X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TammyJam
    replied
    Re: Ball Python Cage Size?

The reason you are keeping snakes has a lot to do with how you house them, apart from the space actually available to you in your apartment or house.

Breeders will have them in stacked plastic cages and they do just fine if the conditions are correct and they are able to move around without crawling over themselves in a ball.

If they are pets and you have the space, then why not let them be able to hide in a cozy little hide box when they feel like it, and come out and get lots of exercise outside of the hide but inside the cage, on driftwood, other types of branches, rocks, water bowl etc., whenever the fancy takes them? I have observed that most snakes that I have seen or know about, do like small, dark hiding places, but they do not live in them. They come out to explore, move around, hunt, feed, drink, maybe soak a while in their water, and mate. I believe that with your pet snake, the opportunity should be provided for them to do these things inside their cage (except maybe mate!). And of course, providing them at the same time with correct conditions of humidity and temperatures.

Leave a comment:

• marya1962
    replied

I like the 321D. I just don't know if I will need to expand (is he going to grow anymore?) or not. Plus, I want to "match" at least half of Silk's cage which is two sections, each section four by two. And, by the way, if we don't stack his cage on her cage-main reason and big problem-we won't have enough room anywhere in the apartment for his cage. My room is being used for storage, my son's room is full and completely trashed, everywhere in the living room has got something taking it up, and the dining room has Silk's cage in it. And we've been downsizing both before and after the move in December 2014. The apartment is SMALL.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Pandorasdad
    replied

Originally posted by GoingPostal View Post
    My adult male is currently in a 4 x 2 cage
    Mine too. But you could go smaller. Boaphile Plastics makes a perfectly sized cage. The 321D.

Leave a comment:

• bcr_229
    replied

BP's are ground-dwelling snakes, in the wild they live in termite mounds. They really prefer small, tight spaces. A cluttered up 36"x18"x15" PVC or melamine enclosure would be perfect.

I keep mine in racks, the adult females get 41-qt underbed tubs and my males are in 34-qt underbed tubs.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Fu Joe
    replied

He will be fine in a 4X2... Just provide lots of cover and hides. He will move around more in a larger cage and not get overweight.

Leave a comment:

• acephantom903
    replied

I believe balls have no issues with large cages. My ex had her 4' ball in a 4.5'x2'x3' and it had 3 levels to it. He was always on the bottom unless he went up a layer to bask (no belly heating at all). Never touched the top level.

Leave a comment:

• GoingPostal
    replied

My adult male is currently in a 4 x 2 cage but has spent most of his life in a 3 x 2 and will be downsized again in a couple years once some babies grow up. He's about four feet but typical ball activity level, he doesn't move around much.

Leave a comment:

• Noelle7206
    replied

A tank that's one foot by 2 feet is a 20 gallon ('tall'); they also commonly sell cages that are shorter but 30" long, & they are still 20 gallon size. I'd say your current cage is too small.

If you are using a tank, I'd recommend a 40 gallon size for an adult BP...that's 3' long by about 18" wide & about 17" tall. A 4' x 2' Boaphile wouldn't be 'too big' for him, but remember you have to keep his cage
    pretty warm. A 3' x 2' would be fine too, if they make them?

Leave a comment:

• marya1962
    started a topic [Misc] Ball Python Cage Size?

Ball Python Cage Size?

I have a three foot ball python, we think it's a male (hasn't been officially sexed yet). He is around three years old. We don't know how much bigger he's going to get. Currently he is in a glass tank, maybe two feet long by one foot. Maybe thirty-five gallons? If he stretches out, he is about two inches longer than the three feet of the tank measurements. I want to get him a bigger cage. I want to get him a four by two foot Boaphile to stack on top of the red tail boa's eight by two. Will a four by two be too big for him? If so, how big a cage should we get? Or, as my son says, is his current cage just fine?
Working...
X