Noob Question...What to breed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Question...What to breed.

Well, I found this site a few days ago and became VERY interested in Boas, again. I've read the Ultimate Care Guide, I read pretty much the Whole thing.I've owned quite a few Pythons,Boas before (Love the Boas More) so im am pretty familliar with them, but, I am a "Noob" at the Genetics/Breeding/Morphs Thing, I HAVE BEEN DOING ALOT OF STUDYING THOUGH. I love this site.

My Question:

I'm wanting to breed Boas for my first time. I was just wanting some Opinions of a "Decent" 1st Timer Pair, I was/am interested in a Het Albino X Het Albino...From what I've learned (correct me if im wrong) im looking at 25% Albino, 25% Het, and 50% Normals.....I dont want to spend much, just yet...Just want to see how much I like it.

I only plan on getting 2 Boas, a Male and a Female, ofcourse..Maybe another female or 2, if I enjoy the outcome.

I'm open to other, (not to Expensive "Morphs)..My goal is to maybe become a small time breeder, while enojying these awsome creatures.

Also, what are the going prices about for Normal/Het/Albinos..

Any opinions, comments, suggestions?....I need whatever info, Help, Knowledge, Ideas I can get.

Thank you.
    -Wildman-

Sorry for writing so much, lol....I've been Glued to this site for the last Week....

Re: Noob Question...What to breed.

Get a salmon dh het for sunglow, breed it to an albino. Result salmon dh sunglow x albino = 25% sunglow 25% albino and 50% salmon. Thats what I have planned in the next little while.

Comment

Yeah, but a Salmon dh Sunglow runs about $300+. $325 for a 08' Double Het Sunglow Female on Kingsnake.com.

I want to stay in the $150-$250 range, per Boa....but be able to get rid of the babys pretty easily..I wouldnt ask for much...Just enough to maybe buy another Female..

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildman09 View Post
        Yeah, but a Salmon dh Sunglow runs about $300+. $325 for a 08' Double Het Sunglow Female on Kingsnake.com.

I want to stay in the $150-$250 range, per Boa....but be able to get rid of the babys pretty easily..I wouldnt ask for much...Just enough to maybe buy another Female..

Thanks.
        you dont need a salmon you can get a "normal" with is just a hypo het albino aka DH sunglow they run pretty cheap salmon is just a hypo bloodline

Comment

Kinda lost me..lol...Hypo, thats just "Less of coloring,like black the Blacks and Browns then a Normal boa"?.I just started researching the Hypo Line..I understand Het....I'm still learning this Genetic stuff..lol...

I see what u mean though...So a DH sunglow x Albino would be a better, more "wanted" morph?...what could I "expect" to sell the babys for?....Like babys from 2 Het Parents..and the babys from the DH sunglow x Albino?

Thanks for the ideas...

Comment

First off welcome to the forum! I will start out by saying I wouldn't get into boas looking to make a buck, especially with the way things are going in congress right now. You may not be able to sell any boas in the future if the government has their way and an investment like that purely with the intention of making a profit would be a poor one. Also, most of us can testify that our collections have cost us far more than we could expect to make off a couple breedings. Now if you are just wanting to get a pair for pets and possibly produce something later that you will like then I say go with what you really want. You can get a female now and a male next year if you wish since the male will be ready to breed at a younger age then the female and that way you can budget a bit more. Going with a dh sunglow is not a bad idea especially since you are getting a hypo which is codominant and you will have a visual morph in your collection rather than just a het that looks normal. It would be hard for anyone to speculate on the prices of boas 2-3 years from now, which is probably about how long it will take you to get a good breeding out of a pair of boas even if you get an 08 female. Anyways, welcome again and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Oh, the boa in my avatar is a hypo! They have less black pigment but usually make up for it by letting the reds and oranges show through!

Comment

Well, I found this site a few days ago and became VERY interested in Boas, again. I've read the Ultimate Care Guide, I read pretty much the Whole thing.I've owned quite a few Pythons,Boas before (Love the Boas More) so im am pretty familliar with them, but, I am a "Noob" at the Genetics/Breeding/Morphs Thing, I HAVE BEEN DOING ALOT OF STUDYING THOUGH. I love this site.

