This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature cycling/Mating in columbian boas

Hello! I need some infos about boa breeding. Expecially about temp/light cycling, courting and mating. I've read that i must keep separate the male and the female and in october i must start to reduce light time and temps. In the end of november i must have 5 hours of light instead of 12 and DTH of low 80's and NTL of around 68F. Oftenly i can mist the animals during the day with warm water. I keep them separate in this condition for 5 weeks and than i gradually take temps and lights to the norm. Is this right? After that must i introduce male into female's cage immediatly or must i wait some time and continue to feed the female? When i put em ogether is it thrue that male stats courting for several days even for a month before start copulation? If the male loses interest in the female for a bit must i separe them for several days and replace em together or not?
    Excuse me for that lot of questions but you are expert breeders and i need some help breeding my 4 yrs old couple of boas! )
    Flavio

Thank you in advice!

Re:Temperature cycling/Mating in columbian boas

Hi Python2000,

Sorry it has taken so long for a reply. I figured Clay may want to answer this, but he has been busy so I will cover what I know works for me..

Now you said boas. Not sure if you mean BCI, or BCC. I will give you my info on the BCI because its more common. The main difference with BCC is they do require cooling more then the BCI..

Yes it will give you more sucess if you have been keeping the male and female sepratly. That works best for me and many others I have spoke with. When you do put them together always put the male in the females cage like you mentioned..

I do know several folks that do the cooling period with boas, I for one have never had to. I have been breeding Colubrids for about 8 years as well as a few litters of Balls, but Boas (BCI) I have only had two years doing it but I have never had a problem with out cooling them. I do however start changing the light cycle down from 12-14 hours a day to 8 hours a day. I do know others go to further extreme's, but I figure why change things it they work for me now.

With cooling the Colubrids I stop feedings 2-3 weeks before the cooling begins and don't offer food until they are back to correct temps for a few days. Then I offer food to both the male and female, Most of the time the male is not interested in food till he has bred. I try to put some food in the female before I place them together because the female will stop eating for months until she gives birth. Now with the boas. I just make sure the female is fat enough to safly breed. But since I do not cool the boas (BCI) I never stop the feedings. I would refer this question to someone who cools their boas.

As for pulling the male if the courting doesn't happen within a few hours. I do that. But I seperate them for the night and try the next day.
    With the colubrids I wait till the pre mating shed to put the male in. I also leave the shed in the tank when I into the male. Seems to help..

I know I didn't answer all your questions, I am hoping someone who cools will jump in and finish things up.

But I hope I helped a little..

Steve

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you my friend! Yes!.. i'm talking about BCI I have a 5 1/2 foot male and a near 6 ft, 4 years old and fast growing female. Can you tell me how long is the courting and mating period in BCI? Some people told me that they can court/mate for more than a month.
      Flavio

Comment

Hi Python2000,

Glad I could help a little..

Now again this is what works for me. I keep them together for a month. I do seperate them for feedings but put the right back together. I have never felt the need to leave them together over a month and so far I have had 100% sucess. Now keep in mind 100% sucess breeding boas to me is only 3 matings...

Hope that helps..

Steve

Comment

Steve covered it very well. I will say that I do not brumate any of my boas. I do however turn the heat off at night, and back on during the day, during breeding season.

Here is a premier article on just this very thing from Jeff Ronne

http://www.theboaphile.com/article.html
          To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
          -Clay English
          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Working...
          X