Courtship and copulation questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courtship and copulation questions!

Hi all, for the past week or so my RTB pair have been courting.

The male is always trying to get his tail under the females, i havent seen their tails locked its always him trying to get under.

His always following her and his head is always on her back.

There is no fighting etc either.

My question is, how long will this courtship last, and when will they decide to copulate? Are thre any tips on stimulating the female to lift her tail? Or does courtship last a while and finally she will be receptive?

They are courting every single day, whenever i look into the enclosure no matter what time of the day, theyre courting.

Re: Courtship and copulation questions!

It could take a few days to months of courting. I would say the average is about 4 to 6 weeks. Sometimes the male will court but the female will not be receptive. You just have to let them do there thing. There is really nothig that will stimulate her other than him.

Comment

Ok, yeah i have seen it happen almost every day every time i look in there thats whats going on, i filled up water in their bowl not long ago, the male is on his shelf under the lamp.

One question, would you say 9 times out of 10 that if theyre courting they will copulate? Is that a sign that they are both keen since her tail is in line?

Also with feeding do i disturb them to offer them a meal?

This is the first time i have seen them apart lol..

So i guess i just keep watch and see what happens?

When do i remove him?

Comment

Originally posted by kurupt09 View Post
        Ok, yeah i have seen it happen almost every day every time i look in there thats whats going on, i filled up water in their bowl not long ago, the male is on his shelf under the lamp.

One question, would you say 9 times out of 10 that if theyre courting they will copulate? Is that a sign that they are both keen since her tail is in line?

Also with feeding do i disturb them to offer them a meal?

This is the first time i have seen them apart lol..

So i guess i just keep watch and see what happens?

When do i remove him?
        Some females my be courted and not be receptive. There is alot that comes in to play with the female good body weight,age, and temps. I have not fed any of my boas while they are breeding. Some breeders do.. I always removed the male after the female has had the big one ovulation!!!!! this is a sign that the male has complete his mission.
        2nd Alarm Reptiles
        Pastels "R" Us
        http://2ndalarmreptiles.com

Viiper (Virginians Interested In Protecting Every Reptile)

Comment

I'm sorta in the same boat lol iv had my male in with my female for over 3 month and there still courting the last time she shed was the day after i put him in so I'm still waiting on her poss shed to start to count the days

Comment

Yeah, theyve been together maybe 1 week and a half.

So basically its luck if they copulate?

I turned their basking lamp on and the male basked on the shelf, but today i left it off and their tails are aligned once again, but not entwined.

So all this tail lining, male trying to get under, etc etc is all courtship?

Im hoping she is receptive, does that mean they are never going to be compatible if she doesnt accept this time?

Or is it more a hit and miss situation?

Comment

Originally posted by kurupt09 View Post
              Yeah, theyve been together maybe 1 week and a half.

So basically its luck if they copulate?

I turned their basking lamp on and the male basked on the shelf, but today i left it off and their tails are aligned once again, but not entwined.

So all this tail lining, male trying to get under, etc etc is all courtship?

Im hoping she is receptive, does that mean they are never going to be compatible if she doesnt accept this time?

Or is it more a hit and miss situation?
              What the temps in your cage? I notice that you had the basking light off.
              2nd Alarm Reptiles
              Pastels "R" Us
              http://2ndalarmreptiles.com

Viiper (Virginians Interested In Protecting Every Reptile)

Comment

Temps without basking light on right now are 85.1F, and with basking light it only bumps up to 91F, thats only on a shelf as well where the basking light hits.

Its usually the same, and a cooler end which they use sometimes on hotter days.

Comment

Anymore help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comment

I'll throw you some help. Last year my female and male courted just like yours and she kept running from him. There tails won't necessarily enter twine like you say He may get his under hers or he may put it beside her. They don't always wrap around. Are you dropping the temps at night? This helps alot I would let it fall farther than 85 though. I would let it drop down to about 70 at night and back up to 90 during the day. This should help get it going. I never could find much info on temp cycling and breeding. I bought the book The Reproductive Husbandy of Boas and Pythons had really good info. I used the methods this year and had copulation and pretty sure she is gravid also.

If she turns out to be for sure I'll post my info. You are getting late in the season now cycle the temps and you may get action still this season.

Comment

So i should drop my temps and it should increase the chance of actual copulation instead of courtship?

Hes at it again now, hes in the middle of shedding and still at it!

Nothing new though, their tails are only lined up, and hes courting her.

So dropping temps and misting may help get it started?

Comment

It worked for me. Is it gauranteed I don't know. I do know I tried the boaphile method of the constant temps and it didnt' work. I also bought all about boas dvd and Rich Ihle on there drops his temps also. Try letting it fall to about 70 at night and up to 90 under the hot spot during the day Just let the hotspot get up to 90 don't worry about what the ambient gets too. Then kill the heat at night. Should stimulate the breeding.

Comment

Hes still trying to line his tail up, its probably been a month nearly, i havent actually seen his tail under hers yet..or hers up either.

He shed 3 days ago, but was back at it again lol..i may spray them a little and see how low i can get my temps, theyre always lying together and are never apart, sometimes male will rest his head on her head.

Comment

Hi all, the male and female LOOKED as if they were actually copulating, i couldnt see properly, it was dark & the newspaper was covering most of their tails.

The only thing that lead me to this assumption is that i saw the underside of BOTH tails..

Anyone else got ideas of what i saw?

Comment

FYI Boas don't lock up like pythons do. If there tails are side by side your headed in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X