This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexing baby bci

Hey all, I'm new here just cuz i have a quick question. I have a baby male bci and am lookin to get a female, well the lady i am lookin to buy from has 10 or so and isnt sure of the sex. I want to get female only. We have no probing ability and have heard popping can be harmful if you dont know what you're doin. Is there another safe and easy option for a beginner that is also reliable? They are about 3 months old 21" or so

Re:Sexing baby bci

Lakerboy,

Popping baby snakes is fine and safe if done right. 3 months old is too old to do it safe.. The only true way to find out would be probing. This can also cause damage if sone by someone who is too rough or just plain doesn't know what they are doing. I learned from an old time herper who showed me the best way. There is no other way you can be sure, it becomes a guess.. Some will say the ones with the big spurs are males. I find that to be about 50% true. I have had males with little spurs and females with big spurs. It becomes a guess again. Most vets or "GOOD" pet shops can probe for you. I know the local shop here will do it for free as long as you call first and make a time to do it. Let me again state, don't try popping at 3 months. Their muscles down there are stronger and it can hurt them.. Also should not that Popping can be a good way, it is not 100% either. If you pop the snake and both hemipenises pop they you can be 100% sure, if only a little something pops, it could be a male that didn't pop all the way, or a female..

Good Luck
    Steve

Comment

Re:Sexing baby bci

Without trying to sound like a parrot that says everything it's owner says; Steve is right on the mark on this one. I would highly recommend finding an experienced and qualified herp vet to have the boa probed. They are past the "SAFE" age to pop them, so probing is your best bet. Good luck!

Jeff

Comment

Working...
      X