Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree31Likes

Thread: The Mouse Factory - closing

Snake Maniac
      is lovin' his Guyanese BCC

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      10-06-2013 03:11 AM

Default The Mouse Factory - closing

I've been using The Mouse Factory (aka TMF) for about 7 or 8 years now and have NEVER been disappointed with their product or service. I've always felt that they were the VERY BEST in the business. So sad to see them closing down.

Looks like I'll be looking for a new supplier. My three prospects right now are:
      Layne Labs
      Big Cheese
      Bushhill Rodents

jb

ColdBlooded!
      is Tryin to spnd more money than
      I have

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      10-30-2014 08:44 PM

Default Re: The Mouse Factory - closing

I saw Bushhills Operation at Arlington. I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with the packaging and the looks of the rodents. Very clean and well run operation IMO.

I recently switched over to ARS and was pleasantly suprised on the quality of their feeders too.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited

I looked at ARS years ago and I THINK (don't quote me) that I remember them telling me that they're 100% supplied by a laboratory and they simply package and sell the feeders. I could be wrong though - it's been SEVERAL years since that phone call.

IMO, if that's the case, it's neither inherently good nor bad, just simply a factor. On one hand, you could argue that the rodents should be highly consistent from one batch to the next due to lab protocols. On the other hand, you could argue that you can't speak with the actual operation raising your feeders to ask questions (one of which if coming from a lab would be "are these surplus rodents from batches that were raised for testing diabetes drugs, heart conditions, or anything else that might increase the fat content" - which is possibly the problem Rodent Pro rats have when it comes to boas).

jb

ColdBlooded!
      is Tryin to spnd more money than
      I have

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      10-30-2014 08:44 PM

I did not know that. I just got Bushhills price list and maybe ordering from them the next time around. Thanks for the heads up.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputation
      Last Visited

Like I said, don't quote me on it. Definitely call them to find out for yourself. I'm operating off of a sometimes faulty memory here! lol

jb

i judge your grammar
      is a genetics snob!

I am:
      Tired

ReputationReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      09-26-2014 09:43 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
      I looked at ARS years ago and I THINK (don't quote me) that I remember them telling me that they're 100% supplied by a laboratory
      they are. i just spoke with them about a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
      On the other hand, you could argue that you can't speak with the actual operation raising your feeders to ask questions
      they'll tell you which lab supplies them. i forget the name, but i checked out their website and it was pretty informative. i really have no qualms with feeding lab supply surplus due to the OBSESSIVELY stringent guidelines on health/sanitation for the rats. basically, if their rats have ANY foreign bacteria/fungus/viruses/etc or are at all unhealthy, the experiments that their customers (labs) do with them would be skewed and inaccurate. because of that they are THE cleanest rats (inside AND out) you can possibly get - at least up to the point they leave the lab. after that it's anybody's guess

Snake Lover
      is clear, simple, and plain

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      05-02-2013 03:01 AM

i recommend bushhill rodents

Snake Maniac

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputation
      Last Visited

I thought I remembered that correctly. Thanks for clarifying Chris!

Again, my ONLY hesitation with buying lab surplus would be, are the rodents being bred with genes like the "Zucker" gene which would make them naturally fatty and/or are they fed so that they get really fat. The reason a lab would do this is to sell these rodents which would become obese, diabetic, develop cardiovascular disease, etc., to pharma companies so that they can research cardiovascular and metabolic drugs prior to human trials.

For those reading, don't interpret this incorrectly and think that the rodents have been treated with various pharmaceutical agents prior to you purchasing. They have NOT been tested upon - they would be rodents that are leftover because pharma companies didn't buy them. They would just have the possibility of being ULTRA fatty and as Mike Weitzman has detailed at length (Fat Rats?) fat rats are NO GOOD for boas. So, IMO, you're taking a BIG risk with lab surplus if it's being raised to be tested for cardiovascular and metabolic diseases.

jb

BBK-The Boa Warehouse
      is The House of " L"

I am:
      Cool

Blog Entries
      Last Visited
      10-31-2014 04:21 AM

I thought "TMF" did a good amount of business around the country?

Any idea why they are folding up ?

ARS uses Labs Taconic and or Harlan I believe that's who Brian was using when I was purchasing from him.

