X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndhuffaker
    Snake Keeper
    • Apr 2008

Problem with Buyer. Please Help!

I wasn't sure where to post this. If this is not appropriate please move.

I am having a problem with someone who bought quite a few of my babies.

He bought 10 snakes total.

2 Albinos
    4 Het Albinos
    4 DH sunglows

One DH was deformed, which he said would be a pet, I told him I was suprised it was still alive, and that I didn't know how long it would last.

His total price was dirt cheap.

He texted me a couple hours after he left our house and asked if he picked up all ten, because he was missing a DH, I was not home so my wife combed the house and looked for one of their containers, then she counted ours, and we did not have any extra. He never got back to me about what happened with that, I told him to look in his car that he picked them up in. He also put multiple in one tupperware.
    Anyway, as I said he never got back to me about it.

Then 6 days after the purchase, he asked me I was sure they all ate because one of the DH wouldn't eat, and that he tried to feed it and then found it dead a few hours later.

I asked him a few questions about his environment. I kept their rack at 90, which provided a gradient since my racks heat front to back. He stated that they were in a room which was heated to 82.
    I asked him about feeding and he stated that he fed F/T fuzzy just like I told him to, and that all the others ate fine, and he also found the deformed one dead.
    Then he was unclear about whether he tried live with the DH after it wouldn't eat, he wants to text rather than talk, and honestly after some of the text he sent it was probably best, because I wasn't in the best temperment at the moment.
    So he lost one DH and the deformed DH.
    I mentioned about the way he was keeping them, and that I checked ours and none of my snakes have died since a couple days after birth, including ones that have gone to other people.
    I slept and thought on it over night. I decided, you know what, I am going to replace the DH that passed, but not the deformed since he knew that I didn't expect it to live and I gave it to him for free.

I texted him this morning, and asked him if those were the only problems he was having with any of the snakes. He said yes, that the others were all fine and they were eating well.
    I asked if he still had the body since it was less than 24 hours later. He said he got rid of it since it was dead. So I asked if he took pics, and he said he didn't take any pics because he didn't think he needed too.

Now I have never run into this problem, and I have always thought it was known that if you want a replacement snake because one died, you need to hold on to the body. I mean how do I know he didn't just lie and say that it died?

I would love all of your input.

Thanks,
    Nathan
  • SWOMPDONKEY
    Banned
    • Dec 2009

Re: Problem with Buyer. Please Help!

Well you can hope hes tellin the truth (there are still some honest people in this world) and just replace it and keep a happy customer. I thinks it weird he said he lost one before, but now it died. His temps probably arent right and it could be his own fault it died. IDK.

Comment

• ndhuffaker
      Snake Keeper
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by SWOMPDONKEY
      Well you can hope hes tellin the truth (there are still some honest people in this world) and just replace it and keep a happy customer. I thinks it weird he said he lost one before, but now it died. His temps probably arent right and it could be his own fault it died. IDK.
      I just asked him about the body and if he could get it since it just happened yesterday, but he is saying that he isn't digging through the trash for it. I always that it was known that you keep a snkae that died to show the seller if you want a new one.

Comment

• monkeywrench133
        ColdBlooded!
        • Sep 2005

I would say that you don't owe the guy anything.

Couple points though:

Do you have a WRITTEN agreement with this person?

Do you have a WRITTEN health guarantee?

If you're going to get in the business of breeding, you need to have policies in place, in writing, to deal with these situations.

Most reputable breeders WILL give a conditional health guarantee for 7-10 days. However, one of the standard conditions is that either the body of the dead animal is returned, OR a necropsy report is provided.

If this guy has no body, no report, no pics, and won't go get it out of the garbage to even snap a couple, the I'd call BS, and say you lived up to your end of the bargain.
        "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

• SWOMPDONKEY
          Banned
          • Dec 2009

I wouldn't want to dig through the trash for a dead snake either...I wouldve actually burry it but thats besides the point. I guess if he wanted it repleced that bad he would do it. I know when I had an issue with a boa that had something wrong with it I took pics. Even tho I didnt keep the body I still had proof and a Vet. to back me up.

