• + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree38Likes

Thread: My new female hog island

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      12-16-2017 01:33 PM

Default Re: My new female Colombian x hog island

How goes the battle, Walter3rd?
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited
      12-11-2017 06:03 PM

So I received my reptile spray that is designed to be sprayed on the snake. Still waiting on Pam. However she is in shed at the moment so I’m holding off until after her shed to spray her down. I did do the ivory soak. I have not seen her in her water bowl soaking sense the first time I posted. I have looked at her closely and do not see any visible mites. She seems to be resting comfortably and after She sheds I will follow directions wait a couple days and spray her down. The fact that she is not soaking and her water bowl makes me feel somewhat relieved. Still waiting for the pan to spray down her enclosure. However the other spray says it can also be used on equipment. The reptile spray bottle has a picture of a Boa on it and I believe that was the one recommended. After she sheds I will look her over thoroughly and follow directions and spray her down with the product. Also I will spray the cage once Pam arrives. I’m cautiously optimistic. Aside from her cage looking horrible. Ha ha the biggest pain is keeping humidity up now that I don’t have any of my bark plants etc. I’ve got three water bowls paper towels sponges etc. and still pain in the butt to keep it 50 and above
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Noelle7206 and Richyboa72 like this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited

Mites are not a battle that you'll win "overnight" but you'll get there, and it's all worth it. Our pets are loved members of our family...my bigger (& oldest) dog just
      had her teeth cleaned & needed one extraction; while she heals, she is only allowed mushy food and NO toys (ie. no chewing) for 2 weeks (!), which is already torture
      for BOTH of my playfully-silly dogs. I'm getting dirty looks (where's my toys?) & they'll be driving me crazy... Their pricey kibble does not completely soften in warm
      water (even after 90 minutes!?) so I've taken to crushing the kibbles with a hammer before adding water. Hang in there! Mites & an ugly cage too shall pass...

BTW, I'm not sure you should wait for her to shed before using the spray you just got. I've not used that product, it may or may not affect her shed...I hope someone
      who is familiar with it will share their thoughts on that. *Personally, I hate to let mites get any sort of head start, & shedding can take a week or more. And maybe the
      fact that you aren't seeing mites now might just mean that they are under the old skin & working on the "new frontier"???

Personally, I'd probably try to contact the manufacturer of the Reptile Spray for more information, &-or start another thread here with that product question specifically?
      If it's not recommended to use the spray, you can still give her soapy baths...that way mites in hiding will keep dying off. (*they reproduce so rapidly!)

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited

What are your thoughts on her not soaking anymore? We did that for 2 days before I stripped her enclosure. I was concerned that the mite spray might effect her shed. It says wait at least 6 hours after the shed to use. I was also hoping the continued bathing would not stress her out in a bad way. I wish I could see what Iím battling. It would help me gauge my progress:
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Walter3rd View Post
      What are your thoughts on her not soaking anymore? We did that for 2 days before I stripped her enclosure. I was concerned that the mite spray might effect her shed. It says wait at least 6 hours after the shed to use. I was also hoping the continued bathing would not stress her out in a bad way. I wish I could see what I’m battling. It would help me gauge my progress:
      That helps to know what the mite spray actually says about shedding, so based on that, I agree & would wait until after her shed by at least 6 hours.

How has she been reacting to the soapy-soak (bath)? I think I'd go ahead and continue that*...the soap is killing some mites & the water should help her shed,
      especially since you're having so much trouble keeping up the humidity. *Not all snakes are passive when shedding, some are fairly cranky...it's an instinctive
      defense mechanism, since their vision is impaired...so you may have to take more time to reassure her during the process. Once a day is what I'd try for. As
      I recall, the soap actually plugs them up so mites can't breathe & they drown. It's essentially a mechanical process to kill mites, rather than chemical warfare.

Most people underestimate mites for the very reason you mention: those little suckers are hard to see! But they reproduce exponentially, that's the danger.
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Default Re: My new female hog island

If she is rebelling at the process of "bathing", remember than most snakes dislike any lack of traction. You might try wrapping her in a nice towel,
      then gently submerging her (and the towel) in the soapy water, keeping your hands on her & her head above the water. She might feel more secure,
      & the soapy water will do its job by way of the soggy towel on any part of her that's not completely underwater.

