is Monitoring a monitor lizard

I am:
      Awesome

ReputationReputationReputationReputation

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      10-14-2017 07:07 PM

Default Identify these Boas :)

Please give your 2 cents about these animals so I can independently verify what the seller said

Thanks!

Snake Lover
      is Chillin' with princess butter.

I am:
      Geeky

ReputationReputationReputation

Images
      Last Visited
      10-17-2017 04:31 PM

Default Re: Identify these Boas :)

3rd looks like Square tail motley.
      5th looks like a normal -- maybe anery as I've been told they can be brownish rather than grey but I don't think so. What is the gene with extra black? It could also be a locality and not a mutation.

I don't know morphs well enough to guess the others.

EDIT: I do not believe that square tail motley is related to the SQT gene. Just a different look to the motley. I have heard that there is a second motley gene which more recently entered the gene pool which may or may not be related. That could mean in the future there might be a super motley that isn't doomed from birth. I still wouldn't breed them because I wouldn't want to intentionally cause an animal to be born which has near to no chance of survival. I'll let someone with lower morals do the dirty work.
      SpaceLizard likes this.

Snake Maniac
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      10-15-2017 04:13 PM

First two look like hypos. Third is a very nice motley. My guess would be that first albino pictured is from a coral or lipstick line, I'm leaning more towards coral. Fifth one looks like a normal to me. Sixth one, albino? It's hard to see the pattern on it, almost looks like it has a stripe down it's back but I can't really tell. 7th one, I'm going to say hypo motley jungle. Eighth, albino motley. And 9th one, sunglow, possibly from a coral or lipstick line although I can't tell from the picture the age of the boa. A lot of sunglows and albinos will have awesome color as babies but the lipsticks and corals tend to hold that peachy pink blushing as they age.

Do I get a cookie now?
      SpaceLizard and acephantom903 like this.
      “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
      www.outworldreptiles.com

Snake Keeper

I am:
      ----

Images
      Last Visited
      05-29-2017 04:45 PM

Hmmm what's the story on all of these??
      SpaceLizard likes this.

Snake Keeper

I am:
      Awesome

Last Visited

They came from a guy leaving the hobby. All of them have mites which I am treating and having success with. Little bit irked about that but I've dealt with mites before it's not the end of the world as a lot of people make it out to be.

They came to me as, also in order of how pics were posted:
      Females
      -Hypo het Albino, 4 years old
      -Salmon poss Jungle het moonglow, 4 years old
      -Motley het Albino, 3 years old
      - Sunglow Motley, 3 years old
      - Anery het snow, 4 years old
      - Albino Arabesque, 3 years old
      - Hypo Motley Jungle het Albino, 6 months old
      Male:
      Albino Motley Jungle 18 months
      Last pic, female:
      Sunglow, 3 years old

Said it was Coral line albino for all

Quote Originally Posted by acephantom903 View Post
      3rd looks like Square tail motley.
      5th looks like a normal -- maybe anery as I've been told they can be brownish rather than grey but I don't think so. What is the gene with extra black? It could also be a locality and not a mutation.

I don't know morphs well enough to guess the others.

EDIT: I do not believe that square tail motley is related to the SQT gene. Just a different look to the motley. I have heard that there is a second motley gene which more recently entered the gene pool which may or may not be related. That could mean in the future there might be a super motley that isn't doomed from birth. I still wouldn't breed them because I wouldn't want to intentionally cause an animal to be born which has near to no chance of survival. I'll let someone with lower morals do the dirty work.
      Pretty spot on. Although yeah the Motley is not the first line, she has speckles on her belly whereas the original line doesn't More blocky pattern too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
      First two look like hypos. Third is a very nice motley. My guess would be that first albino pictured is from a coral or lipstick line, I'm leaning more towards coral. Fifth one looks like a normal to me. Sixth one, albino? It's hard to see the pattern on it, almost looks like it has a stripe down it's back but I can't really tell. 7th one, I'm going to say hypo motley jungle. Eighth, albino motley. And 9th one, sunglow, possibly from a coral or lipstick line although I can't tell from the picture the age of the boa. A lot of sunglows and albinos will have awesome color as babies but the lipsticks and corals tend to hold that peachy pink blushing as they age.

Do I get a cookie now?
      Pretty good there, most of them are right. The Albino with the "stripe" you're noticing is probably the Arabesque, the photo quality is not good I'll have to get some more.
      acephantom903 likes this.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      ----

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited

That's a pretty nice pickup! I love the coral line and would like to add a sunglow or albino to my collection one day that comes from that line. I feel like you don't see them around much anymore. Bummer about the mites but they're easy enough to deal with if you treat aggressively for a few weeks.
      SpaceLizard likes this.
      www.outworldreptiles.com

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      10-18-2017 04:12 AM

Default Identify these Boas 😊

Wow what a great collection you have there,that albino arabesque and motley are stunning
      Fingers crossed you will sort the mites nice and fast

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
      SpaceLizard likes this.