Comment

• ndhuffaker
            Snake Keeper
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by monkeywrench133
            I would say that you don't owe the guy anything.

Couple points though:

Do you have a WRITTEN agreement with this person?

Do you have a WRITTEN health guarantee?

If you're going to get in the business of breeding, you need to have policies in place, in writing, to deal with these situations.

Most reputable breeders WILL give a conditional health guarantee for 7-10 days. However, one of the standard conditions is that either the body of the dead animal is returned, OR a necropsy report is provided.

If this guy has no body, no report, no pics, and won't go get it out of the garbage to even snap a couple, the I'd call BS, and say you lived up to your end of the bargain.
            Good point, I do need to develop a written health guarantee. My problem is that I know if I wanted a new snake, I would dig to the bottom of the trash. I just find it strange that he sells boas, but didn't know that you should keep the dead body...
            I am considering replacing this one and then developing a written guarantee.
            I just don't want someone going around bad mouthing me.

Comment

• Reyes81487
              Snake Master
              • Dec 2009

well if you want a snake replaced the least you can do is provide proof. unless your provided a health guarantee and know it could be your fault you dont owe him squat maybe offer a replacement at a discounted price.

Comment

• hornedfrog1985
                Snake Keeper
                • Apr 2010

I wouldn't want to dig through the trash for a dead snake, but if that's all it took to resolve this I would do it in a minute.

Comment

• Boa Amarali
                  RTB Staff / Global Moderator
                  • Aug 2003

I wouldn't want to dig through the trash for a dead snake either...I wouldve actually burry it but thats besides the point. I guess if he wanted it repleced that bad he would do it. I know when I had an issue with a boa that had something wrong with it I took pics. Even tho I didnt keep the body I still had proof and a Vet. to back me up.

Well if you/he really want a free Boa you dig through garbage.

Obviously the Boa isn't worth much to him or he would dig
                  through the garbage and provide a body or pictures of it

I say this guy came to the house unequipped , lost a Boa from the get go,
                  and now wants somebody else to replace his mistake

Even if the Boa died sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing

The only question I have is how old are these boas ?

What I say here is just my opinion

If they are less than 8 weeks old , I personally would not let Boas go that early

After 8 successful meals then its acceptable in my book to let them go

Lar M
                  Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

• monkeywrench133
                    ColdBlooded!
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ndhuffaker
                    My problem is that I know if I wanted a new snake, I would dig to the bottom of the trash. I just find it strange that he sells boas, but didn't know that you should keep the dead body...
                    Yeah. If I bought animals from someone, and one died, it sure wouldn't go in the garbage. Not without pics. Not without contacting the seller first to see how they wanted to deal with it. And if he sells boas, he should know that.
                    "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

• SWOMPDONKEY
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Boa Amarali

What I say here is just my opinion

If they are less than 8 weeks old , I personally would not let Boas go that early

After 8 successful meals then its acceptable in my book to let them go
                      This is a great point also.

Comment

• ndhuffaker
                        Snake Keeper
                        • Apr 2008

This is a great point also.
                        They were born Feb. 25th. They have all eaten atleast 7 times.

Comment

• b3napoleon
                          Go Blue!
                          • Dec 2002

Personally I think its his fault. If he wants a replacement I would ask for proof that the first one is actually dead.
                          http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

• HopingForBabies
                            Snake Guru
                            • Sep 2006

Seeing how it isn't a super expensive snake,I would just give him a new one and be done with it. The amount of damage he can do by slandering your name will cost you more than what you sold the DH for. We sell cars were I work,sometimes you just have to give the people thier money back to get rid of a headache!

Comment

• monkeywrench133
                              ColdBlooded!
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by HopingForBabies
                              Seeing how it isn't a super expensive snake,I would just give him a new one and be done with it. The amount of damage he can do by slandering your name will cost you more than what you sold the DH for. We sell cars were I work,sometimes you just have to give the people thier money back to get rid of a headache!

Nah, If he starts throwing mud, start a bad guy thread about him on the BOI, and since you've got his text messages to back up your story, he'll end up looking like the chump.

Comment

Working...