Snake Keeper
      is nothing

I am:
      Amused

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      06-28-2017 12:18 PM

Default rat pups or mice?

Okay so my little albino is finally up to 158 gram.So has almost doubled her wieght in 5 mnths. She eats like a champ and shed a few times perfectly. She also has no more wobbles and controls her body like a normal boa.
      Personally I think it may have just been severe dehydration. But anyway Ive been feeding her 14/15 gram weaned mice weekly(I bought to many last time so have gobs of weaners) . I have had many opinions that rat pups are high fat compared to weaned mice.Then Ive heard rats make them grow faster and I should switch her right away. Anyway should I get her some rat pups or stick with the weaned mice, maybe bumping up to 25 gram adult mice(which I also have in the freezer)..Does it really matter? She does act hungry and is digesting pretty fast those weaned mice but adults may be a bit to big?
      THX

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      09-19-2017 05:45 PM

Default Re: rat pups or mice?

In general, the oldest rodent of the appropriate size for the snake is going to be the healthier (leaner) choice. It's hard to know without seeing your specific snake if she could benefit from the additional fat-calories,

that's a possibility. Boas aren't normally picky eaters either, but in my experience with a wide variety of snake species, it's often helpful to change up the type of food offered, ESPECIALLY when your ultimate goal

will be to feed your boa on rats at some point down the road. Personally, I'd not over-think this...it's not that critical [mouse vs. rat] if your snake is healthy, at the proper weight & growing normally. Remember

that the older the rodent is, whether mouse OR rat, it will offer less fat*, more minerals (due to larger & more developed bones), and more "roughage" (more hair, which is the snake-equivalent of bran flakes, lol)

which makes for a more "filling" meal. By the way, we're glad to hear she is doing well now & hope you'll keep us up-dated. As for whether adult mice would be too big right now, I cannot say without seeing her

compared to the mouse...you give weights which would be more useful IF I had a similar sized boa to compare with. You should be able to evaluate this for yourself though: the prey should be (at MOST) slightly

smaller around mid-body than your snake is at it's widest mid-body part. This applies for most snakes & certainly boids- the exceptions would be snakes that have a very narrow gape, such as the Texas longnose

snake (Rhinocheilus lecontei) that I keep, or something like a rosy boa (Lichanura trivirgata) etc. Since you already have a big supply of weaned mice, you might want to continue feeding them at a slightly shorter

interval for a while. (ie. if you are feeding her every 10-12 days & she is always hungry & digesting well, you might want to feed her every 9-10 days, for example) OR feed her 2 of them* simultaneously and then

allow a slightly LONGER interval between feedings. *Generally best to feed one item/meal, but trust me, it happens in the wild....it's just that in captivity, it's much harder to make sure our pets maintain a healthy

weight as they are FAR less active than their wild counterparts. Just remember that every meal need NOT be equal: you might occasionally give her 2 hoppers/meal, for example. This is all a general guideline.
      acephantom903 likes this.

Snake Lover
      is Chillin' with princess butter.

I am:
      Geeky

ReputationReputationReputation

Images
      Last Visited
      09-18-2017 06:33 PM

If your animal has outgrown hopper mice (8-11 grams), then the next logical step is either a rat pup or small adult mouse (12-17 grams). You said that you were feeding about 15 gram mice which would be a small adult. Then the next step is a full adult which weigh 18-32 grams. You usually don't want to feed more than 15% of the snake's body weight as it might cause an upset stomach. 50% will likely cause a regurgitation. 100% will likely end in death.

EDIT: To add onto what @noelle said, the older is better until they become very old like a breeder mouse or rat which are very fatty and worse for the snake then a pinkie. I wouldn't feed a jumbo mouse or rat to a boa and look at the next larger food source. Rats up from mice and bunnies up from rats.
      Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      09-19-2017 05:45 PM

Thanks acephantom903...I meant to add that about NOT feeding fat old breeder rodents of any kind. It's really not about the age, but that most of them have too much body fat. Skinny ones are technically
      fine, but in many cases, a thin appearance in an old rodent signals illness....so it's best to just avoid feeding old breeder rodents unless you've bred them & KNOW they're healthy.

(We're starting to finish each other's sentences, eh? ROFL)
      acephantom903 likes this.