Fetal dopplers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fetal dopplers

I noticed there are different probes for the fetal doppler. Going all the way up to 8 mhz. The 8 mhz being the most sensitive leads me to believe that I should hear the babies heart beats sooner than the 7-8 weeks I've seen posted. Can anyone verify this?

Re: Fetal dopplers

Originally posted by Treeserpent View Post
    I noticed there are different probes for the fetal doppler. Going all the way up to 8 mhz. The 8 mhz being the most sensitive leads me to believe that I should hear the babies heart beats sooner than the 7-8 weeks I've seen posted. Can anyone verify this?

The heartbeats are most commonly heard at 8 to 10 weeks. For those that aren't sure what to listen for you'll hear them closer to 10 weeks. For the more experienced/lucky, they'll hear them at 8 weeks. The earliest I've heard them is 6 weeks and 1 day. BTW these times are after the ovulation not the POS.

I use the 2/3 MHZ probe. I think it's more about experience and "total" cooperation from the female boa, as to "how soon" you'll hear them.

Here's what I found on the higher MHZ probes.

The 2 MHz probe has a deeper signal penetration and is best used to detect fetal heartbeats in larger women and later in pregnancy. It will consistently pick up the fetal heartbeat at 12 weeks, and is preferred for use during labor and delivery.

The 5 MHz vascular probe has a deeper penetration than the 8 MHz. It is most commonly used for post-surgical patients to help reveal deep vein thrombosis, to locate and monitor deep veins and arteries in legs and for ABI studies in larger patients.

The 8 MHz vascular probe has a shallower focus and is best used for monitoring peripheral vessels. It is most commonly used for ABI (ankle/brachial index) studies, finding pedal pulses, wound care and locating hard-to-find pulses in peripheral vessels of diabetic patients

Comment

I read the info on the vascular probes as well. It made them seem like they were more sensitive to the beat of the heart. However when stated that the 2 mhz probe can pick up a beat from farther in the womb through all the tissue it would have to be quite powerfull. Although having to wait that many weeks before the 2 mhz worked I would say its because the heart is much larger therefore much has a louder stronger beat. Seeing as how there isn't much tissue to go through on boas would my logic be sound that the higher frequency probe of 8mhz allow for the heart beat to be captured earlier than the 3 mhz?

Comment

Originally posted by Treeserpent View Post
        I read the info on the vascular probes as well. It made them seem like they were more sensitive to the beat of the heart. However when stated that the 2 mhz probe can pick up a beat from farther in the womb through all the tissue it would have to be quite powerfull. Although having to wait that many weeks before the 2 mhz worked I would say its because the heart is much larger therefore much has a louder stronger beat. Seeing as how there isn't much tissue to go through on boas would my logic be sound that the higher frequency probe of 8mhz allow for the heart beat to be captured earlier than the 3 mhz?
        I'm pretty happy with the 2 or 3 MHZ probes. So, I probably won't try a higher one.

My boas are pretty cooperative, so I can hear them early. I don't think that 8 weeks is a long time to wait. Like I said, my earliest time hearing them was 6 weeks/+1 day. That's a really short time to me. For all I know, I "might" have been able to hear them sooner. It's all about knowing what to listen for and the cooperation of the female. If your boas don't stay "absolutely" still, you won't be able to hear anything but static.

Also, it could be that their hearts need to be developed enough to "any" device to pick up an audible sound.

If you decide to try the higher MHZ probe, please come back and let us know how it works.

BTW How early were you "hoping" to hear heartbeats?

Comment

Honestly I haven't even researched boa fetal development yet to know just how early a heart is developed. It's just that today my female ebv left a stool in her cage so I removed her to clean. After I cleaned I was sitting with her on my bed and she wrapped around my hips. The part of her body that would hold the babies was right on top of my lap. All of a sudden I felt this hard protrusion. Now I have witnessed copulation with her this season and have already had a shed from her. My male being young is producing sperm. Now I fed her a rat last week. This protrusion was shaped like a head whether rat or baby I don't know. I'm thinking surely the rats head would have been digested in a weeks time. Surely the stool she deposited last night WAS the rat I fed her. The weird thing was I started trying to feel more around that head and I could feel more of the lump which reminded me of a tightly coiled snake. Maybe I'm just imagining things maybe not. I tried feeling around for more lumps and believe I felt one more before she moved on me. I would like to find some information on boa fetal size for a 1 month time frame. As far as buying the more expensive doppler to get an earlier reading I wasn't planning on experimenting with it unless I had gotten some good information stating it would be a viable thing to do. No since buying something that doesn't work only to have to spend more money to get what will work.

Comment

Working...
          X