My Question:

I'm wanting to breed Boas for my first time. I was just wanting some Opinions of a "Decent" 1st Timer Pair, I was/am interested in a Het Albino X Het Albino...From what I've learned (correct me if im wrong) im looking at 25% Albino, 25% Het, and 50% Normals.....I dont want to spend much, just yet...Just want to see how much I like it.

I only plan on getting 2 Boas, a Male and a Female, ofcourse..Maybe another female or 2, if I enjoy the outcome.

I'm open to other, (not to Expensive "Morphs)..My goal is to maybe become a small time breeder, while enojying these awsome creatures.

Any opinions, comments, suggestions?....I need whatever info, Help, Knowledge, Ideas I can get.

Thank you.
              -Wildman-

Sorry for writing so much, lol....I've been Glued to this site for the last Week....

welcome wildman,

IMO, terrible idea. Your not ready and a litter from that pairing will be very hard to move. they're just to many out there. I suggest you get a baby boa(s), raise it and learn how to take care of a boa(s). another thing, if ya cant afford appropriate housing for your boas, dont bother getting in to this hobby. Re-visit the Care guide and get your husbandry tight. I really do hope you get a boa(s)! I just see too many people jumping into this hobby UNprepared. If you need on help finding a boa, feel free to PM me. Knowing who your dealing with is very important, and i know a few guys with affordable quality boas!

Comment

If you want to be a Boa breeder then I would concentrate ALL my efforts on this first....

http://www.redtailboas.com/forum/ind...ur-future.html

http://www.redtailboas.com/forum/ind...ur-rights.html

Comment

Originally posted by MSwift View Post
                  you dont need a salmon you can get a "normal" with is just a hypo het albino aka DH sunglow they run pretty cheap salmon is just a hypo bloodline
                  But then a huge percent of your litter are normals, salmons are worth 4 times a normal, and if you get a lipstick or a motley then your laughing. But the lipsticks are a little more money and motleys too.

Comment

I agree with all of the comments.

1st. I have done My Part of S373, I have done All the steps to do what I can...The only thing Different I could see me doing is if I were tied in with the Govt...I'd Burn whatever papers I could to stop this from going any further...But I cant.

Scott Ross, I partialy agree with you, BUT, I think I am or Will be ready to Breed very soon. I'm Not looking to make this a "Get Rich Quick" scheme...LOL...I just want to enjoy these awsome animals and maybe keep a few from the litter..I would in No way try to "Get Rich", especially with just One breeding, I would make sure I have More then enough Housing available for the Two Adluts and the babys. Also, I wouldnt even consider breeding untill I had the Whole aspect of Breeding Boas planned and Ready. I have owned Quite a few snakes. I am very Experienced (Atleast I think I am). I am only InExperienced in the whole Genetics/Breeding/Moprhs area.

I feel Very comfortable and Confident I would do Everything the Right way to be a Great Dad..lol...I am already actually...But seriously I very much appreciate your opinion, I will make very sure that I have every aspect of breeding taken care of.

Plus, I have this WONDERFULL Site to turn to when I need Info or Help.

Thank you Everyone for your thoughts and opinions. I am going to take them All into consideration, I am Not going to be like a few may think I'd be and try to do this "Half-*****"...I Love thses animals Way to much to even Think of putting them in any kind of Harm or in a Stressfull situation.

