Newbie!
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      10-11-2017 04:08 PM

Default Here it is!! lol new member looking for some good info

&lt;div&gt;hello all. Names Dave. I've been keeping reptiles since the early 90's. I've bred box turtles (back before you could buy incubators and had to build your own), corns snakes, ball pythons, Halmahera geckos,&amp;nbsp; and leopard geckos. I've had a couple wild caught reptiles lay eggs after I bought them including a tiny little Madagascar chameleon. (brooksii? I&amp;nbsp;don't remember it was before the internet and info was non existent on the little things. I think I got lucky and found one article in reptile magazine about the species group. she laid two eggs in the middle of the night and was dead in the morning. held onto the eggs for a year. they never went bad. finally cut them open and there was no sign of development but were still good somehow? sorry I'm rambling but it was a very interesting experience) I have kept almost every kind of reptile out there as long as they could be bought for less than $300. in the 90's I used to keep huge community tanks that I would have almost computerized with timers, thermostats, water heaters and air bubblers&amp;nbsp;and learned the hard way, box turtles will eat snakes, frogs will eat lizards, mice will eat reptiles, and the low man on the totem pole is always stressed even if he doesn't seem like it. I now advocate one animal per tank. though some mixed species enclosures work well, like box turtle colonies on the floor of a green iguana enclosure I'm too old for all the work involved to make it work safely.&lt;br&gt;My current group is 1 female BCI hypo boa, 1 female dumerils boa, 1 female reticulated python, 1 ball python, 1 red tegu and 1 Cuban rock iguana. I am considering adding a Surinam boa and an argentine boa but kinda like being down to only 4 snakes as I just sold off a 26 strong&amp;nbsp;breeding group of ball pythons.&lt;br&gt;Snakes over 6' have always been illegal in my area and for years I would always preach ban them by species not size. made me so mad you could buy a baby Burmese legally at the petstore down the block just to have it become illegal within a year. the law itself encouraged animal mistreatment and abandonment. then within the last couple of years all of a sudden there is no size restriction. so here I am. I'm rambling again.&lt;br&gt;anyway I'm more interested in scientific type info. I wanna see charts and data. actual real info. nothing makes me madder then the 16 yr old "experts" who are forcefully spitting "knowledge" at you that they didn't earn themselves and someone else just forcefully spit at them. just repeating what someone else repeated as the gospel. that probably comes off as more rude than I meant it and I will stop there. I look forward to getting to know some of you.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/div&gt;

RTB Staff / Global Moderator
      is Morti's wife

I am:
      Crazy

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      10-18-2017 09:07 AM

Default Re: Here it is!! lol new member looking for some good info

Hello and Welcome!

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      10-19-2017 01:33 PM

Welcome Dave. Sorry you (and especially your animals) learned the hard way about group caging...we'd have told you that here. We also advocate feeding only dead
      prey...either fresh-killed (if you are up to it, not everyone is) or frozen-properly thawed, otherwise sooner or later you'll be sorry when dealing with expensive or fatal
      injuries. Snakes (& other reptiles) are easier to keep healthy than to make them well with current medical skills, even IF you're close enough to an exotic-pet vet.

A year is a long time for a dud egg to not go bad & stink. Your little chameleon might have been egg-bound, that can be fatal...but it might have been other issues too.
      I've not tried to keep chameleons but have heard they are challenging at best. Wild-caughts are best avoided, not only for ethical reasons but also because they are
      heavily stressed AND often carry a heavy parasite load, either of which can kill them, and both acting together often does. (& not just referring to chameleons btw)

I've kept some kinds of lizards over the years (bearded dragon, various geckos, some desert native species, etc) but for most of my 30+ years keeping herps I've been
      thoroughly involved with many (!) kinds of snakes. I've only had one large boid, a BCI that I took in as an unwanted "rescue" (she was an avid biter @ one year in age)
      & which I calmed into a reliable non-biting pet for some 12 years, before I re-homed her with some local friends who are into larger snakes. (by then she was 7 1/2')

In addition, I've bred various kinds of snakes in the past...I no longer do that. (too much temptation to keep too many...for many years I kept 85-90 snakes routinely,
      not counting offspring produced and not counting those rescues I took in) Right now, I am happily keeping 16 snakes, mostly rat snakes but including a couple small
      boids (rosy boa, one that I bred, and an Aussie spotted python) & a colorful Texas longnose (which generally don't make good pets as they are lizard-feeders in nature).
      I've had snakes live to mid-20's. That's a little about me... (I'm not a "16 year old expert", lol...I also avoid answering questions that are outside my areas of expertise,
      like breeding the large boas or guessing as to what their genetics are from a posted picture...that's not my area.)

Anyway, let's talk... And I agree that it makes no sense when they allow snakes to be sold that will likely out-grow their legal size, that's very sad. So in your area,
      the restrictions were actually removed?

Newbie!
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

Last Visited
      10-11-2017 04:08 PM

yes in Illinois nothing "dangerous" was allowed. No constrictors over 6 ft (rats and pines weren't included in this so they were my passion for awhile), no crocodilians, no venomous, etc. now the DNR guy who is in charge of reptiles is a reptile breeder and hobbyist himself and has gotten all kinds of law changes. instead of a restriction on snake size there are guidelines on how you must care for large snakes. (and you are subject to inspections) crocodilians and venomous may be owned but you must do so many "educational" presentations with them per year, etc. the laws are so much more realistic now.
      Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      10-19-2017 01:33 PM

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
      yes in Illinois nothing "dangerous" was allowed. No constrictors over 6 ft (rats and pines weren't included in this so they were my passion for awhile), no crocodilians, no venomous, etc. now the DNR guy who is in charge of reptiles is a reptile breeder and hobbyist himself and has gotten all kinds of law changes. instead of a restriction on snake size there are guidelines on how you must care for large snakes. (and you are subject to inspections) crocodilians and venomous may be owned but you must do so many "educational" presentations with them per year, etc. the laws are so much more realistic now.
      That's how it SHOULD be everywhere. I did venomous for some 20 years, & while the natives weren't regulated (where I lived at the time) other than you couldn't

have more than 2 of each kind, I also had some non-local hots for which I had special (very hard to obtain) permits, & they did inspections to make sure they were

properly caged & cared for, etc. Far too many people are irresponsible with either hots or large snakes, it's bad for the snakes & bad for those of us who take the

proper care...when things go wrong & end up in the news (as they invariably do), it makes the general public want to crack down on all keepers out of fear. I was

not "required" to do educational programs att, but that WAS what I was about anyway*...I think that's a great idea, so that having such animals is about more than

just someone's ego & to show off with. *I'm sure that was a factor when I was awarded the permit, as I was already doing programs with my various harmless snakes,

and explained all the many reasons to allow & respect them as our "neighbors" but NOT try to keep hots themselves. I'm SO glad to see things change for the better

in this...I hope other states see that it works and follow suit.
      Richyboa72 likes this.