And to be clear, I'm not saying you won't need a little "chemical warfare" to completely get rid of all mites...it's just that that should be the method
      you use most sparingly, a last resort- for the sake of your snake's health. Less is better when using any pesticide as side effects can be harmful.
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited

So my girl just shed and I picked her up to inspect and she looks fantastic. I canít see any mites with my eye and she has not soaked in her water since I first noticed it at the beginning. My reptile spray says it can be used on the snake as well as enclosure. It seems a bit more gentle than the Pam which should arrive today. I heard good things about mineral oil for the snake as itís more gentle than chemicals and will smother the mites. Seems safest way. Have others used mineral oil? Apon close examination should you be able to see mites it present? Do you need to spread scales on throat etc? Are they all of a dark color like the one I found in her bowl? I was hoping to feed her on Thursday. Advise? Thoughts. She seems to look and act great. Thanks.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Walter3rd View Post
      So my girl just shed and I picked her up to inspect and she looks fantastic. I can’t see any mites with my eye and she has not soaked in her water since I first noticed it at the beginning. My reptile spray says it can be used on the snake as well as enclosure. It seems a bit more gentle than the Pam which should arrive today. I heard good things about mineral oil for the snake as it’s more gentle than chemicals and will smother the mites. Seems safest way. Have others used mineral oil? Apon close examination should you be able to see mites it present? Do you need to spread scales on throat etc? Are they all of a dark color like the one I found in her bowl? I was hoping to feed her on Thursday. Advise? Thoughts. She seems to look and act great. Thanks.
      Do NOT use mineral oil (or any other oil, for that matter) on any snake (other than dead ones, lol). Yes it will smother mites, but it will soak into the skin causing
      horrible sheds for some time to come. Keep in mind that skin (snake or reptile) is essentially a semi-permeable membrane...it's designed to "breathe" and be able
      to absorb moisture. Guess what oil does for that? Nothing good! Also, as harmless as "mineral oil" sounds, keep in mind it's a petroleum product...potentially toxic
      at the worst, but certainly not natural at the very least. Yes, I've heard of ppl using it this way...just advise against it. (same for olive oil or any other)

Your snake may still have mites that you cannot see: did you use magnification (maybe a jeweler's loupe?) & look under all the scales? I didn't think so... You have
      probably gotten rid of MOST of the mites so far, but if ANY remain, their population will exponentially explode again. Mites are normally a "dark color" including dark
      red from the blood they've dined on, but because they're so tiny, mostly look brown/black to the naked eye.

I'm glad she is looking & feeling good after her shed, but if she were my snake, I'd continue to use your Reptile spray as directed on her, &/or occasional soapy water
      soaks...AND I'd treat her cage with PAM as directed a.s.a.p. Mites lay eggs on the snake & thus tend to reappear as generations grow up to feed on your snake. That
      is why most keepers think they are done (with one big treatment) only to find they have to re-treat. I don't remember off-hand how long their life-cycle is, but I sure
      wouldn't quit now.

Also, since your PAM is due to arrive any day, I'd wait until a few days AFTER using that to offer her a meal. Yes, she'll be hungry & cranky, but better that than sick.
      Boas & other snakes in nature do NOT get meals delivered on a schedule & I can assure you that they can handle fasting. No danger from holding off this meal, but
      some danger in going ahead with it: not a hard choice. (Snake keeping is a great way to practice patience...LOL)
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

And btw, I didn't mean to imply that you SHOULD look under all the scales. There's no way to really "spread all the scales" to check for mites hiding, and they blend
      in quite well on most snakes...that's why we need to do a thorough job with the right products known to be safe and effective.
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Keeper
      is married

I am:
      Friendly

Images
      Last Visited

Thanks. Iím really happy she had a perfect sheíd considering I was struggling with humidity hovering between 40-50 %. Small victories I guess.
      Richyboa72 likes this.