tracking LOTS of boas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracking LOTS of boas

for those of you who have LOTS of boas from multiple pairings (so many that you stopped naming them ), what kind of system do you use to track them?

do you have a different "group" for each breeding based on the genetics of the sire/dam, then add a number after it or semething?

i'm trying to start some kind of system, but don't even know where to start.

thanks!

Re: tracking LOTS of boas

I have seen some breeders that abbreviate the morph followed by the generation and a number

eg: motphalbinoF2_10

Comment

I use vyper tracking software. When I enter an animal into the database it gives each animal a number or I can use a custom number. My wife does the custom numbers and keeps up with all the animals. Each breeding pair gets a number for that pairing. All offspring from that pairing will use the letter or numbers from that pairing then just add the animal. Trying to explain it makes it seem complicated but its really not. The Vyper system has made things around here much easier.

Comment

the breeder I got my female from named his from somthing he was into like mortal combat names Frost katana raiden scorpion etc. I ll probably use justice league I ve got a guide with the characters. I ve got the K thing going on katana kenji there two holdback kids will be kalel and kara (superman and supergirl). another way How I found my kenji name looked up japenese names with K to go with Katana. Kenji easier to say. but under K there hundreds. on the net look for kids names boys names girls names. Just some Ideas. Let us know what you come up with.

Comment

I also use Vyper. You can try it free for 30 days and its not that much to purchase. Another system that I think works well is to name the animal by when it was born and then what it is. Then if you use cards you put the sire X dam on the card. So it might look something like this for a litter-

Sire: DH Sunglow

Dam: Albino

Born: 05/08/2009

So you might have some sunglows, some albinos, and some DH Sunglows. You would name them as such

050809FSun-1 (date of litter, male or female, number)
          050809MSun-2 (etc)
          050809MDh-1 (first DH in litter)
          050809FAlb-3 (3rd albino female in litter)

You can vary this system but this is a good way to track animals that are for same because they all have unique #'s. I don't like paper and what I really like about Vyper is that it keeps track of so much more than just the numbers. If you like you can PM me your email and I can send you some screen shots of the way I have it setup. It takes a little getting used to but in general is very intuitive software.

Comment

vyper here also. very nice and the Jim, customer support is awsome. Always adapting and adding feature that we want. Good guy, nice data base.
            Shawn

Comment

Chris, Ive been using iherp which is great to track husbandry, loan outs loan in's, sold animals breeding and lineage of your animals....and now they have there mobile site where you can update your animals through your cell phone's browser

But, yesterday I downloaded the free 30 day trial of viper and its awsome..to the point where you can track how many frozen feeders you have in stock...and also with every animal you sell you can calculate what your profit is per animal...I think ill be switching over to vyper....

YouTube - Reptile Tracking Software from J. Kobylka Reptiles!

Comment

Vyper is great. Jim is a great guy to work with. We helped with some of the beta testing on the program. It is very user friendly compared to some of the other programs out there. I highly recomend it.

Comment

now that you guys mention it, i do remember hearing about vyper. it sounds really good. the only thing is, i really would like a mobile app for my iphone, which is why i just started with iherp. so far, no complaints.

chris, can you give me an example of the numbering system it gives? can you use both letters and numbers in the custom one?

thanks!

Comment

ahhhhh, crap... the MAC version is still 'in-the-works.'

once that comes out, and IF he makes an iphone app for it that will sync the data with the desktop version, i'm SOLD.

Comment

I've tried tracking with computer programs, but I've decided they're not for me.

I simply use a notebook and a pen. Sometimes it's a pencil if I'm not sure if the ovulation was an ovulation, but most times it's a pen.

I find it conveinant and I can take it with me anywhere. I have one notebook for all breedings/babies/sold/freebies and such.

Then I have additional notebooks for each individual animal. I keep track of meals/shed/poos/if they refuse a meal... ect.

BTW The reason I stopped using the programs.... My computer crashed and I lost "everything". If not for my "notebooks", I would have "permanently" lost everything. At least, the info part.

So, as cool as some of these programs are, I'll just stick to my notebooks.

Comment

Vyper. iherp is good but not nearly as detailed and then there is the problem of losing all your info should the site become defunct for any reason. Having your own records and keeping proper backups is the smarter way to go IMO and Vyper will even remind you to back up your files. Also I think I should mention a proper backup is a copy of the information away from the location of the original ie: a friends house, safety deposit box etc... Whether you keep digital or hand written records, water or fire damage in your records area will be a huge bummer so your back ups should always be kept off site and updated frequently. Copying to an external that is sitting right beside your computer is not a back up, it's a waste of time and money I think.

Mat.

Comment

How does Viper compare to Degei? I have been using Degie and I like it. Also, there is a free version which is nice, but if Viper is that much better I may have to switch over now.

Anyone who has used both I'd love to hear your opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunglikeafruitbat View Post
                            Vyper. iherp is good but not nearly as detailed and then there is the problem of losing all your info should the site become defunct for any reason. Having your own records and keeping proper backups is the smarter way to go IMO and Vyper will even remind you to back up your files. Also I think I should mention a proper backup is a copy of the information away from the location of the original ie: a friends house, safety deposit box etc... Whether you keep digital or hand written records, water or fire damage in your records area will be a huge bummer so your back ups should always be kept off site and updated frequently. Copying to an external that is sitting right beside your computer is not a back up, it's a waste of time and money I think.

Mat.
                            my external hard drive is in my fire-safe

i'd love to try vyper, but there's not yet a mac version. i emailed the guy about it and he said the beta will be out sometime in january, but an iphone app isn't yet in the works

so iHerp it is, for now... that's fine, though... it works well for me at this point. i'll just have to make up my own ID system.

here's what i'm thinking...

for example, my PK poss super salmon jungle will be: MPSSJ07-01

that would be "Male Poss Super Salmon Jungle, born in 07"

once i start having litters, i'll figure out some way to combine the sire/dam and birthdate along with a number for each offspring. i guess i'll cross that bridge when i get to it (assuming this ban doesn't go through )

Comment

I love Vyper..... and customer support is great.... It is alot more user friendly than degei..... I used to use Iherp.... but the biggest problem I had was when I decided to use something else.... the only way I was able to save my data was to print a hard copy.... the admin wouldnt give me a data table or anything

I dont like the idea of all of my data stored somewhere else..... With Vyper I have my data getting backed up to a remote server..... so I will always have a copy

Comment

Working...
                              X