• Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Just a few pix and details of my growing addiction ( sorry collection ).

Snake Lover
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      07-19-2017 03:38 PM

Default Re: Just a few pix and details of my growing addiction ( sorry collection ).

I had a chat with the breeder as regards the TransPeco and he said as it looks real healthy and is still active then not too worry .

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      07-19-2017 08:56 PM

Default Re: Just a few pix and details of my growing addiction ( sorry collection ).

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
      I had a chat with the breeder as regards the TransPeco and he said as it looks real healthy and is still active then not too worry .
      I hope he's right & that works. Some living creatures (whether animal or human) just get off to a slow start & take a while to get up to speed.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle7206 View Post
      I hope he's right & that works. Some living creatures (whether animal or human) just get off to a slow start & take a while to get up to speed.
      Yeah , the only concern is that he started slow , then was great for a few months then he's just suddenly gone off his food .... He's less than a year old so it surely isn't "woman' related ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited

Yeah , the only concern is that he started slow , then was great for a few months then he's just suddenly gone off his food .... He's less than a year old so it surely isn't "woman' related ?

You mean (I assume) related to breeding? No...not a chance. It does suggest to me that something isn't right with his health, I'm sorry to say. But I have no
      crystal ball...all you can do is be very observant and keep trying. Might take a stool sample to the vet too. Snakes are quite stoic...because he is young, he may
      have hatched out with some internal abnormality, or maybe he was handled roughly or dropped or somehow sustained some sort of internal injury. Because the
      breeder had trouble with him too, before you got him, I'd have to say that you took a risk in buying him anyway. Just remember that the inbreeding that some do
      to get the fancy 'silver' or 'blond' phases may also increase the risk of negative defects being inherited...but I still hope he outgrows whatever the trouble is. They
      are really neat snakes...

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

You mean (I assume) related to breeding? No...not a chance. It does suggest to me that something isn't right with his health, I'm sorry to say. But I have no
      crystal ball...all you can do is be very observant and keep trying. Might take a stool sample to the vet too. Snakes are quite stoic...because he is young, he may
      have hatched out with some internal abnormality, or maybe he was handled roughly or dropped or somehow sustained some sort of internal injury. Because the
      breeder had trouble with him too, before you got him, I'd have to say that you took a risk in buying him anyway. Just remember that the inbreeding that some do
      to get the fancy 'silver' or 'blond' phases may also increase the risk of negative defects being inherited...but I still hope he outgrows whatever the trouble is. They
      are really neat snakes...
      I'm hopeful , he's just as active in the evenings as usual , he looks really well to be honest . He's grown a few inches whilst I've had him as well . I read somewhere that TransPecos are kinda fussy / funny eaters so maybe it's to be expected ..

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

I'm hopeful , he's just as active in the evenings as usual , he looks really well to be honest . He's grown a few inches whilst I've had him as well . I read somewhere that TransPecos are kinda fussy / funny eaters so maybe it's to be expected ....Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I'm hopeful too. I've owned some & also raised several clutches, without any "fussy" ones. Mine are all normals (and only 2 are hets for silver & blonde) In my
      experience (& reading), the "fussy ones" are either (1) wild-caughts or (2) c/b blond or silver versions.* But stay "patient" & hope he out-grows this.

*They are also very docile snakes by nature, so the other thing that some people (not you) do wrong is to over-handle them, or handle them roughly, before they
      acquire some confidence & feel safe in their surroundings.

Here's an afterthought though: how much A/C is running in your house? These are often hatched out in late fall and may end up over-wintering without eating.
      Is it possible he is feeling a chill in the air & going off feed, incorrectly assuming that winter is coming???

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

I'm hopeful too. I've owned some & also raised several clutches, without any "fussy" ones. Mine are all normals (and only 2 are hets for silver & blonde) In my
      experience (& reading), the "fussy ones" are either (1) wild-caughts or (2) c/b blond or silver versions.* But stay "patient" & hope he out-grows this.

*They are also very docile snakes by nature, so the other thing that some people (not you) do wrong is to over-handle them, or handle them roughly, before they
      acquire some confidence & feel safe in their surroundings.

Here's an afterthought though: how much A/C is running in your house? These are often hatched out in late fall and may end up over-wintering without eating.
      Is it possible he is feeling a chill in the air & going off feed, incorrectly assuming that winter is coming???
      House has been on the warm side if anything of late tbh . No air con - we are in the UK after all

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

House has been on the warm side if anything of late tbh . No air con - we are in the UK after all ...
      OK, it was just a thought...it's something that many people don't consider, the degree to which summer A/C usage may affect their snakes. I use A/C but still keep
      my house much warmer (80-81*) than most people do.

Trans Pecos are desert snakes...they lay low during daytime heat & hunt at night; the desert night-time temperatures can drop dramatically...and winter in the
      southwest deserts can see some snow, so these snakes do hibernate.

In that case, what are the temps in the cage? (highest, lowest, ambient-ie. average air temp) Are you using some UTH in one area for digestion? how hot does it get?

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Hi ... Temps range from 74F up to 86F warm side .... Two hides - one either side of viv ...

UTH regulated by a stat etc ....
      Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Hi ... Temps range from 74F up to 86F warm side .... Two hides - one either side of viv ...

UTH regulated by a stat etc ....
      That sounds fine to me... so hang in there & hope that he comes around.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

That sounds fine to me... so hang in there & hope that he comes around.
      The breeder asked if we'd had any kind of change in the local temps and I explained that it had been unusually warm here for the last three weeks ( with the odd really cold day ) - maybe something as daft as that apparently .