• Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Thread: High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE/Puckboard/Boaphile Material) - Suppliers?

Snake Keeper
      is Relaxing, faxing out resumes
      and applications.

I am:
      Cool

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      09-23-2012 12:37 AM

Default High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE/Puckboard/Boaphile Material) - Suppliers?

Hey there everyone.. I posted this on my and RTB's Facebook but I figured I'd ask again here..
      Does anyone know where I can order High - Density Polyethylene (HDPE aka 'Puck Board' like the stuff that surrounds Hockey rinks, it's also the stuff that I believe the great Boaphile uses for his enclosures and racks.) at a decent price? Preferably a place that will cut and rout for me also? and especially a place that will Laser CNC cut and rout?
      Thanks for any help guys, I'm about to go back to work and when that happens I'm going to get between 2 and 4 Boas. Probably Russo line Hogs and Tarahumaras, 1.1 of each.. I want to try to design and build a combination either double or quad enclosure, with a small rack system at the bottom of it. Thanks again!

Mike P, NYS EMT-B
      michaelapeppe@optonline.net

Current:
      1.0.0 Inland Bearded Dragon (Pogona vitticeps) - Crimson Red/Poss. Het Hypo -- Orio [Named for FDNY Battalion Chief Orio Palmer, Battalion 7, Lost his life in the Line of Duty on 11 September, 2001. RIP Chief Orio, and the rest of the 343+.]

Soon (Fingers crossed):
      1.1.x Hog Island Boa (Boa constrictor imperator) - Russo Line
      1.1.x Tarahumara Mountain Dwarf Boa (Boa constrictor imperator) - Russo Line
      x.x.x Pucalipa, Peru True Red Tail Boa (Boa constrictor constrictor) - ??
      x.x.x Suriname True Red Tail Boa (Boa constrictor constrictor) - ??
      x.x.x Blood Boa Constrictor (Boa constrictor imperator) - ??
      x.x.x Madagascar Ground Boa (Boa madagascariensis) - ??
      x.x.x Red Ackie Monitor (Varanus acanthurus acanthurus) - Chesla?
      x.x.x Yellow Ackie Monitor (Varanus acanthurus brachyurus) - Chesla?
      x.x.x Argentine Black and White Tegu (Tupinambis merianae) - ??
      x.x.x Red Tegu (Tupinambis rufescens) - ??
      x.x.x Gold Tegu (Tupinambis teguixin) - ??
      x.1.x Inland Bearded Dragon (Pogona vitticeps) - Possibly Jungle Jewels Reptiles
      x.x.x Rankins' (or Lawson's) Dragon (Pogona henrylawsoni) - ??

ColdBlooded!
      is Ball pythons rule!:)

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      07-24-2014 02:14 AM

It would probably be easier and cheaper just to order a cage from Jeff!
      tsblair likes this.

BBK-The Boa Warehouse
      is The House of " L"

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Blog Entries
      Last Visited
      06-29-2014 05:50 PM

Default Re: High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE/Puckboard/Boaphile Material) - Suppliers?

Jeff doesn't use HDPE for anything I don't believe. Also I don't think HDPE can be chemically welded or bonded.
      So I'm not certain how effective a material it would be for DIY projects.

Other than that I imagine you would have to make a bunch of phone calls to find a supplier
      of any Plastic materials with in a reasonable distance from your location.

I went through this process quite some time back just to see if I could produce my own Plastic enclosures.

A huge pain in the butt , just to find a a supplier that is near. Plus in order to get a reasonable price on
      any plastic material you need to buy in large quantities.

So it's quite a large endeavor.
      tsblair likes this.

Snake Keeper
      and applications.

I am:
      Cool

Last Visited

Default Re: High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE/Puckboard/Boaphile Material) - Suppliers?

On his website I believe it says he uses Polyethylene (Plastic Reptile Cages, Tanks and Racks. Snake, arboreal, lizard and turtle light weight custom flexwatt heated enclosures. it says it right under the Multi-unit RhinoRaxx ad). And I'd order from him - but he doesn't make what I'll need/want..
      I found some good prices but I heard some bad stuff about places like US Plastics, among others.. Such as sheets coming cracked/bent/otherwise damaged.

BBK-The Boa Warehouse
      is The House of " L"

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Blog Entries
      Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by FlashOver View Post
      On his website I believe it says he uses Polyethylene (Plastic Reptile Cages, Tanks and Racks. Snake, arboreal, lizard and turtle light weight custom flexwatt heated enclosures. it says it right under the Multi-unit RhinoRaxx ad). And I'd order from him - but he doesn't make what I'll need/want..
      I found some good prices but I heard some bad stuff about places like US Plastics, among others.. Such as sheets coming cracked/bent/otherwise damaged.
      OK I'll bite you've piqued my curiosity , exactly what are you intending to build ?

Flashover, Are you a Firefighter ?

Snake Keeper
      is One twitch shy of a straight
      jacket...

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Images
      Last Visited
      06-26-2014 02:48 AM

Try pro-line, they either have used it or are using it now. I don't remember which. But they could probably steer you in the right direction.

