X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time breeding for me and my snakes

Hello everyone.
    I will be breeding my BCI's for the first time this year. I was hoping everyone that has bred their BCI's could give me some advice. ???
    My female is approx. 13 yrs. and 8 to 8 1/2 ft., my male is approx. 5 yrs. and 7 1/2 to 8 ft.
    I also need to find a source for frozen guinea pigs that will accept money orders. Everyone around me knows I have snakes, so they won't part with their guinea pigs. I know I should feed my female a g.p. every 2nd. or 3rd. feeding before breeding her.
    Cage temps, light cycles, etc.
    Thank you for all your help. I'm looking forward to the advice I will be receiving.

Re:First time breeding for me and my snakes

Hello Teana,

First remember that since your female is older, you may end up with alot of slugs.. Mainly about November first you should intro the male into the females cage. Watch them and see if the male courts the female. If the male shows no interest, just pull him and try again in a week. Make sure the female is fed a little extra, and by adding guinea pigs to her diet, the extra fat will help. If you want to go by some suggested ideas, let the cage drop about 6 degrees at night until you see mating and ovulation swell happen. The male may need to mate several times with the female to insure she becomes gravid.. I know some also reduce the light cycle to 10 hours a day of light, the rest dark..

If you have specific questions, just ask.. Keep us posted how things go..

Steve

Comment

You can get G.P. at
      www.rodentpro.com

TAT 8)

Comment

You may also feed rabbits, if they are more readily available.

There is a great article on breeding boas located on Jeff Ronne's site, and it answers most of your questions.

It discusses when to take your boas off food, and when to introduce the male.

Check it out here

http://www.theboaphile.com/article.html

To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
        -Clay English
        Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Hi my name is matt im breeding my red tail boas for the first time and I need some help. My female is about 9 1/2 feet and in good health. But she has not eaten since july 24 till this day it is 9/1/03 I have to faten here up, but dont get the wrong idea she is not skinny she is very strong and has fat but im afriad not enough to breed. I have tried chikens, pigeons, rats, geunipigs, she refuses to eat any ideas. and what is the temp in the cage while the male is in with her and while she is pregnant. if you want to see pics of my female please show me how to put them in, oh my male is 8ft long.

Comment

sorry im reply #4 you call email me at [email protected] please reply

Comment

Working...
            X