This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shedding

Im just full of questions today lol Heres the new one my snake just finished a shed with a little help that is I soaked him in some shed ease for about 25 min and he still has some patches left that almost seem (crusty)thats the only word I could think of to describe it.If anyone could tell me what that might be or how to cure it please tell me.Thank You DRAVEN

Re:Shedding

Hey Draven,

Ask all the Q's you have,,

OK, one of my rescues went through the hardest shed I have ever dealt with years od dealing with snakes. To fix the problem you must determine the cause. Two main causes of common shed problems are either humidity is too low or their is a bactiera probelm in the snake that is causing the skin to dry out. First assume its the humidity. make sure your using a good humidity guage and not one of those stick on ones, they are always wrong. Keep the humidity up to 60-70% till its next shed and see if this helps. Also a good idea is to give your boa a soak just after his eyes clear up from blue phase. About an hour in water that is just cool to your touch. Also try to get some Vita-Spray from four paws. Its like 5 bucks at most pet shops. Just spray it on the boa a few times a week. Not the head though. It will make the skin like silk and help with shedding. If these don't work take some poo into the vet and have them check for the protazoa levels.

Hope that helps
    Steve

Comment

Look here it is something I wrote on Hard sheds..

http://forum.redtailboas.com/index.p...;threadid=2332

Hope that helps
      Steve

Comment

If it's just a few patches, a nice lukewarm soak should do the job. Take a damp cloth and gently rub the retained skin toward the tail; do not force the skin off by any means. It may take more than one soak.

Comment

Soaking is always a great aide in pre-shed dates...

My mainstay is the spray bottle, by misting with a fine mist of warm water as they are opaque.. Perfect sheds everytime..
          To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
          -Clay English
          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

I would like to thank all of you who answered my question.My baby chyna receently went thru her next shed.It came out a perfect shed.What I did was gave her a bath in shed ease once a week and misted her 4 or 5 times a day with warm water.It was kind of cool how she did it I put my hand under her head for support and took my other hand and put it where she was shedding and she got the idea to move as I held on and off came her skin.I did no pulling on the skin she did it all on her own it was pretty cool.

Comment

Hey draven,

Glad things worked out.. Soaking and misting work great. Just try not to mist so much. Misting too much can cause another possible problem. Belly rot.. if you mist once a day, no more that is fine. Most like me will mist in pre shed and until the blue clears in her eyes..

Hope that helps..
              Steve

Comment

I have a BoaPhile cage. That does the trick everytime!!!!

Comment

Got to love those Boaphile's. I haven't ever had any trouble with shedding with the Boaphile's.
                  Just the other day I got to watch my male shed from start to finish. It was pretty cool to see how they start the skin comeing off. I am still trying to get a camera so I can post some pic's. Congrat's on your great shed!

TAT 8)

Comment

Yep, before my Boaphile cage my boa would never have complete sheds. Now he sheds perfect everytime, its GREAT!

Comment

Working...
                    X