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      10-17-2017 10:36 PM

Ah, that [mites] explains why so many are soaking & in blue...good luck w/ that, very nice looking group anyway...I can understand why you took them on.
      SpaceLizard likes this.

Snake Keeper

I am:
      Awesome

Last Visited

That's a pretty nice pickup! I love the coral line and would like to add a sunglow or albino to my collection one day that comes from that line. I feel like you don't see them around much anymore. Bummer about the mites but they're easy enough to deal with if you treat aggressively for a few weeks.
      Thanks! Yeah coral has always been on my list too so glad to have them. Look around they're floating about out there haha

And yeah I am definitely treating aggressively. I cleaned all holding bins with chlorhexidine, removed animals to another room, removed bedding and any other cage furnishings, cleaned all cages and the floor with a steam cleaner, then chlorhexidine, put paper towel down in cages, nuked everything (all cages and racks) with PAM, sprayed PAM all around the perimeter of the floor, mainly a good line where the door is so anything outside of the reptile room coming in will hit that barrier, then I let everything air dry and opened the windows for a few hours. Finished at 12:45am and just put the animals back in at 4:40am so I think I waited long enough after gassing everything lol. Made sure everything was dry etc

I also went to my buddies to pick up two adult Boas on breeding loan, as well as 7 of their offspring. He was kind enough to give me a bottle of NIX that'll create a 3 quart solution to spray all the animals. I am much more nervous with that so hopefully doesn't come to that, but the idea of treating the snakes and the environment at the same time is very appealing so.. weighing my options.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyboa72 View Post
      Wow what a great collection you have there,that albino arabesque and motley are stunning
      Fingers crossed you will sort the mites nice and fast

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
      Thank you very much! I am very happy to have a large collection like I use to. More updates to come though haha

And yeah the mites are getting obliterated here. First few days I soaked them all through their biting and displeasure, and got rid of a loooot, and today I went nuclear on the mites and can even take it a step further as I chronicled above. So, I don't think they'll last long

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle7206 View Post
      Ah, that [mites] explains why so many are soaking & in blue...good luck w/ that, very nice looking group anyway...I can understand why you took them on.
      They're soaking less and less as I've been tackling the mites so hopefully that's a sign that I'm doing a good job. Once they shed that'll help some. Regardless I am very happy to have them on board.

Thanks again everyone!

PS- While I'm at this mite extermination nuclear warfare, I should ask, do the mites affect lizards and / or geckos? Just curious because I can treat them tomorrow if need be but I've looked it up and haven't found any source saying they can infest anything other than snakes.
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      ----

Images
      Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceLizard View Post
      PS- While I'm at this mite extermination nuclear warfare, I should ask, do the mites affect lizards and / or geckos? Just curious because I can treat them tomorrow if need be but I've looked it up and haven't found any source saying they can infest anything other than snakes.
      It's my understanding that usually the mites that infest snakes don't infest lizards/geckos but it's possible. Are they in the same room as the snakes? I had to deal with a mite outbreak 5 years-ish ago and none of my lizards were affected, although they were in a different room.
      www.outworldreptiles.com

Snake Keeper

I am:
      Awesome

Last Visited

It's my understanding that usually the mites that infest snakes don't infest lizards/geckos but it's possible. Are they in the same room as the snakes? I had to deal with a mite outbreak 5 years-ish ago and none of my lizards were affected, although they were in a different room.
      They were in the same room, I'll check them all over but seems fine when I glanced at them last night.

Final question about mites / PAM.. can you mist an enclosure after it's been treated with PAM? I read that you can and remember someone saying it says on the can that you can do exactly that, however the cans I have make no mention of being able to mist the enclosure or not.

Snake Lover
      is Chillin' with princess butter.

I am:
      Geeky

ReputationReputationReputation

Images
      Last Visited
      10-17-2017 04:31 PM

You can but the only after it has completely dried. Otherwise you dilute the pesticide. Never have water in the cage when you spray it.
      SpaceLizard likes this.

Snake Keeper

I am:
      Awesome

Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by acephantom903 View Post
      You can but the only after it has completely dried. Otherwise you dilute the pesticide. Never have water in the cage when you spray it.
      Yeah last night I put all animals in bins, removed all substrate and put it into a garbage can outside, moved animals to a different room on a different floor, steam cleaned the floor of the reptile room, steam cleaned the cages and everything, sprayed everything with chlorhexidine, put down fresh paper towel and nuked all cages with PAM, sprayed PAM around the perimeter of the room (along the walls) and a lot where the door is so none can come back in from elsewhere in the house, sprayed basically everything. Opened the windows and let the cages and room air out from 12:45am to 4:40am when I put the animals back in the enclosure after everything had been dry for a while and fumes were gone

So I went nuclear on them lol. And plan to do it again every month.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know! Off I go to mist those cages because most are in shed and all could use a humidity boost regardless.
      acephantom903 likes this.