• Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Just a few pix and details of my growing addiction ( sorry collection ).

Snake Lover
      This user has not set their status.

I am:
      ----

User Info Achievements / Awards Thanks / Tagging Info vBActivity Stats
      Last Visited
      11-22-2017 02:09 PM

Default Re: Just a few pix and details of my growing addiction ( sorry collection ).

I had a chat with the breeder as regards the TransPeco and he said as it looks real healthy and is still active then not too worry .

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited
      11-22-2017 12:09 PM

Default Re: Just a few pix and details of my growing addiction ( sorry collection ).

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
      I had a chat with the breeder as regards the TransPeco and he said as it looks real healthy and is still active then not too worry .
      I hope he's right & that works. Some living creatures (whether animal or human) just get off to a slow start & take a while to get up to speed.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle7206 View Post
      I hope he's right & that works. Some living creatures (whether animal or human) just get off to a slow start & take a while to get up to speed.
      Yeah , the only concern is that he started slow , then was great for a few months then he's just suddenly gone off his food .... He's less than a year old so it surely isn't "woman' related ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation

Last Visited

Yeah , the only concern is that he started slow , then was great for a few months then he's just suddenly gone off his food .... He's less than a year old so it surely isn't "woman' related ?

You mean (I assume) related to breeding? No...not a chance. It does suggest to me that something isn't right with his health, I'm sorry to say. But I have no
      crystal ball...all you can do is be very observant and keep trying. Might take a stool sample to the vet too. Snakes are quite stoic...because he is young, he may
      have hatched out with some internal abnormality, or maybe he was handled roughly or dropped or somehow sustained some sort of internal injury. Because the
      breeder had trouble with him too, before you got him, I'd have to say that you took a risk in buying him anyway. Just remember that the inbreeding that some do
      to get the fancy 'silver' or 'blond' phases may also increase the risk of negative defects being inherited...but I still hope he outgrows whatever the trouble is. They
      are really neat snakes...

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

You mean (I assume) related to breeding? No...not a chance. It does suggest to me that something isn't right with his health, I'm sorry to say. But I have no
      crystal ball...all you can do is be very observant and keep trying. Might take a stool sample to the vet too. Snakes are quite stoic...because he is young, he may
      have hatched out with some internal abnormality, or maybe he was handled roughly or dropped or somehow sustained some sort of internal injury. Because the
      breeder had trouble with him too, before you got him, I'd have to say that you took a risk in buying him anyway. Just remember that the inbreeding that some do
      to get the fancy 'silver' or 'blond' phases may also increase the risk of negative defects being inherited...but I still hope he outgrows whatever the trouble is. They
      are really neat snakes...
      I'm hopeful , he's just as active in the evenings as usual , he looks really well to be honest . He's grown a few inches whilst I've had him as well . I read somewhere that TransPecos are kinda fussy / funny eaters so maybe it's to be expected ..

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

I'm hopeful , he's just as active in the evenings as usual , he looks really well to be honest . He's grown a few inches whilst I've had him as well . I read somewhere that TransPecos are kinda fussy / funny eaters so maybe it's to be expected ....Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I'm hopeful too. I've owned some & also raised several clutches, without any "fussy" ones. Mine are all normals (and only 2 are hets for silver & blonde) In my
      experience (& reading), the "fussy ones" are either (1) wild-caughts or (2) c/b blond or silver versions.* But stay "patient" & hope he out-grows this.

*They are also very docile snakes by nature, so the other thing that some people (not you) do wrong is to over-handle them, or handle them roughly, before they
      acquire some confidence & feel safe in their surroundings.

Here's an afterthought though: how much A/C is running in your house? These are often hatched out in late fall and may end up over-wintering without eating.
      Is it possible he is feeling a chill in the air & going off feed, incorrectly assuming that winter is coming???

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

I'm hopeful too. I've owned some & also raised several clutches, without any "fussy" ones. Mine are all normals (and only 2 are hets for silver & blonde) In my
      experience (& reading), the "fussy ones" are either (1) wild-caughts or (2) c/b blond or silver versions.* But stay "patient" & hope he out-grows this.

*They are also very docile snakes by nature, so the other thing that some people (not you) do wrong is to over-handle them, or handle them roughly, before they
      acquire some confidence & feel safe in their surroundings.

Here's an afterthought though: how much A/C is running in your house? These are often hatched out in late fall and may end up over-wintering without eating.
      Is it possible he is feeling a chill in the air & going off feed, incorrectly assuming that winter is coming???
      House has been on the warm side if anything of late tbh . No air con - we are in the UK after all

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

House has been on the warm side if anything of late tbh . No air con - we are in the UK after all ...
      OK, it was just a thought...it's something that many people don't consider, the degree to which summer A/C usage may affect their snakes. I use A/C but still keep
      my house much warmer (80-81*) than most people do.