Snake Guru
      is reading threads and not
      working.

I am:
      Happy

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Blog Entries
      Last Visited
      07-25-2014 12:14 AM

The Boaphile uses Controlled Density Polyethylene for his racks. He uses PVC for cages.

I was unable to find (in the short time I was able to look) the term CDPE used as a category the way HDPE and LDPE are. I did, however, find this sentence on a plastic distributor website which may explain the intended meaning:

"Carefully controlled melt index and sheet orientation provides maximum formability and property consistency."

I am also curious what kind of enclosure you are planning to build. It sounds interesting.

Ed at Pro-line uses HDPE and is willing to custom build to your specifications. I would call him and get a price quote for whatever it is you want. This way you vvill have something to compare when you are calculating the cost of your project.

Snake Maniac
      is lovin' his Guyanese BCC

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      10-06-2013 03:11 AM

The price to DIY is more than the cost to buy a custom cage - UNLESS you're building a LOT of cages. Ed and I were talking one day and he was telling me that he's had MULTIPLE people contact him and ask him how to build cages out of HDPE. He used to keep it "close to his chest" but has now started rattling off everything that would be needed and how to do it. He's found that every person he's told how to do it ends up buying from him because it's cheaper. So... Trust me - just contact Ed and tell him what you're looking for.

HDPE is GREAT stuff!

jb

Snake Keeper
      and applications.

I am:
      Cool

Last Visited

I just requested a quote from Pro-Line, however the 5-bay enclosure stack he sells is over $1000. I'll see what he says, but I believe I saw the other day several plastics sites selling King Starboard and Starlite HDPE for around $20 per 48"x96" sheet, so I'm not sure if buying the enclosure would be cheaper.

What I want to do is have four display enclosures, measuring 48"x24"x18" inside measurements, one atop the other, with a small rack system at the bottom of the system. I was thinking of adding a small storage area at the top, but that's not necessary. There would be downward opening doors, with two conventional latches and one keyed lock each. Belly heated and basking lights in the enclosures, belly heat for the rack system. I'd run the system with probably a Herpstat Pro.. It wouldn't have castors, so it couldn't easily be moved (when/if I need to move it, I'll make it happen.). I'd probably have my cousin airbrush a design on it - interior and exterior. Interior I'd probably have him do a rainforest or jungle scene, which I'd then seal with something safe. Exterior I'd have him do the memorial piece that he'll be working on as a tattoo for me - which is the World Trade Center's twin towers, wrapped in a Boa Constrictor Constrictor in a defensive position symbolizing strength, a Timber Rattlesnake which was the symbol of the American Revolution, symbolizing American tenacity in the foreground in front of it in a defensive position, "Don't Tread on Me" at the bottom, In Loving Memory at the top, the number 343 which was the amount of FDNY who were murdered on that day, a Firemans Scramble or crossed irons, an Ankh (symbolizing eternal life) and a cross shaped like a battleaxe (that was supposed to be my first tattoo however my cousin unfortunately had a house fire and his computer was destroyed, along with the design.). The layout for the most part I know as I described before, but some of it is subject to change and places need to be found for the other stuff.
      For those who didn't know, I named my Bearded Dragon (with the family's blessing) after FDNY Battalion Chief Orio Palmer, Battalion 7. He was killed on 11 September 2001 in 2 WTC (the south tower). He was the first to lead a team of firemen from FDNY Ladder Company 15 and FDNY Fire Marshal Ronald Bucca to the impact zone, floor 78. They had a walkup of 34 floors. Orio is one of my personal heros, he was a great man, a great leader. All 9/11 FDNY are my heros.. But Orio, Father Mychal Judge, and Chief Peter Ganci stand out to me.

Just to clear up the design, the full design would be on the two sides of the system and the storage doors. I'd have him fill in everything he could on the front with parts of it.

My apologies for taking so long to reply guys.. Unfortunately I found out the other night that a lifelong friend of mine, who had been in a major car wreck 15 months ago, had succumbed to his injuries and complications. When I get my Hog Island Boas and Tarahumara Boas, I'll be naming the darker Tarahumara Boa Arwem, and the female Hogg Island Boa Rosa, after him.
      Boa Amarali likes this.

Snake Keeper
      and applications.

I am:
      Cool

Last Visited

I may possibly go with PVCX (Expanded PVC) which is definitely around $20-$30 a sheet.. Many of the rack and cage manufacturers use PVCX and with pretty good results.

Snake Lover
      is Learning every day

I am:
      Sneaky

Last Visited
      03-02-2012 09:25 PM

My only plastic supplier is right around 200 for HDPE a sheet (48" x 96" 1/2")
      and about half that for 1/4 inch.

As far as tools and other things to bend / weld / bond I wouldn't have a clue,
      does not seem cost effective.
      Boa Amarali likes this.

Snake Keeper
      and applications.

