Snake Lover
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      11-22-2017 02:43 PM

Default Re: My baby Dutch

You can get cheap laser temp guns from ebay/amazon for £7-£8 so I guess thatís around $13-$15 there really nice and accurate and great for checking temps in the viv
      I wouldnít recommend taking her back in the Petshop either just make sure you donít bring any creepy crawlies back with you(the free type anyway)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
      Noelle7206 and Mybabyboa like this.

Snake Keeper
      is Me being me !!!

I am:
      Happy

Images
      Last Visited
      11-15-2017 11:32 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Richyboa72 View Post
      You can get cheap laser temp guns from ebay/amazon for £7-£8 so I guess thatís around $13-$15 there really nice and accurate and great for checking temps in the viv
      I wouldnít recommend taking her back in the Petshop either just make sure you donít bring any creepy crawlies back with you(the free type anyway)

Thank you! I will check them out.😊
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      11-22-2017 12:09 PM

FYI, I have mixed feelings about the temp. guns, though I know they are popular around here. I tried one for a while & sold it...they aren't for me. Call me old-fashioned.

FYI, it's a laser beam...so you must be very careful about where you point it, as it can damage ones eyes. My snakes are mostly colubrids, & I use glass tanks with metal
      screen-type tops...it's not safe to read temps thru them because if the beam hits anything metal (even a tiny wire) it can bounce backwards off of it, maybe even into your
      own eyes. Just keep that in mind. (I don't know what kind of top or ventilation your cage has-)

Mine was a Ryobi...and I also didn't find it to be all that accurate: I often had to take two readings to get a correct one. Not saying all are like that, & maybe it was only
      the one I had, not the brand, who knows? Anyway, none of my snakes have critical temp. needs & I decided they are best measured with basic thermometers as always.

Snake Keeper
      is Me being me !!!

I am:
      Happy

Images
      Last Visited

I will just try my husbands out before I get one for myself. I have digital temp thermometers in all my tanks one on both sides. But thanks for the heads up.

Snake Keeper
      is Me being me !!!

I am:
      Happy

Images
      Last Visited

So I went to feed Dutch today and noticed that my ball pythons eye are foggy. Then when I went to feed Dutch I saw that she missed the f/t hopper. Well what are the odds I said.... Ugh😲 Both my snakes are in shed right now...Isn't this too soon for Dutch to be shedding???

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Mybabyboa View Post
      So I went to feed Dutch today and noticed that my ball pythons eye are foggy. Then when I went to feed Dutch I saw that she missed the f/t hopper. Well what are the odds I said.... Ugh Both my snakes are in shed right now...Isn't this too soon for Dutch to be shedding???
      Hard to say, since I don't know when she shed last...but probably not too soon: 'baby' snakes often shed about once a month when fed at normal (for captivity) intervals.
      (ie. once every 7-10 days) Sometimes it's better to look first, before you get their food ready, lol...

Snake Keeper
      is Me being me !!!

I am:
      Happy

Images
      Last Visited

She was in her hide and I didn't want to startle her...lol Today she will be 8 weeks old. My other snake had her last shed on September 1st and everything went wonderful. I did think she would have shed this soon.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Well now you know...

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Itís quite normal for a little boa once being properly fed to shed every 4-6weeks

Snake Keeper
      is Me being me !!!

I am:
      Happy

Images
      Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Richyboa72 View Post
      Itís quite normal for a little boa once being properly fed to shed every 4-6weeks

Do I need to make sure her humidity is higher then normal just like I do with my ball while she is in shed?? I think I know the answer but always want to make sure first. lol
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Lover
      is Chillin' with princess butter.

I am:
      Geeky

ReputationReputationReputation

Images
      Last Visited
      11-20-2017 02:50 PM

Do I need to make sure her humidity is higher then normal just like I do with my ball while she is in shed?? I think I know the answer but always want to make sure first. lol
      Yes. You could give them a bath when they first start going blue (shallow lukewarm water -- warm to where it doesn't feel cold to you but not warm either) for 10 minutes and/or raise the humidity by 20 percent. I usually just spray down the cage pretty heavily which will raise the humidity to 99% on the cool side and 80% on the warm side which will be good enough for the whole day.

@Noelle7206 the lasers in typical laser pointers will cause you to blink before causing damage.
      "Eye Hazard

For direct damage to the eye, the exact severity will be due to many factors: beam power, exposure time, beam/eye relative motion, distance from the laser, retinal injury location, and a person’s physiological/genetic susceptibility to eye injury (some people are more sensitive than others)

If a person deliberately stares into a laser, even a small 1 milliwatt beam could cause a spot on the retina

Safety standards are based on a person blinking and/or turning away from a bright light. Taking this into account, an accidental exposure to a 5 milliwatt beam is considered tolerable, as long as the person is not overriding their blink reflex. A 1998 Lancet article by Mensah, Vafidis and Marshall states “A 5 mW laser with high retinal irradiance is too weak to cause retinal damage, even if shone in the eye for several seconds.
      After some point, even blinking and moving isn't fast enough to prevent injury. As a very rough approximation for laser pointer use, above 10 milliwatts the potential hazard from general use outweighs the benefit of a brighter beam.

At around 100 milliwatts, an accidental exposure at close range may cause a change to the retina which can be defined as an eye injury. The victim may or may not notice it depending on where the spot is on the retina. The injury may heal after a few days or weeks if the exposure is not too severe. According to the 1998 Lancet article, “Between 100 and 500 mW of diode energy is required to produce a clinically retinal burn.”"
      Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

That would likely help....OR, you can offer a "humid-hide", which is what I do for some of my snakes. My little Aussie spotted python sheds in a million pieces
      if I don't do that, but she loves the humid-hide. It's actually a large plastic food container with an entrance hole cut in the snap-on lid. Inside is either very moist
      moss (sold in garden & florist supply stores) or moist orchid bark. Even my corn snakes love this option & shed better...especially in winter (when homes lose
      humidity because of the heat we run). "If you build [make] it, they will come..." Snakes that need more humidity may never want to use their warm-side dry-
      hide again...so you might want to keep it available all the time, located for warmth & checked often to add water. It's not as messy as spraying down the whole
      cage, & if the hide you make offers the right size & secure feeling, your snake will appreciate it as much as mine obviously do.

