Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Much Info Don't Know Where To START!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Much Info Don't Know Where To START!!!

I am so confused as to what the first step is in breeding my babies? I have had them together forever and I don't know how the process begins? Should I seperate them and after that, then what? I really :'( want babies. These are my babies Momma and Solo. Please help!!!!!

Re:To Much Info Don't Know Where To START!!!

This is Momma my female.

Comment

Hi djsnake,

Welcome to the forums..

OK first an opinion then I will give info on what works for me..

If your snakes are BCI, consider it carefully if you breed them. Right now the market is flooded with BCI's and they don't move as fast as they used to. You will need to make sure you have the space for 10-40 babies that you may have for a year or more.. Just want you to consider everything..

OK, what to do.. I will not breed my boas until they are atleast 3 years old, I prefer 4 years old.. I don't keep my male and female together so that is not a worry for me. Seperate them right now and do not put them together until the breeding begins.. Boas that are kept together in the same tank are so much less likly to breed at all. I will suggest you wait till late September to start ruding the light time for them. Drop it down to 8 hours a day instead of the 12 hour days. Also alot have had better luck cutting the heat down at night to about 75-80 in the cool side. and about 85-87 in the warm side. Just make sure to bring the heat back up to normal during the day. I like to feed my females a Guinea Pig every other feeding during the three months prior to into'ing the male and female together. This puts some extra fat on the females and has always given my bigger clutches of babies and never a health problem with the females. About January 10th or so I feed both boas and about 30 mins after they eat, I take the female put her back in the cage and then take the male and put him into her cage, and with some luck, the courting begins.. I let him live with her for one month. I keep a close eye on the female to look for her swelling from ovulation and to make sure the male isn't too agressive with her.. Then after a month or so I take the male and put him back in his own cage. While they are together I feed them both seperatly and tend to feed the female an extra rat as long as she wants it..

Hope that helps some..

Steve

Comment

Thanks fir the info, I really appreciate it. I thought that was the right way but I had problems with what dates to start. You have made that alot clearer to me. Could I seperate them now and maybe start the process early. I can control their heat ot is better just to use a regular seasonal cycle? Heres another pic of me female.

Comment

Hi dj,

I would seperate them as soon as possible. I have only tried during their normal breeding season, well close to it. I have found when the pressure system changes in the air it makes them want to breed more. I do believe that it has alot more to do with the time of the season more so then with temps. I have had luck with not even cooling, just put them together in Jan or Feb and the started courting..

Hope that helps
          Steve

Comment

I really appreciate the advice, have you bred before and if so do you have pics or a sure proof way to breed your boas? I really would like the input...

Comment

Here is the best article you can read on the process. This article was published in Reptiles Magazine and he is also published in "The Boa Constrictor Manual"

http://www.theboaphile.com/article.html
              To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
              -Clay English
              Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Wow, I had never read that article and I'm so very glad I did. I'm just getting into breeding my Hog Island Boas and I hope to breed a lot of different boas in the future. Very informative stuff as always from Mr. Ronne, and enthusiasm for boas that is really contagious.

Everyday I get more and more interested in these snakes in particular, help I'm getting hooked!
                (Wait perhaps I'm going to the wrong place for help, hehe)

-Erica

Comment

First of thanks for the site Clay it is most appreciated. Maybe you could have one of our first beautiful babies???
                  Second Erica when you have your first clutch could you please write us an e-mail??? We have wanted a hogg for a while and you will probably need some buyers??? Let us know thanx
                  Chris

Comment

Will do dj! I'll post pics of the male and female as soon as they get settled in and eating for me. ;D

-Erica

Comment

Working...
                    X