• Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree32Likes

Thread: TOS and Member Agreement Please read and read again!

RTB Staff / Global Moderator
      is The House of " L"

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Blog Entries
      User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      05-11-2018 04:55 PM

Default Re: TOS and Member Agreement Please read and read again!

You can repost your posts and Images anywhere you want . . . . is the way I read it

What I do not understand is what is meant by "screen shot" ?. . . . . . . Who in the right mind would take a screen shot of
      somebodies post and use it to post somewhere else ?

Most people would just grab the image URL and if they want to use the same text then that's what they'd do . . . . . .

So certainly this is confusing for me to comprehend the entire over all meaning of !

is BASEBALL!

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      07-27-2017 09:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Boa Amarali View Post
      What I do not understand is what is meant by "screen shot" ?. . . . . . . Who in the right mind would take a screen shot of
      somebodies post and use it to post somewhere else ?
      People do it though. I'm sure Clay doesn't want the forum he worked hard to build to appear in other forums.

-Sean in NoCal
      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Snake Maniac
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      11-29-2016 08:29 AM

No clarification on this from the top? I've checked a couple of other forums and NONE of them have any TOS language which allows the forum to be the copyright owner of original pictures, thoughts, videos, etc simply because they're posted on said forum. Again, if that is in fact "the way it is" then I can't allow myself to post on this forum any longer and I'd be SHOCKED that anyone else would either.

I'm reading the language in two ways. 1) anything a person posts becomes the copyrighted property of RTB. 2) screenshots from this forum can't be posted anywhere else but this forum. One or both of these is right and I'm just asking for clarification (and language revision) as to which it is. @ClayEnglish ... any word on this?

jb

is Ball pythons rule!:)

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      06-07-2018 04:46 AM

I talked to Clay briefly about another matter and mentioned this thread. He is on vacation and I would suspect him to take a look when he gets back.:-)
      Spo0led likes this.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      11-29-2016 08:29 AM

@Atrayu Any word on this? Been about a week and a half and I haven't seen anything from Clay.
      Thanks!
      jb

is Ball pythons rule!:)

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      06-07-2018 04:46 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
      @Atrayu Any word on this? Been about a week and a half and I haven't seen anything from Clay.
      Thanks!
      jb
      Not yet. He is aware of the thread though.
      Boa Amarali likes this.

ColdBlooded!
      is looking for trouble

I am:
      Secret

ReputationReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Blog Entries
      Images
      Last Visited
      09-30-2016 12:31 PM

Language like that is pretty common in the TOS of several of the photo sites I use. I would be worried if it said that anything posted becomes "Exclusively" copyrighted material of RTB.com, because that would mean surrendering the copyrights you automatically have on any photos, etc, you produce.

Since it only says that material posted becomes copyrighted property of RTB.com, it would be interpreted as placing an additional layer of copyright protection on anything posted here. Agreeing to allow someone else to place copyright protection on intellectual property that you've already got copyright to, does not diminish your original copyrights.
      Boa Amarali, Spo0led and MissTwib like this.
      "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

is The House of " L"

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Blog Entries
      Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench133 View Post
      Language like that is pretty common in the TOS of several of the photo sites I use. I would be worried if it said that anything posted becomes "Exclusively" copyrighted material of RTB.com, because that would mean surrendering the copyrights you automatically have on any photos, etc, you produce.

Since it only says that material posted becomes copyrighted property of RTB.com, it would be interpreted as placing an additional layer of copyright protection on anything posted here. Agreeing to allow someone else to place copyright protection on intellectual property that you've already got copyright to, does not diminish your original copyrights.

@monkeywrench133 ,

Like I've been trying to say Erin . . . . . . You're the Man !

You explained that like an Attorney interpreting a copyright contract !

Spo0led likes this.

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      06-30-2017 01:09 PM

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench133 View Post
      It also means that if Clay wanted to write a book/publish posters/create any other derivative work solely consisting of copied and pasted text and images from the forum without any sort of attribution, he's free to do so. Not saying that he would, be he does own the copyright to everything here (like you said, without anyone surrendering their rights to their own work).

@jb, you're still free to post links to your blog posts and other things offsite if you're concerned about IP ownership.
      Spo0led likes this.

RTB's Administrator
      is Exterminating forum bugs!

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries
      Images
      Last Visited
      09-04-2015 09:09 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
      Am I reading this correctly? Once I post MY PICTURES which I'VE TAKEN and by law am the Copyright owner of and am free to do with as I please, I simply hand over the rights to them to rtb?

