I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputationReputationReputation

Images
      User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      12-12-2017 06:59 PM

Default Re: My new female Colombian x hog island

Congrats Walter. I like your cage decor.

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited
      12-11-2017 06:03 PM

Thanks. It has some limitations as it’s a fireplace in my living room but it’s working out pretty well. don’t be fooled by the super bright looking light. It’s much more mellow in real life
      Noelle7206 and Richyboa72 like this.

Snake Lover
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      12-16-2017 03:01 PM

Boas certainly like there food thatís for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      12-16-2017 01:33 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Walter3rd View Post
      Thanks. It has some limitations as it’s a fireplace in my living room but it’s working out pretty well. don’t be fooled by the super bright looking light. It’s much more mellow in real life
      That's very attractive & clever...I don't think I've ever seen a fireplace conversion before. I trust you keep the flue closed?

(and I hope you don't have any power outages & need the fireplace....)
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited

Thanks yes the flu is sealed completely shut. We have a fireplace in the back of our house that we use to burn wood We do not use this one in the front of the house. Itís much more attractive looking then a big black ugly hole in the wall covered in dust.
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited

Thanks yes the flu is sealed completely shut. We have a fireplace in the back of our house that we use to burn wood We do not use this one in the front of the house. It’s much more attractive looking then a big black ugly hole in the wall covered in dust.
      Couldn't agree more...in fact, it's quite attractive. A little challenging to service the cage though maybe? Do you have it on rollers so it slides out?
      Anyway, it's a beautiful use of space.
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited

No rollers just elbow grease. not easy but I was forced to get creative. Iím still planning to fabricate a bigger enclosure that will be much better to service in the future. Stay tuned.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited

Wondering how often other members red tails bask in there water? Noticed my girl in her water for the first time since Iíve had her. Humidity is 60% donít think thatís a reason
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Default My new female hog island

It can be a sign of mites so just keep an eye out , my longicauda female often likes a decent soak , but sometimes itís just to poop in there, tramps arenít they sometimes

acephantom903 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Wondering how often other members red tails bask in there water? Noticed my girl in her water for the first time since I’ve had her. Humidity is 60% don’t think that’s a reason
      Mostly they don't soak in their water....it can mean a snake has mites though....they try to alleviate the irritation by drowning them, but without treatment to kill mites,
      your snake won't win that battle without your help. So look very closely for little specks in the water & on your snake. The complex furnishings will have to be discarded
      if you find mites & have to treat for them. That's why we recommend that when you first get a snake, you keep them on white paper towels with minimal furnishings for
      a while until you're sure there are no parasites. (white paper towels also highlight the stool, which can also reveal health issues) If your snake came with only a "few"
      mites, they can quickly explode exponentially & kill your snake without serious intervention...each one taking just a tiny bit of blood. They often hide on a snake's chin,
      under scales, around the eyes & even the vent. Get a magnifier & check...

Another reason snakes soak in their water is if the cage is too warm...the water would be the coolest place...snakes MUST have part of their cage where they can get
      away from the heat...the BCI I used to have often chose the "cool side" at 75-77*. Temps are easier to fix than mites, so I hope this is the issue.

Snakes may also soak if they feel dehydrated...like if you feed them when they are already going into a shed: both functions (shedding & digestion) require additional
      water from the snake's body. Use a small flashlight (in dark room is best) to check for haze in your boa's eyes indicating an oncoming shed.
      acephantom903 and Richyboa72 like this.

Snake Lover
      is Chillin' with princess butter.

I am:
      Geeky

ReputationReputationReputation

Images
      Last Visited
      12-15-2017 06:48 PM

Default Re: My new female hog island

Some animals will chose to play/rest in the water just because they like it but it is not the norm for the species.
      Noelle7206 and Richyboa72 like this.

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited

So I put a tiny spec under our microscope and saw a mite. I found this by pouring the water dish on paper towel and examined under the microscope. I read remove all things, spray down enclosure with isopropyl alcohol and let sit for a couple hours. Wipe down with water. Thoughts on treating the actual snake? Ugh... thanks for your help. If mites are seen around eyes etc is there a way to remove them safely? Thanks a million. I’m guessing she came with these from the reptile show. Don’t remember the other snake having a soak in her bowl. At least she told me. thanks.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Oh thatís a spot of
      Bad luck, hopefully you have caught them early enough, gonna be a pain to get rid of them, make sure you strip back and either replace all the
      Branches etc or sterilise all the equipment and keep everything to a minimum till you see them gone, not
      Sure whatís available in the states but we use callingtons, not sure itís over there, but Iím sure everyone on here will be able to help on that

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

So I put a tiny spec under our microscope and saw a mite. I found this by pouring the water dish on paper towel and examined under the microscope. I read remove all things, spray down enclosure with isopropyl alcohol and let sit for a couple hours. Wipe down with water. Thoughts on treating the actual snake? Ugh... thanks for your help. If mites are seen around eyes etc is there a way to remove them safely? Thanks a million. I’m guessing she came with these from the reptile show. Don’t remember the other snake having a soak in her bowl. At least she told me. thanks.
      By the time a snake is soaking in the water bowl, they have a serious infestation, even if you "only found one". Mites hide under scales...

