• Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Like Tree4Likes
    • 1 Post By Noelle7206
    • 2 Post By Noelle7206
    • 1 Post By Noelle7206

Thread: Cold snap in Florida (& other southern states) affecting wild reptiles

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      07-12-2018 03:47 PM

Default Cold snap in Florida (& other southern states) affecting wild reptiles

I was just reminded by an article in the Washington Post that as a result of the recent snap of unusually-cold weather, Florida residents are once again finding green iguanas that have fallen out of trees, either dead or in a state of torpor. It's not only the non-native iguanas whose lives are in peril, but native reptiles & amphibians of all types. I know we have members & readers living in Florida & other southern states affected, so I'm just wondering what you're seeing? Obviously many consider this to be good news: those who hate or fear reptiles aside, many experts see this as a good thing, since iguanas & non-native pythons are very challenging to hunt & remove, but now many will be killed off. As reptile lovers, it's hard not to intervene on their behalf (if not already too late). This time of year, hopefully most of the native species will be laying low & be less affected.
      Richyboa72 likes this.

Snake Lover
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      08-09-2018 02:30 AM

Default Re: Cold snap in Florida (& other southern states) affecting wild reptiles

Thatís really not good, hopefully it will ease soon and not done too much damage to native flora and fauna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited

Default Re: Cold snap in Florida (& other southern states) affecting wild reptiles

Richyboa72, I'm not sure how much you've heard about non-native herps on the loose in Florida: it's become a problem in recent years, since [especially] green iguanas
      and large boids have taken up residence after being released, either accidentally* or intentionally when irresponsible owners no longer wish to keep the difficult pets they
      "just had to have". *Some of the pythons in the wilds of Florida have been genetically traced back to a breeding facility that many years ago was torn apart by a hurricane,
      and they've reproduced, along with an influx of dumped exotics.

As a lover of animals & especially all reptiles, I find it very sad, but in support of native herps & other wildlife, I agree that invasive species should be caught & humanely
      euthanized if no seriously-responsible homes can take them in. Freezing temperatures aren't common in Florida, but when they happen as they did again this year, they
      can be lethal even to the native species, which is sad...

If I lived in Florida, I don't think I could ignore an invasive species suffering from the cold & just let it die, but consider the report of one man who thought he was doing a
      good thing by picking up all the semi-frozen green iguanas he could find while driving around, piling them in his vehicle. He nearly had an accident when they started to
      revive and he was still on the road. As they say, "no good deed goes unpunished"? It's hard to say what I'd do if I lived there...
      acephantom903 and Richyboa72 like this.

Snake Lover
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      08-09-2018 02:30 AM

I didnít know about that at all,I agree it is a shame about the animals being killed In the cold,but I agree the damage it can cause to the whole eco system due to non natives been released by unreasonable keepers must be just devastating especially due to the all year climate
      I saw in August in a local paper that someone had dumped a 7ft boa in a local beauty spot ,but luckily our winters are too cold for them to survive here
      I know Australia are really strict on snake keepers all have to have licenses and non native imports are a big no no wich I agree with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Finding Burmese pythons+ roaming the Everglades where they don't belong has created a fair amount of concern, & since many people already don't like snakes, this feeds

into their hysteria & results in restrictions/laws passed for those keeping snakes, and especially those who would sell them or cross state lines with them. While we (the

herp community) realize that they cannot survive further north, that situation is now muddied with climate change, & in any event, they don't belong in the wilds of Florida.

Florida has some wonderful herps, & I've kept many kinds of (captive bred) rat snakes (+) from there, including the 4 large yellow/gulf hammocks that I have now...I care

very much about preserving the native habitat for those animals that evolved to co-exist. While no one likes more "regulations", unfortunately 'human nature' (ie. the in-

evitable percentage of irresponsible keepers) makes them necessary. It's sad misery for exotics that are dumped & no place is immune to bad owners. When it comes to

owning things like big snakes & iguanas, maybe there should be a "waiting period" and a test of knowledge before they can be sold? Pets of any kind deserve better than

to be "impulse buys", but especially the kind that frequently prove to be problematic for the average owner. (Why does everyone think "average owner" is someone else?)
      Richyboa72 likes this.