I would try to stick to all white rats, that's usually a better percentage of not seeing genetically enhanced higher fat content rats.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputation
      Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Boa Amarali View Post
      Any idea why they are folding up ?
      I got a call back on the 2nd from a friend of mine who called them to order some rodents and he said Edna was REALLY upset. She said something to the effect of the manager (I believe it was the manager) decided to leave and his departure left them in a spot where they couldn't run the business. So, they decided to close up shop.

jb

Snake Maniac
      is alive

I am:
      Amused

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Images
      Last Visited
      01-09-2014 03:21 PM

Saw this thread and had to jump in on the LAB portion of it. A few years back I worked at TACONIC, one of the labs that provides surplus to these companies. I wil say this, these rats/mice live in precisely controlled environments under conditions that are ridiculously sanitary. I used to have to change into scrubs, gloves, a mask and slippers before entering the animal controlled section of the company. Then walk to my "bio-bubble", which is a tranparent soft plastic tent that is about 12ft x 30ft. Each "bio-bubble" is positive pressure which means individually controlled filtered forced air is pumped into them through thousands of holes in the ceiling forcing continuos new air in and old air out via the bottom of the bubble. I would then have to strip down to shorts and t shirt, enter the first little portion of the bubble, don new scrubs gloves, shoes and mask, tape sleeves and legs and then enter the bubble. Huge stainless steel containers were delivered to each bubble that had been heated to a ridiculous temperature. These were full of supplies, cages, food, bedding, paperwork, etc. These were then attaches to the bubble via a port and then sprayed with sanitizer and then were allowed to be opened. Quite the operation huh?

So as far as the conditions of the animals, excellent. My bubble was in charge of producing projects for AMGEN. All kinds of selective breeding, some lines of rodents were huge, for big projects and some small. Essentialy the customer states what they want in the end, sends you a couple of mice and you breed to the end result. Just like boas, you get hets, homozygous and the wild types, so whatever is not needed gets sent out daily and is euthanized in a giant gas chamber, litterally thousands daily, then they sell those to Zoos, breeders, etc.

Perfectly clean animals? Yes. Would I use them, no. Reason being as stated above, there are so many genetic traits bred into these animals and you never know what you are gonna get. We had white mice that luminessed certain areas under certain lighting, mice with alzheimers that forgot everything, hyper active mice, hairless with no imune system, etc. oh, and microchipped animals. These animals are euthanized by the thousands and different strains all together, so I think its pretty difficult for them to say exactly what you are getting other than a rodent.

Just thought I would give a little firsthand experience for those that cared to read. Ultimately its your decision, and im certain that some of these genetically engineered rodents will do no harm to your snake, but, I think it is pretty hard to be certain what you are getting and the long term effects may not be known.

i judge your grammar
      is a genetics snob!

I am:
      Tired

ReputationReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      09-26-2014 09:43 PM

Quote Originally Posted by AaronZav View Post
      Saw this thread and had to jump in on the LAB portion of it. A few years back I worked at TACONIC, one of the labs that provides surplus to these companies...
      THANK YOU for the first-hand knowledge, aaron! very good info to know!
      AaronZav likes this.

Snake Maniac

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputation
      Last Visited

THANK YOU @AaronZav That is possibly the best, most informative "feeder-post" I've ever read!!!!! And it confirms all of my suspicions about "lab surplus".

jb

Snake Guru
      is Erin is a girl's name.

I am:
      Innocent

Images
      Last Visited
      09-17-2014 04:12 PM

Wow! Now that's what i call "inside information"! Love it! Thanks @AaronZav

Saw this thread and had to jump in on the LAB portion of it. A few years back I worked at TACONIC, one of the labs that provides surplus to these companies. I wil say this, these rats/mice live in precisely controlled environments under conditions that are ridiculously sanitary. I used to have to change into scrubs, gloves, a mask and slippers before entering the animal controlled section of the company. Then walk to my "bio-bubble", which is a tranparent soft plastic tent that is about 12ft x 30ft. Each "bio-bubble" is positive pressure which means individually controlled filtered forced air is pumped into them through thousands of holes in the ceiling forcing continuos new air in and old air out via the bottom of the bubble. I would then have to strip down to shorts and t shirt, enter the first little portion of the bubble, don new scrubs gloves, shoes and mask, tape sleeves and legs and then enter the bubble. Huge stainless steel containers were delivered to each bubble that had been heated to a ridiculous temperature. These were full of supplies, cages, food, bedding, paperwork, etc. These were then attaches to the bubble via a port and then sprayed with sanitizer and then were allowed to be opened. Quite the operation huh?

