What to breed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to breed?

I have a khal albino striped. Im trying to figure out what to breed it with i would like do something thats nice and going to be in. Can you guys and gals lend any help at all? thanks in advance.

Re: What to breed?

How bout a Lipstick(Burke) or Pastel(Ronne) DH sunglow. That would be my choices.

Comment

Well its up to you wahat ayou want to breed it with. You coukd breed anything in th ebcc and bci morphs, so it is up to you . If i had an albino stripe though i would put a het sunglo or a anery, but many people prolly rthink otherwise because i suck at genetics....

Comment

Thanks guys in kinda looking for a nice morph with great colors. Im into the colors alot im not a breeder but i thought hey why not make a cool morph and make a couple bucks while im at it and keep some babies for my own pets but i dont too much want to sit on babies for long time. im just a hobbiest who loves the breed of red tails...thanks again guys all input is thanked.

Comment

I spoke with Jeff (the boaphile) yesterday and he does have some amazing DH pastel sunglows that are NOT on his site yet. You may want to give him a call. Here's an idea of what you could produce:
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Roblow View Post
            I have a khal albino striped. Im trying to figure out what to breed it with i would like do something thats nice and going to be in. Can you guys and gals lend any help at all? thanks in advance.
            Don't worry about what's going to be "IN" or not. Breed what you want.

If you're going for Albinos, there will be buyers. If you're going for Sunglows... There's buyers for those too.

People seem to really like the dramatic "look" of Albinos and Sunglows. Most people, that just want a pet, don't know the difference between a "higher" quality Albino/Sunglow. So, they might not understand the price difference if you have the higher quality bloodlines. BTW "Most" Albinos/Sunglows look pretty darn good when they're born. You don't see the "need" for a higher quality bloodline until they start to mature an the more "common" ones fade.

If you're going to for DH Sunglow.... There's still buyer for those.

If you're just trying for some Het Albinos.... Well, people like "normal" boas too. Yeah, the "Het" part.... Not so many people want to pay more for something they can't see. At least, not the ones that are looking for a "pet". It's only another person that's going to be breeding boas that really cares about recessive genes.

If you want to go for something "different"..... Like a double or triple het.... Yeah, people like normals. Yeah, when it comes to double and triple hets.. People tend to buy from breeders that have been around for a while.

Someone that's new to breeding boas. Well, like I said, people like normals too. I'm not saying you won't be able to sell double or triple hets, but you'll have to be priced lower... maybe a LOT lower.

Any "visual" morph is better than a "non-visual", for a beginner. If you're just starting out, try to stay away from producing the hets. Once you've been breeding for a few years and have sold a few litters. Then people will be more trusting if you produce double or triple hets.

You could go with a Motley, Arabesque, or Jungle. These are pretty reasonably priced for the beginner. There's more, but then you start getting into the "really" expensive ones. Really expensive boa... Not such a good idea for a beginner. It's better to learn the ropes on a less expensive Morph.

It's always best to start with the best quality animals you can afford. Just don't take out a loan or put yourself out buying it. Keep the price range realistic. Don't try to make this a "money making" scheme. Don't look at your boas as "investments". Look at breeding boas as, a Hobby. An enjoyable Hobby that may or may not make you some extra cash. Enjoy your animals, but don't put stress in them and yourself.... If they don't produce a nice litter that sells for "big bucks". BTW you may find by the time you produce a litter, the prices have dropped. Actually, they will have dropped and may even have dropped "considerably" from what you paid for you snakes. This happens, so don't let it stress you out.

The thing is, you have to breed what "YOU" like. You need to be willing to keep/house/feed/clean ect any babies that don't sell. You need to "LIKE" what you're doing.

If you're just trying to jump on the band wagon and go with what "might" be "IN"... That's just not the way to go. You're the one that has to take care of any that don't sell right away. You have to be able to market them properly... BTW If you're producing something you're really not in too... Well, it's makes it harder to do them justice when it comes time to marke them. Breeding boas is much more enjoyable if you're producing boas that your "REALLY" like.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Ross View Post
              I spoke with Jeff (the boaphile) yesterday and he does have some amazing DH pastel sunglows that are NOT on his site yet. You may want to give him a call. Here's an idea of what you could produce:
              Wow brotha thats nice. So what would the male be to produce this beauty? aslo thanks for your input.......

Comment

Wow brotha thats nice. So what would the male be to produce this beauty? aslo thanks for your input.......

Well, if your albino is a female...a male double het (DH) for Pastel sunglow.

Comment

Thank you LINDA, When i said "in" i didnt mean like I wanted to be a over night tycoon. Just what everyone likes as far as a breed that will look the best as far as color goes. Once again i am a hobbiest i love animals from dogs to salt water reefing. Everything i do is for the love of animals. I have no intent to be a breeder nor try to make mills off boas> jUst a hobbie as i love to keep animals and share my experiance with my son. Linda i do understand where you are coming from and your reply is greatly appreciated and not over looked. I love the morphs so why not make some of my own to keep and pass on.......

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Ross View Post
                    Well, if your albino is a female...a male double het (DH) for Pastel sunglow.
                    I see she is a female. So what would the split be? Being that the males is a het (dh) for pastel sunglow?

Comment

I see she is a female. So what would the split be? Being that the males is a het (dh) for pastel sunglow?
                      not sure on the percentages, but you would produce sunglows, albinos, hypos, hets, normals

Comment

I just have to say scotts avatar picture reminds me of something.
                        Zoolander lol I'm sorry it just came to me.
                        Attached Files

Comment

like scott and every one else said a DH Sunglow would be awesome you could produce a few really cool moprhs also look at a jungle het albino or an boa that is both het stripe and het albino i saw a few TH sunglow stripes for sale on kingsnake.com - the information portal for reptile and amphibian hobbyists. a while ago

Comment

If your female is a kahl albino kahl genetic stripe then breeding her to a dh pastel sunglow you should get this:

25% Double Het For Albino and Stripe

25% Albino, Het stripe

25% Triple Het (Visual Hypo, Het Albino, Het stripe)

25%
                            Albino, Het Hypo , Het stripe (visual sunglows, Het Stripe)

The Double Hets for striped albino will appear normal but will be het for both genes. The Triple hets will be visual hypos but het for striped albino. The Visual sunglows will be het form hypos and het for stripe so they will be sunglows het for stripe basically.

Comment

Originally posted by snake77 View Post
                              I just have to say scotts avatar picture reminds me of something.
                              Zoolander lol I'm sorry it just came to me.
                              I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.

Comment

Working...
                              X