On another note, I think I want to go with a Hypo 100% Het Albino. Which IS a dh sunglow right?...and get an Albino or a dh snow, or just another dh sunglow...
                    Last edited by dangles; 01-19-2010, 03:11 PM. Reason: word removed

Comment

My bro welcome aboard. I understand you want to keep a pair of boas and attempt a breeding as a hobby and that's great. Your enthusiasm towards the hobby shows how much you enjoy snakes like all of us here. i hope that you are able to obtain a nice viable pair of boas and that you may be successful reaching your goal. Now, I do encourage you to take into account some of the comments of the more experienced members that have been around the hobby for numerous years and are constantly dealing with and definitely know the "ins & outs" of the hobby/industry. They are saying it for your own good. Take for instance the financial aspect of obtaining and keeping a pair of boas. You say you want to stay in a lower end range $150 average per animal I assume. Then you ask how much can you move the babies for? Think for a moment what morph can $150 get you? look in Kingsnake.com yourself and you will see that you might get hets for that price and babies. You will rarely find breeding size hets for that much especially a female animal. On top of that when you do produce babies how much will you move them for, look at how many baby boas are listed right now on KS and how many people are spending any money on snakes? The economy is down and like another member said before the way things are going with the government it looks like the reptile pet industry is going to take another brutal hit in the near future. Here in Florida where i live huge pythons are popping up everywhere and people are freaking out...I used to take my animals outside wrapped around my wrist and people would approach me and say how cool can I hold it? Now I can't even do that anymore people are like...OMG!! that snake is going to kill one of your kids one day OMG you're crazy!! You get what I mean? it will be very hard to sell those babies and normals and even hets close to impossible. Keep a pair of boas as your pets and for your enjoyment. Think long and hard about breeding animals that you don't know where they will end up you might have to end up giving them away...this is my own point of view of course.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with what u mean, I think im going to go with an Albino x Salmon pair...I really like the Sunglows looks...plus they are around 500-1k+....

I'm not looking to make anything off the babys, if I do even breed. I wouldnt even ask for much..maybe Half of what they're going for at the time. I plan on keeping a few though.

Comment

Originally posted by shogun678 View Post
                          But then a huge percent of your litter are normals, salmons are worth 4 times a normal, and if you get a lipstick or a motley then your laughing. But the lipsticks are a little more money and motleys too.
                          i no bro i meant like a "normal" hypo lol i was saying he didnt need a salmon or an orange tail blood line or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by shogun678 View Post

What do you mean by that?...That I'll be Happy?...LOL....

Comment

good start! that's a rarity among many "n00bs" here, so well done!

My goal is to maybe become a small time breeder, while enojying these awsome creatures.
                              if that's your goal, i'd definitely recommend saving your money and making an investment purchase. it doesn't have to be anything extravagant, but it will be MORE than worth it in the long run to spend the money to get some nice, quality animals to start out with. the babies will be easier to sell, and you'll get better prices for them.

normals run anywhere from $40-200 depending on where you get them. at a show or on kingsnake.com they're closer to the bottom of that range. at a local pet shop they're closer to the top of that range. as a first-time breeder, you can probably expect to sell them closer to the bottom of that range.

het albinos are right around 100 or less on kingsnake or at a show.

albinos range anywhere from 200-1000 depending on the breeder and quality. most are around 300, but there are ALOT of low quality albinos out there. you can PROBABLY expect to sell them (right now) near the bottom of that range due to the market and the fact that your name as a breeder is not established. the market sucks right now, mostly because of the economy. but also, morphs like albinos, sunglows, ghosts, hypos (or salmons) and anerys are FLOODING the market right now - especially albinos and hypos/salmons, so over the next few years, their prices will drop a decent amount from current values. same goes for sunglows.

the truly stand-out animals that are the product of very selective breeding will still command a good price 3 or so years from now, but the "average" and below average animals will likely be even less than they are now.

all that means they will LIKELY be pretty hard to get rid of. if your mama shoots out 30 or 40 babies, that's a LOT of mouths to feed and a lot of animals to house. many of them may never be sold - at least that's what you should plan for. but you sound like you've already taken that into account...

all that to say, your future self will thank your present self for waiting a bit longer to save for a nice, quality breeding pair. you don't even have to buy them both at the same time. buy the female first, then wait a year or so to save for a male, since they are ready to breed sooner than females. because i guarantee you that you'll get addicted, and the better your first pair is, the sooner you'll be on your way to MAYBE pocketing some of the cash you MAY make

Comment

Working...
                              X