Sexing my boa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexing my boa

I'm not looking to breed my boa right now but I do want to give him her a proper name. Can anyone tell what would be the best way to tell the sex. Besides probing right now that's not an option and popping is out of the question cuz it way to big 6 ft. Is there any hints or clues I should look for?

Re: Sexing my boa

you could feel for the hemipenes on back side of the cloaca or lack of or size of spurs on each side of cloaca males are larger, if you had another to compare to, a vet can probe it.

Comment

Originally posted by ron petri View Post
      you could feel for the hemipenes on back side of the cloaca or lack of or size of spurs on each side of cloaca males are larger, if you had another to compare to, a vet can probe it.
      I wish I had a local vet to go see. It's almost a two hour drive from where I live and petco and petsmart aren't very useful or reliable with information. What exactly am I looking for in feeling for hemipenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Reyes81487 View Post
        I wish I had a local vet to go see. It's almost a two hour drive from where I live and petco and petsmart aren't very useful or reliable with information. What exactly am I looking for in feeling for hemipenes.
        YouTube - 8 Ball Pythons - Popping Lessons

Comment

Not even all vets can do it. I know ours cannot. They are primarily cat/dog and bird but the most they do for reps is antibotic shots for the majority. I tried to get them to probe my kingsnake a few years back and my boa and they said no (even though I offered to pay to have it done).

I don't recommend probing (you said you won't though) if you have no experience at it. I've read if you do it too wrong you can tear through some tissues and such which is what has detoured me from trying it.

I have 3 snakes which I have no clue what they are... it sucks! If you find a way that wont hurt them let me know lol

Comment

when you feel for hemipenes, you need to feel on the underside of the tail, right in the middle of the tip of the tail and the vent. you just use your thumb and index finger, start at the vent, press firmly but gently and run your fingers from the vent to the tip of the tail, with one finger on the top, and the other on the bottom of the tail. if its a male, you will feel a little pop, i guess thats the word for it. pretty much you are feeling for the ends of the hemipenes.

with older snakes ive foudn it to be very reliable, but the only drawback is that it takes a little practice to get it right, and if your snake is uncomfortable with you touching its tail, it will clench its muscles down there and even if its a full grown male you will not feel the ends of the hemipenes :/ luckily for us, my males are all comfortable with me touching them everywhere so its easy for me to feel the little pop lol.

Comment

Like I said you can't exactly pop a 6 ft boa constrictor

Comment

show good pictures of tail.And jeff and others would tell you what it is and most likely be right.

Comment

Does anyone else use satyras method on big snakes (6-8 foot) with success?

Sorry to hijack your thread but can you "pop" a 9-10 inch cornsnake? I don't know it's age but its super tiny. Thin as a mcdonalds french fry and still on pinky mice.

Comment

So I tried it was relaxed and let me feel with no strain. When I was done I noticed a black secreation coming out of the back of the cloaca where the hemipenes would come out of does anyone know what it is? Wasn't like poop so please no poop jokes. I'll take pictures of the tail tonight and post them asap.

Comment

Originally posted by bterrill View Post
                      Does anyone else use satyras method on big snakes (6-8 foot) with success?

Sorry to hijack your thread but can you "pop" a 9-10 inch cornsnake? I don't know it's age but its super tiny. Thin as a mcdonalds french fry and still on pinky mice.
                      I've done it without any issues with my corn he was 12 inches tried to bite me after wards though.

Comment

Ok I will try it today when I move him (or her) to a diff cage. I'll hope for the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Reyes81487 View Post
                          Like I said you can't exactly pop a 6 ft boa constrictor
                          Sorry about that Reyes, I did miss that 6 foot detail. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by nediver View Post
                            Sorry about that Reyes, I did miss that 6 foot detail. My bad.
                            Lol that's ok

Comment

Working...
                            X