First, bathe her in mildly warm soapy water for about 30 minutes so as many mites as possible drown. Use Ivory or pet shampoo designed for puppies/kittens ONLY.
      (the surfactant action of the soap makes them drown...but don't count on killing them all this way) Repeat on subsequent days as needed...this is safe* (no side effects)
      IF done correctly- *see below. You can 'try' the alcohol on the cage...I'm not familiar with that method so I can't say how effective it is or isn't. Keep in mind when you
      are handling the snake that some mites may decide to cling to you or your clothes temporarily...so don't give them back to her, change your clothes often...

MOST members here who've had to deal with mites have been successful using "PAM". Note, that is NOT the cooking spray...it stands for "Provent-A-Mite", and you need
      to follow instructions to the letter. You can order that online. I have never had to use it...I've only ever dealt with mites on new snakes twice in all the decades of keeping-
      and that was long before PAM was on the market, so I'll not detail how we did it in the old days, as it requires a long explanation for safety. PAM can kill (or injure) your
      snake if used improperly too...it's used ONLY on the cage, & the snake must not be put back until the cage is totally dry.

Any cage furnishings (fake plants & bark/logs) should be thrown out, as mites will hide in them only to return when your snake is home again.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with mites...many say they have to repeat the PAM also but don't give up. Keep in mind that the dreaded IBD is thought to be spread by
      mites going from one snake to another...which is why it's SO important not to buy a [risky] snake with mites in the first place. Any breeder/salesperson who tells you that
      mites are "normal" is a liar...go elsewhere. And don't underestimate the ability of mites to kill a snake that is so many times bigger. As far as mites around the eyes/face,
      when you give her a soapy bath, obviously you cannot dunk her whole head, but use a damp rag to wipe her face & eyes as much as you can. *DO NOT let her drink soapy
      water...never leave a snake alone in soapy water...it causes havoc on their stomach, and surviving mites is enough for her to deal with without having diarrhea & vomiting
      from ingesting soap, no matter how mild it is.* (don't use "detergent")

Mites are a pain, but "this too shall pass" if you get right on this & you're thorough. She might have fewer "speckles" when you're done though...

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited

Thanks for all the input. Guess it’s time tor a total cage throw out! Better safe than sorry. I will heed your advise. Is it OK to construct hides etc. from white pine lumber from Lowe’s. Assembled with no glue and left un stained? Thank you

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited

Never mind about the wood. Iím just gonna use paper towels and some cardboard Hides . Quick question. How will I know when the mites are all gone considering theyíre so small. Do I just wait for her to stop soaking in the water as a sign? Let me know thanks again

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Never mind about the wood. I’m just gonna use paper towels and some cardboard Hides . Quick question. How will I know when the mites are all gone considering they’re so small. Do I just wait for her to stop soaking in the water as a sign? Let me know thanks again
      You'll really have to be vigilant to know...many have thought all mites gone, only to have a few survive & come back. (sorry! I know that's not what you want to hear-)
      Mites are really tiny...consider how small they start out, when you have trouble seeing the adults. That's why it's best to follow the directions (PAM) to the letter, & do
      not be in a hurry to re-decorate the cage.

I wouldn't throw out the cage itself, unless there are crevices that cannot be dealt with...I assume you meant all the pretty furnishings? Sadly, that's the recommendation.

They sell rather ugly black plastic hides that no mites can hide in, but for the time being, cardboard that you can discard is fine as well. You CAN make a hide box out
      of pine & nail it together, you'll have to treat the wood with a non-"VOC" waterproofing product that is safe once totally dry. Best hide my BCI ever had was just such
      a hide that I made, with a top tile-board...it was large, covering over half the cage floor & fitting as close as I could, so it became like a 2nd story...it had the stability*
      she loved to bask on top of, and the depth below w/ heat from UTH that she felt safe in. (*I used a new, washable rubber-backed carpet floor mat on top so she had
      traction & the mat was the same size as the hide.)

About the soapy-soak: the water should not be terribly deep either, just enough to cover her body. Remember snakes can swim but
      NOT when they cannot stretch out (as in a bathing container) and they get nervous at the lack of traction too. Your best bet is to keep
      your hands on her, keeping her calm in the soapy water. Also, don't be in a rush to feed her while treating for mites...all this treatment
      is apt to make her regurg. any food given...and that only hurts her further.
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited

Thanks. Iím heading out of town till Sunday night but wanted to get going on all this stuff. Cage totally empty. All deco trashed. Paper towel on floor. Clean water bowl. Cardboard hides. Cardboard elevated basking area. Itís a start. Bathed her in weak ivory solution. Hoping Iím heading in the right direction. Iíll continue my attack once I return on Sunday. Today was her feed day but I skipped it. She looks great to my eye but now I know that means nothing.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

So did you try the alcohol on the cage (in the meantime)? Let us know if that seems to work...who knows? (I sometimes use isopropyl alcohol as an extra layer of cage
      disinfection & it does kill some insects, though not ants, so I'm not sure about mites.) The good thing about alcohol is that it evaporates leaving nothing harmful so it's
      probably worth a try, especially if you have to order (& wait for) PAM.
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited

I read about it somewhere. I’ll get Pam when I return. Thanks again. Pam has been ordered.