Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast do Ball Pythons grow?

Hallo Everyone!

I bought a Ball Python in September and was curious on their growth rate. I've always gotten snakes as adults or occasionally sub-adults so this is my first experience raising a snake from a baby. We moved a couple months ago and my scale is still packed away so I'm not sure what she weighs, but she is just about 20inches. I don't know when exactly she hatched, I'm guessing July/August 09. She hasn't been the best feeder, she's always been okay eating frozen/thawed but she would only eat adult mice at first. I got her to eat a "small" rat last week but she just refused to eat one tonight : ( On average I would say she only eats every 7-8 days, if I try and feed her any sooner she won't eat. Is this normal? I'm used to my BRB who is a voracious little eater and typically eats every 5-6 days. But despite her lack of appetite she seems to be growing just fine, she's shed a couple times since I've had her.

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
    www.outworldreptiles.com

Re: How fast do Ball Pythons grow?

Every 7-8 is fine. My big female goes off feed for months at a time sometimes. Just make sure she isn't losing any weight and she should be fine. Ball pythons are notorious for not eating for long periods of time.

Comment

i agree with shogun my adult female goes of her food for months too but they do fine

Comment

They do go off feed,its very common. Poster is wrong above it's fine if they loose a little weight. I've had balls go a year with out eating. Pre weight at 2500gr and after they started eating again they were down to 1300gr. They'll eat when there ready, they also will grow when off feed. They still shed which means there growing right,right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ball-istic View Post
          They do go off feed,its very common. Poster is wrong above it's fine if they loose a little weight. I've had balls go a year with out eating. Pre weight at 2500gr and after they started eating again they were down to 1300gr. They'll eat when there ready, they also will grow when off feed. They still shed which means there growing right,right.
          Wrong. Its fine for an adult to lose a little weight, but if a baby starts losing weight you have a problem. There might be other reasons why they shed besides growing. Injury, pre-ovulation..pre-lay.

Comment

Originally posted by shogun678
            Wrong. Its fine for an adult to lose a little weight, but if a baby starts losing weight you have a problem. There might be other reasons why they shed besides growing. Injury, pre-ovulation..pre-lay.
            What ever u say buddy. I've had hatchling balls and new born boas not eat for a month after birth or hatching and be fine. They come around most of the time with no problems. If your husbandry is A+++ and there's no illness and they shed u gonna freak out or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ball-istic View Post
              What ever u say buddy. I've had hatchling balls and new born boas not eat for a month after birth or hatching and be fine. They come around most of the time with no problems. If your husbandry is A+++ and there's no illness and they shed u gonna freak out or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              And Im sure they lost a whole lot of weight in a month?? My point being as long as they don't lose weight they WILL be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by shogun678 View Post
                And Im sure they lost a whole lot of weight in a month?? My point being as long as they don't lose weight they WILL be fine.
                It's fine if they loose a little weight. Like I said I've had balls go from 2500gr to 1200gr start eating and put that weight right back on again nooo problem. Even baby boas that are little worms that had trouble eating 5 years later are big robust animals.

Comment

Working...
                X