Broken Spurs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Spurs?

I work at a pet store on the weekends, on the side from being a vet assistant, and I noticed that our big female Ball Python has a spur, completely gone from the surface. I can feel where it would be coming out of and it is hard, as if the spur just broke off, but isnt completely gone. Now, I had a Albi Male Ball Python and he had a similar problem, but a little bit of his spur still showed, it was just broken off...and it always concerned me.
    I guess what I am asking is if this affects them in anyways, especially breeding? Just thought I would ask, because I have never read anything about broken spurs...Thought it would be an interesting topic.

This picture is just for fun

Thanks in advance for any and all comments

Re: Broken Spurs?

I'm Pretty sure spurs aren't really used for any function in BP. They are just evidence that there used to be hind legs. Maybe some male boas use them a little to hold during mating, but BP anyway don't that I have seen.

Comment

Re: Broken Spurs?

Actually the only thing Ive seen spurs being used for, is during mating the male will start to tickle or lightly scrape the females tail area(Boas and Balls). This will entice the female to let him do his thing...Ive never seeing them used for anything else....So the Fem. should be fine...and I guess your male will have to try twice as hard now with the rub-down

Comment

Working...
      X