Someone please tell me I am interpreting that wrong. Because if I'm not, this will be my last post on this site.

jb
      JB, just bad wording I am afraid. Maybe I can clean that up somewhat. That reference is trying to say that just because someone posts their copyrighted material on the forum, it does not become "public" for general use, it is protected in itself by this website. Maybe changing that word to "protected" would help. RTB does not want ownership of your photos.

However, IF that copyrighted image (that you own) is cropped/screenshot with text , usernames, personal information, and other links from this forum, then RTB copyrighted information would be potentially used against the TOS in that situation, even though YOUR image is in the content.

Now East Texas lingo...

I only own my stuff.. you own your stuff. But just because it is on the public internet does not make it everyone's stuff. I am trying to protect that. No one has the right to grab screenshots of my stuff (the forum) and your stuff (comments and pictures) and use them publicly.

I will clean up the language to say just that.
      Last edited by ClayEnglish; 10-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.
      To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
      -Clay English
      Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Snake Guru
      is Sasquatch in training?!?

I am:
      Geeky

Blog Entries
      Images
      Last Visited
      05-29-2017 05:47 PM

That is really good stuff!

Snake Guru
      is A O K

I am:
      Amused

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      05-24-2017 03:54 PM

Read it thank you.

is The House of " L"

I am:
      Cool

Blog Entries
      Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by ClayEnglish View Post
      JB, just bad wording I am afraid. Maybe I can clean that up somewhat. That reference is trying to say that just because someone posts their copyrighted material on the forum, it does not become "public" for general use, it is protected in itself by this website. Maybe changing that word to "protected" would help. RTB does not want ownership of your photos.

However, IF that copyrighted image (that you own) is cropped/screenshot with text , usernames, personal information, and other links from this forum, then RTB copyrighted information would be potentially used against the TOS in that situation, even though YOUR image is in the content.

Now East Texas lingo...

I only own my stuff.. you own your stuff. But just because it is on the public internet does not make it everyone's stuff. I am trying to protect that. No one has the right to grab screenshots of my stuff (the forum) and your stuff (comments and pictures) and use them publicly.

I will clean up the language to say just that.

@ClayEnglish ,

You Da Man Clay ! . . . . . . . You Da Man !

Clay,
      You better start posting . . . . looks like I'm catching up to you on total posts !

Snake Keeper
      is looking forward to iccle boa
      babies!

I am:
      Tired

ReputationReputation

Images
      Last Visited
      04-04-2013 04:34 AM

hi it’s good that its re-posted but I know that I am UK based and this is primarily an American site but I just wanted to ask a few questions on what has already been posted, so don’t all jump down my throat about it please

The ownership thing I read it to be that this forum doesn't want any screenshots containing info from this forum being posted on other forums? Although it might be the actual person’s pictures it can’t contain any other info? So I don’t know the big panic really.

so why not......do this rather than just say it in rules?

- I know that you can prevent anyone from copying any stuff from a website, even text and it does work as my friend has it on her own website, and fair enough it doesn't prevent windows 7 snippet tool from taking a snippet of the screen or photo but it does help to have the ban on the site from anyone copying anything, and if they did do it the normal old way of the highlight and copy or downloading of pics then a notice comes up on screen, telling them of copyright laws for the site saying they need written permission blah, blah etc. Can that not be put on here?? It will at least help in restricting people from copying stuff on here.

And if you don’t want to do that, but I can’t understand why you can’t or don’t want too then……

As for moderation I read that every post can’t be looked at, I used to moderate on a forum or two over here and we had loads of mods checking threads and new posts, fair enough this forum is big going by the 400 odd new posts per day but rules are rules and if members are not following them then that needs addressed, fair enough moderation took over my life lol and being independent from members helped as I was non bias to each member and was neutral and purely ensured members knew and followed the rules, so why not get more moderators as when I come on here I see regular members on all the time that could easily be moderators even for sections to make it easier to help the forum out?

I love this forum and its helped me out greatly as its fab for advice, nice friendly people and no real arguments are formed on here as far as I can see, but honestly it just needs a wee bit more moderation as I sometimes see single threads go unanswered or have very little replies on them, the way I see it is that if members take the time to post up a valid thread, they should be encouraged to become more active in the forum and having a moderator or someone actively do that is not that hard, it’s just a bit of time to respond to their thread and show that person that someone on here does care. (Or is that just my opinion?) Especially if it’s new members,

Ok that’s me all done lol!!
      Linda J
      natieb likes this.