Trans Pecos are desert snakes...they lay low during daytime heat & hunt at night; the desert night-time temperatures can drop dramatically...and winter in the
      southwest deserts can see some snow, so these snakes do hibernate.

In that case, what are the temps in the cage? (highest, lowest, ambient-ie. average air temp) Are you using some UTH in one area for digestion? how hot does it get?

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Hi ... Temps range from 74F up to 86F warm side .... Two hides - one either side of viv ...

UTH regulated by a stat etc ....
      Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Hi ... Temps range from 74F up to 86F warm side .... Two hides - one either side of viv ...

UTH regulated by a stat etc ....
      That sounds fine to me... so hang in there & hope that he comes around.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

That sounds fine to me... so hang in there & hope that he comes around.
      The breeder asked if we'd had any kind of change in the local temps and I explained that it had been unusually warm here for the last three weeks ( with the odd really cold day ) - maybe something as daft as that apparently .

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Default Just a few pix and details of my growing addiction ( sorry collection ).

Woohoo !!

He finally ate another pinkie after months of refusing !!

Still looks real healthy and he's nice and active in the evenings ..

He went nearly 5 months without eating !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

Woohoo !!

He finally ate another pinkie after months of refusing !!

Still looks real healthy and he's nice and active in the evenings ..

He went nearly 5 months without eating !! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Hey, I am so happy to hear the news, let's hope the fasting is all behind him now. (while I've never had a T.P. refuse pinkies, either mouse or rat,
      I think they also start off eating lizards in the wild...so maybe he's from that "camp"?)

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

T/P just refused again this week

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

T/P just refused again this week

So sorry to hear...I think there's something wrong, I'm so sorry to say. I've never seen a healthy T.P. refusing food the way yours is, and snakes are so stoic that
      even a visit to a good herp vet might not help. They are such cool snakes, I hope this doesn't sour you on them? -but I couldn't blame you if it did. Is this the only
      snake you've bought from this source? -what sort of references does he/she have? did you check on the B.O.I.? (board of inquiry on FaunaClassifieds Home Page)

By the way, you gave his cage temps. in a previous post...where does he spend his time? cool side? warm side?

I don't suppose he's done enough stool to have tested, has he? If he were my snake, to be honest, I'd try tube-feeding some liquified Gerber's chicken baby food with
      a dose of Flagyl & repeat it after a week or two. Flagyl (metronidazole) is pretty safe, is an antibiotic for bacterial infections & is also anti-protazoal; in snakes, it also
      tends to simply arouse some hunger, even in an apparently healthy snake. Some snake breeders that I used to know gave it routinely to newly-acquired snakes with
      good results (and on occasion, I've used it that way too). If in doubt, talk to your vet about this. If you need info on tube-feeding, I can help you...it's not that hard & sometimes when a snake has fed poorly, for whatever reason, just a gentle tube-feeding with some readily digested nutrients will make them feel good enough to
      respond to normal food after one or a couple feedings, depending how long it's been. It's very much like having an I.V. for a human hospital patient...without that
      nutrition, they'd not feel well enough to eat & just go into a "downward spiral". I'd hate to see you lose this snake...especially when you might be able to prevent it.
      Four or five months without eating or hibernating is way too long for a hatchling colubrid.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

I spoke with the breeder a month or so ago and he said not to worry - as you know he ate last week out of the blue ..

He's still nice and active in the evening and looks very healthy I must say ..

He moves from the warm hide to the cool hide as you'd expect .

I'll give him a few more weeks - maybe start offering every 4 days just in case that helps - then I'll contact the breeder again

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

The TransPeco shed tonight for the very first time ... maybe that's a positive thing after eating last week ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
      Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

The TransPeco shed tonight for the very first time ... maybe that's a positive thing after eating last week ..

I sure hope so...you wouldn't think one small meal would inspire a shed. I've heard of "air ferns"...maybe you have an "air snake"? Let's hope his shed was the
      reason he last refused food...my fingers are crossed.

Snake Lover

I am:
      ----

Last Visited

Default Just a few pix and details of my growing addiction ( sorry collection ).

Great minds think alike

I'm actually confident that he will eat again next time .

Only my Kings will eat during shed time and so considering his history I'd suggest that he'd be certain to miss a feed whilst in shed ..

He still looks real healthy and is always active still in the evenings ..

Noelle7206 likes this.

Snake Master
      is probably underwater!

I am:
      Friendly

Last Visited

I'm sure you'll keep us posted... His turn-around is long over-due.

My 3 Trans Pecos rat snakes aren't normally offered food when in shed, but most recently, it happened by accident: I didn't notice that the female was in shed mode
      until after she grabbed dinner from her hide box & ate. Two days later she did a perfect shed. We'll see if we can telepath some of this attitude to your little one...
      Zincubus likes this.