I recently had available a large "clam-shell" dinner take-out box (about 10" square, black styro)...it had only dinner rolls in it, so I washed it & cut a doorway,
      added damp moss & offered it to a corn snake that was blue (& never had one before). I showed her the entrance & she snuggled in happily until her shed,
      which was perfect.
      acephantom903 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Thank you, acephantom903, for sharing all that technical information about laser temp. guns. I had that happen, the beam bounced back into my eye...&
      of course I blinked, and was relieved to have suffered no damage that I'm aware of...but still, it's something I disliked about using that device, and some-
      thing that the instructions didn't really warn adequately about. I prefer to error on the side of caution (which is why I've held up so well after so many years,
      I guess?) I wasn't that happy about the performance of the temp. gun I had anyway (I often had to take 2+ readings to get one accurate one), and with the
      type of metal mesh screen tops on all my cages, it just was bound to keep happening...unless I went to all the trouble to open them up just to take a reading.
      I re-homed my temp. gun (turns out 'temp' was short for temporary), & saved the happy buyer a little money too.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

I always increase the humidity when I see them all zombie eyed, just by misting a little bit more

Snake Keeper
      is Me being me !!!

I am:
      Happy

Images
      Last Visited

I have wonderful new after all the information that you all have given me. All the extra misting that I have done with Dutch. I can home to mist her again and saw what I thought was poop next to her in her hide was her shed. I carefully unrolled it and found two eye caps still part of the head shed. Woot woot!! Thank you all!!! Can I use Schultz's all natural green moss?
      Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Congrats! Now to teach her to poop inside the old skin as she sheds it, the ultimate in tidiness! (yes, really, some snakes do that, though not consistently & it's just luck-
      of course if you wanted to save that shed, you're OUT of luck, lol)
      Always check the shed for the tail tip too...not usually an issue for boas (or snakes with fatter tails) but it's a good habit, to make sure.

Sorry but I'm not familiar with the specific brand (Schultz) for moss...many things are "natural" and yet unsafe...what does the fine print say? where did you buy it? (ie.
      what is the intended use?) The one I'm currently using is "Beaked moss- kindbergia oregana" reptile bedding from Zilla, but I've also bought sphagnum moss from
      garden/florist suppliers that seemed clean & safe, can't recall the brands. It's probably fine...I'd give it a sniff...it should smell "green" (like plants) & no chemical smells.
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Keeper
      is Me being me !!!

I am:
      Happy

Images
      Last Visited

Ok. I will check for the tip of the tail. I just had a bad eye cap experience with my other snake and I know jt can make them blind in that eye if they retain too many. As always I'm learning many things to remember!!
      Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Keeper
      is Me being me !!!

I am:
      Happy

Images
      Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle7206 View Post
      Congrats! Now to teach her to poop inside the old skin as she sheds it, the ultimate in tidiness! (yes, really, some snakes do that, though not consistently & it's just luck-
      of course if you wanted to save that shed, you're OUT of luck, lol)
      Always check the shed for the tail tip too...not usually an issue for boas (or snakes with fatter tails) but it's a good habit, to make sure.

Sorry but I'm not familiar with the specific brand (Schultz) for moss...many things are "natural" and yet unsafe...what does the fine print say? where did you buy it? (ie.
      what is the intended use?) The one I'm currently using is "Beaked moss- kindbergia oregana" reptile bedding from Zilla, but I've also bought sphagnum moss from
      garden/florist suppliers that seemed clean & safe, can't recall the brands. It's probably fine...I'd give it a sniff...it should smell "green" (like plants) & no chemical smells.
      Thank you!! I will look at the fine print!!😀

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

I'm a "label-reader", lol...but just in case it might have been "treated" to kill insects (if used for floral arrangements, who knows?), just better safe than sorry. And
      you'll be soaking-rinsing & draining it before use also...and just a word of advice, the draining part is messy! Little pieces come off that might clog your sink, so drain
      it outside over the garden... (spraying it isn't enough, it needs to completely soak)

I've used moss (various sources) for years, haven't had any problems, but you never know what some company might think is a "good idea"? -I can remember my
      mom buying shelf paper to line kitchen cupboards that was treated w/ insecticide to kill bugs...I think it was called "No bugs m'lady"? Sure hope it's no longer around!
      She was phobic about spiders, it wasn't even that we lived any place with roaches. If she vacuumed up a spider, she was unable to empty the vacuum, lol..."but mom,
      it's dead dust now!" I can remember one place where our laundry was in the basement, where there were spiders, of course: she'd spray-starch them to the wall until
      they quit moving, ha! Sorry to digress... I'm just glad she didn't have the nuclear launch codes.

And you're correct to check for the shed eye-caps...that's a real headache if they stick on & build up. Tail tips- it's usually snakes with skinny tails, like my colubrids.
      Incomplete shedding on tail tips can cause tissue death & loss of the tail tip, because the skin left on constricts the blood flow as the snake grows larger and the old skin
      doesn't.
      Mybabyboa likes this.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

I work in a big garden centre in the U.K. and the moss we sell to do hanging baskets is all natural,I used to buy it for damp hides when I had corn snakes due to lay eggs ,I used to still give a really good soak before using it too

Mybabyboa likes this.