Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit Pastel Salmon Boa Breeding.

Hi.

I have a male and a female summit pastel salmon boa. I plan on breeding them for the first time in January. What will i expect to get from them. Im not
    sure about the genetics. I would also like to get another female or two to breed as well. What type of boa would be a good idea to go with my male.

Re: Summit Pastel Salmon Boa Breeding.

scroll down as I just picked up a double dose summit pastel. There are pics of mom and dad and then my baby. The outcome was amazing babies. The entire litter was awesome. I got mine from Jeff Carr from west coast constrictors

Comment

I don't know what you can expect from your summit x summit breeding (apart from kool pastels), but I can say that I have read the breeding chapter in the care guide a few times in the last couple of days and it's recommended that you ave one male per female. The reason being that a smaller, sexually mature male will be more likely to be accepted by the female. Large males may not be as successful in courtship due to their size being somewhat of a 'turn off' for the female. So the smaller male, while more acceptable to the female, probably will not have the strength and endurance to breed more than one female per year. The larger male will have more strength and endurance, but may not be accepted by the female. So it is best to have one male per female.

Comment

Im not planning on breeding him right away to another female. I was just wondering what type of boa would be a good pairing.

Comment

Originally posted by gosryan View Post
          Hi.

I have a male and a female summit pastel salmon boa. I plan on breeding them for the first time in January. What will i expect to get from them. Im not
          sure about the genetics. I would also like to get another female or two to breed as well. What type of boa would be a good idea to go with my male.
          This type of question is incredibly difficult to answer for three reasons:

1.) We don't have any idea how much money you want to spend. You could get a Hypo for $100 or you could get a VPI T+ Sunglow for $8000 - and everything in-between.

2.) If you are "unsure about the genetics" then will anything I say make sense? What if I say you should get a Motley or A Jungle or a Sunglow or an Aztec? What about a Key West Boa or a Sharp Sunglow or an Arabesque? How about a Leopard or a Blood or a het Roswell? Do you know what any of those are or what you could make with them?

3.) What you should get to breed with your snake(s) is a matter of personal taste. If you have no opinions as to what you would like to produce then you should either do some research to decide what you like or you shouldn't breed anything. Incidentally, in the process of researching the morphs that are out there you will learn a LOT about "the genetics".

That having been said, I will take a stab at answering this question.

If you want to make a cool morph with the first breeding, you need to get a snake with a Morph that is Dominant, Co-Dominant or Incomplete Dominant. These animals will produce approximately half a litter of animals with that morph. Some examples of this would be:

Hypo/Salmon
          Jungle
          Motley

There are other morphs that are recessive. This means that you need two copies of the gene for it to be visual.

Basically albino is recessive and so is anerythristic. You can make various combination morphs using one or more of any of these traits. But since your snake is not het for albino or anery, you won't get any visual morphs the first breeding. You would get animals with 1 copy of the gene in question and you would then have to breed the Het offspring to another animal carrying the gene to produce the morph.

I find that one way to figure out what I snakes I want to buy is to look at a bunch different morphs and decide what I think is the coolest animal on earth. Then I work backwards to figure out how to make one.

Good Luck!

Comment

I was thinking of crossing with a snow. I understand genetics a little but Im not sure about the lettering you would use for each hypo. I thought that with a snow i would get a wide range and possibly a moonglow. rare but possible i heard. im just starting to get into the genetics and im tryin to see what would be a smart choice.

Comment

A moonglow is a snake that is homozygous for anery and albino and at least het. for hypo/salmon.

To have a possibility of making a moonglow each parent snake would have to be at least het for albino and anery, and at least one parent would have to be a hypo/salmon.

If you bred your Pastel Salmon to a Snow you would get:

Het. Hypo, Homozygous Anery , Homozygous Albino,
              x
              Het. Hypo,

25% Het. Anery , Het. Albino,(DH or double het Snow)
              50% Het. Hypo, Het. Anery , Het. Albino,(TH or triple het Moonglow)
              25% Homozygous Hypo, Het. Anery , Het. Albino,(Super Hypo TH Moonglow)

Basically 3 our of 4 would be TH moonglow with a 33%(i think) chance of being a Super Hypo or having 2 copies of the Hypo gene.

1 out of 4 would be DH Snow.

Comment

Originally posted by judgment View Post
                A moonglow is a snake that is homozygous for anery and albino and at least het. for hypo/salmon.
                So then a Moonglow looks like a Snow and will produce Albino's Anery's and possibly Hypos as well, provided the other mate is Hypo or het for it?

Comment

Hypo is a trait that is visual with only one copy of the gene. A gene is made up of two halves. If a trait is dominant or codominant then only one copy of a particular gene is necessary to create the morph in question. This is called being heterozygous or "het" for X. Hypo, Jungle, Motley, and Arab are all examples of either a Dominant or Codominant trait. If one of these traits then has a "Super" form as in Super Motley or Super Jungle, that morph is Codominant. This means that two copies of the gene, when present, will create a discernably different-looking animal than if only one copy of the gene were present. Having two copies of a gene is called being homozygous for that trait.

Sometimes people refer to a hypo as being a Super Hypo or possible Super Hypo. This means that it has or may have 2 copies of the Hypo gene. However, since a Super Hypo is not visually discernable from a regular Hypo with any degree of consistency, it is considered a Dominant mutation.

Albino and Anerythristic are recessive. This means that a snake with only one copy of either of these genes is not visually discernable from a normal animal. A snake that is TH or triple het Moonglow will look like a Hypo. The only way to tell if an animal is het for a recessive trait is to know with certainty that the parents had to pass one copy of the gene in question to the offspring, or to breed the poss. het animal and produce some recessive trait.

A Snow is an animal that is both Albino and Anerythristic. Albino removes melanin which is the compound that makes black pigment and Anerythristic removes erythrin which is the compound that produces red pigment.

A Moonglow is an animal that is Albino, Anerythristic and Hypomelanistic. Hypo also removes melanin which results in a snake that looks slightly different from a Snow.

Here is an article from Wikipedia that does a better albeit much more complicated job of explaining genetics:

Gene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

hi
                    i have just got (3 pastel salmon boa males) & (2 pastel salmon boa females ) they are all het anerythristic and i was wondering what the out come would be when breed togather or when breed to a normal female .
                    and also 1 male & 1female have extremely red bellys and im not to sure what to make of them does anyone have any answers because im confused when it comes to pastel salmons .
                    thanks antony

Comment

I know this is an older thread but: there is no such thing as het for hypo with boas like there is with bps, its either visually there or it's not. A moonglow is a hypo anery albino, or a hypo snow. Sorry wrong info in forums drives me crazy, had to clarify that! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X