I am:
      Cool

Last Visited

I just saw a website that gives instructions on rack building with PVCX that would cost about $400-$500 total, including heat, wiring, the whole kit n' kaboodle.
      I am obviously going to do tons more research before committing either way.. But if it's going to cost me a good amount less, I'll build it myself. And I've seen HDPE for cheaper and in all honesty, I'd only need .100" thick. That's what Hockey arena puckboard is - 0.1" High density polyethylene, and it can stop that puck flying as fast as it does during a slapshot. The only issue I'd see with it is rigidity - you'd have to use support beams of another material to bear the vertical load.

Snake Keeper
      and applications.

I am:
      Cool

Last Visited

Here is an email I just got from a plastics supply house that I figured I'd post:
      Michael, We can do the straight cuts but at this time are not set up to do the routing. In the Excel brand 12mm x 48 x 96 white is $96.00 p/sht, 13mm x 48 x 96 Black is $100.00 p/sht, 6mm x 48 x 96 white $48.00 p/sheet (Sintra Brand $56.00) & 6mm x 48 x 96 Black(Sintra brand $60.00) Is $50.00 p/sht I would not charge extra for the type of cutting you require. Keep in mind with the thickness of the saw blade you lose bet 1/8"-3/16" So those 24" & 48" will yield less if they are full. We usually require 2-3 days for cutting. Thanks! Ken----- Original Message -----

BBK-The Boa Warehouse
      is The House of " L"

I am:
      Cool

Blog Entries
      Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBoa View Post
      My only plastic supplier is right around 200 for HDPE a sheet (48" x 96" 1/2")
      and about half that for 1/4 inch.

As far as tools and other things to bend / weld / bond I wouldn't have a clue,
      does not seem cost effective.
      I remember $180 being the best price I could find I'm pretty certain it was half inch plastic sheet.

Snake Keeper
      and applications.

I am:
      Cool

Last Visited

Just a thought.. I was thinking that, since my buddy Arwem was Brazilian, I may just change my schedule and try to acquire a Belem first.. I don't know yet =/

I got calls from 5 plastics supply houses that are willing to work with me so =) for that.

Snake Lover
      is Learning every day

I am:
      Sneaky

Last Visited

I just saw a website that gives instructions on rack building with PVCX that would cost about $400-$500 total, including heat, wiring, the whole kit n' kaboodle.
      I am obviously going to do tons more research before committing either way.. But if it's going to cost me a good amount less, I'll build it myself. And I've seen HDPE for cheaper and in all honesty, I'd only need .100" thick. That's what Hockey arena puckboard is - 0.1" High density polyethylene, and it can stop that puck flying as fast as it does during a slapshot. The only issue I'd see with it is rigidity - you'd have to use support beams of another material to bear the vertical load.
      That is pretty thin.
      If you're confident then go for it, but remember cages like boaphiles aren't put together and can never leak.
      You're also going to be a little less than HALF the thickness.

I've also never seen puckboard that thin.
      But it sounds like you've got it all figured out.

Snake Lover
      is Learning every day

I am:
      Sneaky

Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Boa Amarali View Post
      I remember $180 being the best price I could find I'm pretty certain it was half inch plastic sheet.
      For HDPE? That is a pretty good price!!!
      All plastics are not the same, HDPE isn't usually cheap.

Snake Lover
      is Learning every day

I am:
      Sneaky

Last Visited

Here is an email I just got from a plastics supply house that I figured I'd post:
      Michael, We can do the straight cuts but at this time are not set up to do the routing. In the Excel brand 12mm x 48 x 96 white is $96.00 p/sht, 13mm x 48 x 96 Black is $100.00 p/sht, 6mm x 48 x 96 white $48.00 p/sheet (Sintra Brand $56.00) & 6mm x 48 x 96 Black(Sintra brand $60.00) Is $50.00 p/sht I would not charge extra for the type of cutting you require. Keep in mind with the thickness of the saw blade you lose bet 1/8"-3/16" So those 24" & 48" will yield less if they are full. We usually require 2-3 days for cutting. Thanks! Ken----- Original Message -----
      Those aren't HDPE prices though.
      What kind of plastics are you looking at with those prices?
      (Sintra is PVC)

Snake Keeper
      and applications.

I am:
      Cool

Last Visited

I'm sorry I haven't been around guys... Unfortunately we had to bury one of my very best friends this last weekend, who was like a big brother to me.. I'll be back on here talking with everyone soon. Just, if you can spare a thought and a prayer for his wife, two daughters and mom, I'd appreciate it. Thanks everyone.

For those about to rock..
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      Awesome

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      07-25-2014 11:11 AM

1. I was looking into building my own racks and cages a while back, but the cost savings didn't justify the amount of effort compared to just buying one professionally made. For me, racks are easy to make (I use melamine sheets), and cages are quite difficult. I spent a lot of time and money building a couple of cages, and now I will only buy them premade.

I was looking at XPVC, and it can be pretty pricey.
      U.S. Plastic Corp.

2. Brazil will no longer allow the export of any native fauna. Which sucks. Because their native fauna is really neat.

3. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. That's just awful.