So as far as the conditions of the animals, excellent. My bubble was in charge of producing projects for AMGEN. All kinds of selective breeding, some lines of rodents were huge, for big projects and some small. Essentialy the customer states what they want in the end, sends you a couple of mice and you breed to the end result. Just like boas, you get hets, homozygous and the wild types, so whatever is not needed gets sent out daily and is euthanized in a giant gas chamber, litterally thousands daily, then they sell those to Zoos, breeders, etc.

Perfectly clean animals? Yes. Would I use them, no. Reason being as stated above, there are so many genetic traits bred into these animals and you never know what you are gonna get. We had white mice that luminessed certain areas under certain lighting, mice with alzheimers that forgot everything, hyper active mice, hairless with no imune system, etc. oh, and microchipped animals. These animals are euthanized by the thousands and different strains all together, so I think its pretty difficult for them to say exactly what you are getting other than a rodent.

Just thought I would give a little firsthand experience for those that cared to read. Ultimately its your decision, and im certain that some of these genetically engineered rodents will do no harm to your snake, but, I think it is pretty hard to be certain what you are getting and the long term effects may not be known.
      AaronZav likes this.

BBK-The Boa Warehouse
      is The House of " L"

I am:
      Cool

Blog Entries
      Last Visited
      10-31-2014 04:21 AM

Thankyou for your post Aaron. Your first hand knowledge helps tie together bits of information I've gathered and read
      which lead me to believe much of what you just confirmed to be fact.

I'm so glad I have a great private source for rats at this point so I don't have to roll the dice anymore.

What's crazy if you use these rats from the Lab sources and do get something odd/funky which leads to illness and/or death in your Boa.

There is nobody or no way to directly tie it back to the Lab rats and what ever genetically manipulated condition they might have
      ( Hypertensive disorder , Diabetes research etc . . .)

So no one can be held directly responsible for any illness or death that might be a result from the rats.

Only person to hold responsible is ourselves for using these Rats I guess.

Thx Aaron !
      AaronZav likes this.

Keeper of Pandora's Box
      is About ready for hockey season!

I am:
      Awesome

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      10-31-2014 05:43 PM

I really liked TMF. The only reason I stopped using them is shipping costs to CA were way too high. I never had a bad experience. Sad to see any family run American business close.
      -Sean in NoCal
      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
      -Teddy Roosevelt.

ColdBlooded!
      is happy it is the weekend.

I am:
      Awesome

ReputationReputation
      ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Last Visited
      10-30-2014 07:31 PM

Another place that is really good is Loxahatchee Rodents. Loxahatchee Rodents - Quality Frozen Feeder Rodents - The Best Mice and Rats for Reptile Food in Florida Bill and Jim are friendly, great to talk to, and very helpful. They have A+ service. I use to order from American Rodent Supply but I had a bad experience last spring. Most don't have this experience with them but they have lost my business forever because of it. As a result, I looked for another rodent supplier and Loxahatchee Rodents reminds me more of TMF. American Rodent was cheaper than TMF but the rats were dirtier and the packaging not always the greatest (getting bags of rats with slashes in the bags from a razor). Loxahatchee was actually cheaper than ARS shipped and packaged much nicer and the rats were much cleaner.

I would highly recommend them.

Star
      Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

Snake Maniac
      is alive

I am:
      Amused

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Images
      Last Visited

Well, glad that some of you found the info I provided useful. I did not post it to sway anyones decision one way or another, as that is not my style. More as a here is some true info and you can make your own educated decision type of thing. This was actually a great place to work and helped me out with genetics a ton, being in charge of some prety important breeding projects. Glad I was only there for a bit over a year though. We were not allowed to have rodents or anything that consumed rodents while working there. That was the longest stretch that I had been without a snake in my life since like 1987. Like I said before, the conditions these rodents are kept in are amazing and the operation is fascinating, but for me, I would rather not feed these guys to my animals. I do think there is a place for them though, rescues/zoos and places that operate on a strict budget or donations and have to take what they can get. I just think for me and my private collection, I would rather play it "safe"!

Snake Maniac
      is alive

I am:
      Amused

Images
      Last Visited

Grrrrr, forgot to add another factor for me, the water that is given to the rodents is heavily chlorinated, you can definitely smell it in the water. I have my own opinions on the effects of chlorine long term on any living organism, but thats a whole other can o worms.

Snake Master
      is Good Stuff!!!

I am:
      Cool

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Images
      Last Visited
      10-30-2014 07:14 PM

One of the most informative posts I have read in a LONG TIME. Great post @AaronZav
      Thank you for this information
      AaronZav likes this.