BP going off feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] BP going off feed

i understand that a lot of ball pythons go off feed at this time of year. i bought two ball pythons in september, one male and one female. they are both just over a year old and have both eaten multiple f/t rats for me. the female just stopped eating two weeks ago. i thought that going off feed had to do with mating, and that only a female that is sexually mature would go off feed. my male is still eating. the two of them are in plastic tubs with undertank heating. the ambient temp is 80 with a hot spot of 90 and humidity is 60%. thanks!

Re: BP going off feed

I don't think she is going off feed due to mating season, she is still pretty young. Snakes go off feed for various reasons, I wouldn't put too much into it, she will probably eat next feeding.
    http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. Ball Pythons tend to not eat often and do better on spaced out feeding schedules. I used to have a lot more BP's but over the years I traded most of them and now I only have one female left. I usually feed her every three to four weeks and she almost never refuses a meal and never has issues keeping any weight on. I had a few BP's that would eat every 2-3 weeks and others that ate every 4-5 weeks. They were all healthy and my biggest one was actually a female who ate every four weeks. BP's get a reputation as being picky eaters but really they just don't eat as often as other species like boas. They're not particularly active snakes which is why they earned the nickname, "pet rocks".
      “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
      www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

Thank you both for your feeback. it has definitly eased my worries. I am used to the appetite that my two boas display. They never refuse a meal.

Comment

Working...
        X