This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time breeding need fast help

Hi my name is matt im breeding my red tail boas for the first time and I need some help. My female is about 9 1/2 feet and in good health. But she has not eaten since july 24 till this day it is 9/1/03 I have to faten here up, but dont get the wrong idea she is not skinny she is very strong and has fat but im afriad not enough to breed. I have tried chikens, pigeons, rats, geunipigs, she refuses to eat any ideas. and what should the temp in the cage while the male is in with her and while she is pregnant. if you want to see pics of my female , oh my male is 8ft long. also email me at [email protected]

0%

Re:first time breeding need fast help

Hi Matt,

May not like to hear this, but if she is not eating for all that time, there is an issue that needs to be fixed before you attempt to breed her. Have to find why she is not eating. It just isn't normal for a bao to skip that many meals for that long. Breeding her now, could be very risky. If she has health issues that you don't know of yet, those issues could be passed to the babies or worse, come out during her pregnacy. Its real hard to safly treat a snake while its gravid. Heck some issues could kill her. Being gravid is real rough on the body. All my girls are feed extra prior to breeding because many will go off feed for months. So in all honesty, you should postpone breeding till you fix the eating issue.

Now the eating issues could be caused by something as simple as low temps, bad humidity to RI, Mouth rot, stress, being backed up and not going to the bathroom. The list goes on. List some further info on your boa and maybe we can figure the issue. What are the temps on the hot side and the cool side, humidity level, etc.. Is the cage right by a TV or stereo, etc..

Not worth the risk, hold off breeding for a few months till she is eating regular again and has gotton back to normal..

Hope this helps
    Steve

Comment

thanks for answering so fast I forgote to tell you I built a cage for my snakes i can send pics go and email me or give me your email adress I made a 8 ft long by 4 ft high, and 4 ft wide so its big and I put a divider in the middle to seperate the snakes but they can still smell eachother. but my male is eating well his last feed was 8/22/03 and he his doing good. When I first got her she did the same thing and didn't eat for a while and when she does eat I chain feed her 3 jumbos. and that was 5 weeks ago you think she is still digesting I found a littile bit of white and yellow fecies maybe a hand full. I will like to send you a pic please include a email address so i can reach you and show you. thanks. matt

Comment

Hey Matt,

email [email protected]

Gotta watch the power feeding. it can do damage to the boas stomach. That could be part of the issue.. I assume because you said chain feed, you are feeding fresh killed ot Frozen thawed.. That is good.. Now there are some tricks to get her to eat.. Just tell me how you normally feed her.

Steve

Comment

ok I usually hold the rat with tongs and wave the thawed rat infront of her and she would take it right away or I would just put the rat next to her and she would take it right away. but latly she would just smell the rat and leave it. I left the rat today for about 4 hours in her cage and she didn't touch it. and if I put a live prey item in the cage she would come up to it like she did to the chiken and the pigon with ceriocity but not touch it. ill send you pics of her to your email and the cage. she deficated a little today and I took a pic of it. not even a hand full.

Comment

Ok you confused me, your on with two names..LOL

Got the pics.. Those are giant images..LOL

OK.. Just for the heck of it.. Try this as soon as you can..

Take that girl and give her a nice long hour soak in luke cool water.. Just where is barley feels cool to your touch, not cold or warm.. Soak her for a solid hour, then pat her dry with a towel. Offer her food 10 mins later. Just hang it in front of her for a few mins.. Don't tap the rat on her.. Also offer a smaller size then you have been.. If she takes it great, if not, try these two things.. Drop the rat in in front of her hinde, kill all lights and leave her be for atleast an hour.. No peeking.. If after an hour you go back and she is no where close to it, or facing away.. Take the rat out, rewarm it, dribble a little chicken broth on the rats neck, run it in the neck. Offer again.. If no reaction, last try is to take an exacto knife and cut down the skull, expose the brain, use the knife to smear the brain just a tad on the face.. Offer, kill the lights and leave her alone with it for atleast an hour.. If you can, leave over night.

If you tried feeding in the past 4 days, wait till 4 days pass with no handling..

Good luck
            keep us posted.
            Steve

Comment

Hey one more Question.. Looked at the pics better.. Do you have anything for belly heat? That could be an issue with the feeding..

Steve

Comment

i have heat pades they are the best in the world. 300 dollars each. I will send a pic to your email

Comment

Did you try feeding yet?

Steve

Comment

did you see the pads what do you think of them. They are used originally for piglets to warm them up as they nurse. I will use your stragety, but about the chicken broth use the cubed premade ones or boil chicken pecies and use that? please reply with comment on pads and on all other ways to get her to eat. thank you dude

Comment

If you are on right now type online then we can chat

Comment

and what country are you guys in or state or city

Comment

Hey,

I am on line right now.. but the chat is down..

I am in NY..
                          Steve

Comment

bye the way steve about the chicken broth, do I use the cubed chicken broth or should I boil my own chicken

matt

Comment

Hey Matt,

The pads I didn't see, they were in attachments instead of embedded.. Firewall won't let me open it normally.. But other then the price they sound like the pig blankets I use in my double house..

As for the chicken brooth. The one time I used it, I got a can or chicken brooth from the super market..

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X