Last Visited

I'm hoping for the best. Both of the snake cameras I linked have LEDs to see in the dark but no low light mode as far as I can tell.
      EDIT: The biggest issue is that because these are cheaper ones, they are non-rigid instead of the semi-rigid. You might have difficulty using it unless you taped wire to it to be able to manipulate it. (Going off of Amazon answers)
      EDIT2: The second says that it is semi-rigid but only works android 4.1 and up and IOS 8 and up.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      ----

Images
      Last Visited

I did end up ordering one of the cameras and I'll have it Friday. Part of me doubts that he went up into the ceiling because that would have required some work on his part but it's still possible. I had a 8ft boa in the past climb up a bunch of shelves in the garage and camp out there.
      www.outworldreptiles.com

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

You really should get your bf's help to tip & check the washer & dryer...they love hiding in stuff like that, & may get killed when you run them. Or call a repairman to open them up & check...better warn
      him what you're looking for, hee hee hee...you don't want to have to call the paramedics for a heart attack. They can get in from the back or underneath, & snug up between the housing and the tub part
      that spins.

The attraction is the "back pressure" sensation...and since it's not warm enough, he may just be too sluggish to leave?
      bcr_229 likes this.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      ----

Images
      Last Visited

Yeah...my boyfriend won't come into the room if the snakes are out, lol. There's sort of a crawl space behind them so once I have the camera I might be able to use that to peer around in them. The basement never gets that cold so even if he's wrapped up in there it's still be warm enough for him to move around. He's a fairly active guy so I don't he would have holed up in there and not moved for two weeks. But it's possible so I'll scope them out with the camera and pull them out if I have to. I think there is a better chance of him being behind my big stack of cages, but I'm sceptical about that too just because it's been so long I would think he would have moved by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Noelle7206 likes this.
      www.outworldreptiles.com