I am:
      Innocent

ReputationReputationReputationReputation

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      10-12-2017 03:18 PM

Default Can the Internet Save Snakes?

Can the Internet Save Snakes? | Sierra Club

Very interesting article about how social media is changing public perceptions and attitudes about snakes. While the focus is on wild slithers the same methods can be used to change opinions about keeping them as pets.
      Noelle7206 and acephantom903 like this.

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      10-19-2017 01:33 PM

Default Re: Can the Internet Save Snakes?

Hey, thanks for sharing this!

My state has a site for identification & questions (www.herpsofarkansas.com) but unfortunately the answers can take too long. There IS a
      good reference section though, to search on your own, with photos & range maps etc. Like here, the actual forum part is slow....

Snake Maniac
      is keep on keepin on

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      10-17-2017 04:05 PM

That is awesome. I really hate seeing the media portray our beloved scaled family as a threat.

Best defense? KNOWLEDGE.

I once had my boa, Bella, out in a public park for a day out. She was the one I did educational shows with children with. She was always super chill, never struck outside of protecting her newborn litter.
      I had a woman call the police on me and start video recording me. Mind you, Bella was not a skiddish girl, she was slow moving and calculated.
      Police showed up and THEY asked ME what kind of snake it was. Once I let them know it was a boa, they asked to take a selfie with her and I said Absolutely!

The woman ironically enough was holding onto a leash that ended with a gigantic pit bull on the other end. I am an animal person, not just a reptile guy. I have a dog, cat, fish, African Grey parrot, used to have a tarantula, scorpions, iguana, and the list goes on.
      So, I spoke with the nice police officer who explained to her this:

- I can walk backwards faster than the snake can go - I can NOT outrun your dog
      - The snake weighs about 8-10lbs - Your dog weighs over 70lbs
      - This kid (me) was away from all people in the middle of a unused soccer field - Your dog is mingling with children
      - The snake could bite - But your dog can Attack
      - This kid (me again) has a legal right to be here with a legal animal just like you are

I felt so amazing about this experience because of this sole reason: The police officer was uninformed when he approached me and my fiance. He admitted to me he know nothing about snakes. He took the time to really listen, and when I say listen, I mean retain information - not just pass through his head. He was very stand offish at first but after talking with him - it ended with him holding her for a picture!!!!

It really comes down to just education and understanding.

Side note: I had her out another time at a different park and was approached by 2 older women in walkers. I thought for sure they were going to scream and call the police. Exactly the opposite. They came directly over and said "what a beautiful animal, she's so cute, I'm so happy you were here today, that really brightened both of our days".

That is what I live for, that really made my heart warm and felt amazing. Yes, they both also took pictures with her

I just had to share that because I hate social media. I got rid of my facebook, snapchat, Everything. It feels amazing and freeing. But this article is a great read and I hope it can do good for our hobby.
      Noelle7206 and acephantom903 like this.

Snake Guru
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      10-19-2017 01:33 PM

bcasilio, your post made me want to go chill in the park with one of my snakes. I loved hearing about your experiences, especially how you really opened that
      officer's eyes and flipped the conversation on whose pet actually posed the greater risks to others...way to go! I occasionally do educational outreach with my
      snakes but the world needs way more of us changing minds & hearts. And you never know about people...like you, I've had older folks who got just as big of a
      kick out of meeting my snakes as the kids do. One woman said she'd always loved snakes & got several pictures taken while happily holding one of mine.

(P.S. I don't like or use "social media" either!)

Snake Maniac
      is keep on keepin on

I am:
      Sneaky

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
      Images
      Last Visited
      10-17-2017 04:05 PM

Take 'em to the the park! I just find a nice spot away from all people so I can lay a blanket out and let her explore a little. You know, not let her get more than about 8 feet away from me. She really enjoyed it, explored around and just was super calm. I always just got worried that a field mouse or bunny would come strolling by but that never happened.

One thing I did prior to visiting was call the park and ask when the last time they laid fertilizer was, I wouldn't go if it was recently without rainfall in between.
      Noelle7206 likes this.