looking to make snow, help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to make snow, help?

I recently became a boa enthusiast I own a columbian normal 100% het anery female, and a kahl albino. I want to make a snow for keeping. I dont want to become a major breeder, lust want the goal of making a snow. I dont want to keep back all the babies either. I just want to pick a male and female from the first clutch and mate them to make the goal snow. I know its hopfully in the 2nd clutch. should I do this or look for a albino female thats het for aneryto pair with the albino male OR look for a female anery. I love my two and dont want to get alot of others ahhhhhhhhhhh. So what do you guys think? any guidance?

Re: looking to make snow, help?

both parents need the anrey and the albino gene

so an anrey het bino x bino het anrey

anrey het bino x DH snow

albino het anrey x DH snow

DH Snow x DH Snow

and i think thats it neither of your boas would make snows till the 2nd litter that is right so its up to you if you want to wait and use your own or just go out and get 2 boas

Comment

thanks mike that helps Guess its just the choice of now or way later. thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by MSwift View Post
        both parents need the anrey and the albino gene

so an anrey het bino x bino het anrey

anrey het bino x DH snow

albino het anrey x DH snow

DH Snow x DH Snow

and i think thats it neither of your boas would make snows till the 2nd litter that is right so its up to you if you want to wait and use your own or just go out and get 2 boas
        He's actually further away than two litters with his current stock. Breeding what he currently owns will only get him albino hets because breeding a het anery to a normal will get you possible hets and there is no way of telling which was het and which wasn't.

Ron, if I was you I would look at picking up an anery het snow and breeding that with your albino. That would give you Albino het snows and DH snows that you could breed back to either parent and have a real good chance of getting snows in that litter.

Comment

dirtyshooter thats pretty direct and very helpful thanks the pair is albino x normal het anery

Comment

Originally posted by ron petri View Post
            dirtyshooter thats pretty direct and very helpful thanks the pair is albino x normal het anery
            Then you are just one snake away right now from starting your project.

Here's another helpful hint. I would spring for a REALLY nice anery het albino. Very clean and light, like an Ivory Anery line. The better anery you have the better snows you will make. And no, not all snows are alike. LOL!

I know a breeder who might have some Ivory Aneries if you are interested. He's a member here so I would have no problem giving you his information if you would like.

Comment

wow thanks I m actually not in the market right now. but I ll be looking in the future for a anery het albino or anery het snow. and these are for the male albino right? funny my female normal het anery is from a ivory anery father. so I m looking for a female anery het snow or albino I m in florida I ll probably check out the repticon in orlando.

Comment

Thats cool man. Just remember the lighter the background color the better because thats what will show up as yellow in your snow.

Another hint is to look at the parents of the anery you are looking to buy if at all possible. The babies will all have a gray/silver base color that will brown with age. Looking at the parents will give you a better idea of how the baby will look like as an adult.

Comment

Thanks dirty i thought that was right but was not sure

Comment

if you want snow babies in the second generation, you should look for a female anery for your kahl male, breed them together, hold back a pair of your babies, and breed those together. when you breed the two DH babies you should hopefully get some snows.

Comment

Originally posted by satyra View Post
                      if you want snow babies in the second generation, you should look for a female anery for your kahl male, breed them together, hold back a pair of your babies, and breed those together. when you breed the two DH babies you should hopefully get some snows.
                      Breeding siblings should be avoided if at all possible. Especially when working with the albino gene. Breeding back to a parent only duplicates half the gene pool but then subsequent generations should be out-crossed with completely unrelated stock. IMO anyway.

Comment

Step 1: go to your local Rent-A-Center
                        Step 2: ask for a snow-maker...

So sorry, I just couldn't help myself.......

http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

tis is true, but he asked what he could do with his current snakes :/ if it were me i would just buy a pair of dh snows, they are dirt cheap now and you would get snows in the first generation, which would cut out at least 3-4 years for the OP in making his snow. they are getting so common now that most breeders can offer unrelated pairs, and you could even get a TH baby for real cheap now instead of two DH snows and have a shot at a moonglow.

Comment

If the OP really isn't that interested in breeding but he is using breeding to get to a goal of having a snow than this is the wrong way of doing it. Save $20 a week for 2 years and buy the best snow you can find. If you are really looking at breeding for DH, than breeding back to get snows you are at least 5 years out, probably more, you have to house and feed 4 snakes, and then sell off the remainder babies to ??????? It is much better to save and buy IMO

Comment

Originally posted by ron petri View Post
                              ...and dont want to get alot of others...
                              give it time...

and dapozer is right... you'd get one MUCH sooner if you saved and bought one outright. you'd save time and probably even money in the long run. once you figure feeding and housing all the babies that will be produced, and that you may or may not actually sell all the babies, and that (by breeding a non-het to a het) you'd only get possible hets for anery, it'd be much cheaper and less of a hastle to just buy one.

although it is MUCH more fun to actually produce one on your own...

either way, good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X