No announcement yet.

How Long have You been Breeding Boas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long have You been Breeding Boas??

I'm just curious. I'm hoping to be breeding by the end of this year. and YES, I have been doing ALL the proper research and will be More then ready to breed by the end of this year.

Who here has only been in the Breeding "game" for a little bit?..Less then 2-3 years. How do you like it? What was your 1st pairing?

I'm just bored, trying to pass the time before I have to take a Test...

Thank everyone.

Re: How Long have You been Breeding Boas??

You said before that you don't have any boas didn't you?? How will you be ready to breed this year?

Comment

Originally posted by shogun678 View Post
      You said before that you don't have any boas didn't you?? How will you be ready to breed this year?

I don't have any yet......but isn't "breeding Time" around September?....Males go in around October right?....Its still Earily isn't it?...

I think I might have mess up and ment Next year...LOL...I want to have a pair and START breeding the END of this year....LOL....Sound better?

I've read the Ultimate Care Guide. Still go back to it if I have a Question about anything...

Im still kinda new so be easy on me..

Comment

Originally posted by Wildman09 View Post
        I don't have any yet......but isn't "breeding Time" around September?....Males go in around October right?....Its still Earily isn't it?...

I think I might have mess up and ment Next year...LOL...I want to have a pair and START breeding the END of this year....LOL....Sound better?

I've read the Ultimate Care Guide. Still go back to it if I have a Question about anything...

Im still kinda new so be easy on me..
        A female boa takes three years to reach breeding size, sometimes longer.

Comment

no matter how ready you think you are, you really are not. I do breed them myself, my first litter wow i wasnt ready for at all. and all the one since. always something that you wernt ready for.
          but good luck next season

Comment

Wow this was an enlightening thread, you made my day with this one.

Comment

iv kept boas for just under 5 year and last year was my first year of breeding and iv got a pair in just now so hoping i get a nice clutch this year

Comment

Kept boas for 6 years and attempted to breed for 3 years.
                Was not till last year I finally figured thing out to some degree and had a successful litter.

I find it silly that people think it is as simple as popping two snakes together.
                Sometimes complications arise, males overbreed and die, females can die anytime during the process, sometimes a pair is just not compatible so you need backups, a litter of slugs is hard on the female too.

Even if you do the homework and wait to do things at the proper stages in the boas life. Perfect cooling and re-heating, witness copulation you and your animal are not out of the water, sooo many more factors than a simple colubrid breeding.

Comment

Originally posted by mack1time View Post
                  Kept boas for 6 years and attempted to breed for 3 years.
                  Was not till last year I finally figured thing out to some degree and had a successful litter.

I find it silly that people think it is as simple as popping two snakes together.
                  Sometimes complications arise, males overbreed and die, females can die anytime during the process, sometimes a pair is just not compatible so you need backups, a litter of slugs is hard on the female too.

Even if you do the homework and wait to do things at the proper stages in the boas life. Perfect cooling and re-heating, witness copulation you and your animal are not out of the water, sooo many more factors than a simple colubrid breeding.
                  well said Mitch

Comment

I have bred boas, and it was as simple as putting them together. No cooling or any extra attention. I sold the babies and made lots of profit. Did I get lucky? Yes, but it can be that simple. Every body acts like its rocket science, but it isn't. Some are just luckier than others. Complications can happen no matter what you do. You just have to cross your fingers and do what you can.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

Yeah, I'm Not planning to Breed every chance I get. I just want to get one litter and thats it. Maybe a few years down the road I might be interested in breeding more often, if all goes well this first time. But I just wanted a little "Breeders Insight", I know you can't account for the unexpected, thats why it's call "Un-Expected"..lol...but I have always had a Passion for Boas, I got my 1st "RTB" when I was 7-8 years old. I've had them, Burms, Rock Pythons, Balls, and a few other Boas/pythons in my life since then (minus a year or two). I never had interest in Learning the different Morphs/Genetics/Breeding side till recently (when I found this GREAT SITE). I just "Re-Homed" my 8ft Albino Burm about 4-5 months ago. I didn't want to but the ol' lady said the Snake or Me...LOL....If I could turn back time....hahahaha...

I talk to much..lol...Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Markos View Post
                        iv kept boas for just under 5 year and last year was my first year of breeding and iv got a pair in just now so hoping i get a nice clutch this year

Good Luck man, hope all goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by shogun678 View Post
                          I have bred boas, and it was as simple as putting them together. No cooling or any extra attention. I sold the babies and made lots of profit. Did I get lucky? Yes, but it can be that simple. Every body acts like its rocket science, but it isn't. Some are just luckier than others. Complications can happen no matter what you do. You just have to cross your fingers and do what you can.
                          No it's not that's simple,you just had plain dumb luck is all.
                          I think I need to take a hiatus fro RTB for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Atrayu View Post
                            No it's not that's simple,you just had plain dumb luck is all.
                            I think I need to take a hiatus fro RTB for awhile.
                            I said it was lucky. And whats not simple about it??? If you do everything according to experts its still pretty easy. Either your snakes mate or they don't.

Comment

1) I obtained my female Boa, Big Momma in about March of 1985.
                              2) I obtained my male Boa, Big Daddy in about June of 1885.
                              3) They are housed in the only cage I had. a 8' long, 4' wide 2' tall cage.
                              4) Courtship and breeding right away.
                              5) Babies on February 17, 1986 at approximately 9:00 PM.

This picture is of me and those two Boas taken around June or July of 1985.

I heated the room to 80 degrees with a space heater. The exact same kind of heater I heat my baby room with today. Although I now use a series of three thermostats. The top of the cage was 2- 4' x 4' doors with 3' x 3' holes cut out of the center where I stapled on 1/2" Hardware cloth. The cage had a 6" high false bottom with a light bulb laid on it's side on a piece of tinfoil covered plywood. The 60 Watt bulb made a nice hot spot. It's a miracle I didn't start a fire! I use a slightly more sophisticated set up today but basically the same fundamentally. Babies every year since then. Assuming I am fortunate enough to have babies this season, this will be the 26th year in a row. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And the rest is history.

theboaphile.com
                              boaphileplastics.com

Comment

Working...
                              X