X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a new bci !

Hello,
    I'm looking to get a pair of bci and maybe try to breed them down the line. Should I start with a Female and Raise her myself ? or just find a big girl...
    And what is the chance of albino prices droping in the next 3 years.
    And last of all will sex (F) add to the price albinos.
    Thank you for your time.
    adam

Re: looking for a new bci !

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I always suggest to people who want to get into breeding or just looking for a pet, get them young and raise them to know you. Getting an older boa may be fine, but if you are not very farmilar with boas, getting a 7 foot female may be abit intimidating for you. And with getting adults, you never really know if you getting someone elses headaches..

I would start with one female and see how you like them. They really are alot of work and the proper setup a 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot high cage plus all the heat etc can add up real fast.

I hope Albino's don't drop much. I plan to get into them with in the next 6 months.. And yes a female can cost more then a male..

Hope that helped..

Best Regards
    Steve

Comment

Re: looking for a new bci !

I wouldnt bet on the price of albinos reducing because only a handful of breeders can produce them on a regular baises.
      I would suggest that you get a female first they are usually better looking snakes anyways

Comment

Re:looking for a new bci !

Devildog,
        I would also suggest getting a young female. Because then you can get a verey good idea of what careing for a snake is all about.

Cpl. Hanson
        USMC 29PALMS

Comment

I'd have to agree with everything I read here, but here is a caution. Morph's of every kind of BCI are gradually increasing in IBD deaths, and the albino poulations seem to be getting the hardest hit. That's a huge investment, because they are so high dollar. So, just be careful about who you buy from, and be very wary of mites.

Comment

I didn't want to create a new thread because the title is basically my question. Where to find a BCI? I search reptile shops and I just find BCCs. Most everywhere online offers solely BCCs, or they confuse the two and just claim either are "Red Tail Boas." Any suggestions, sites, referrals? I live in Central Florida. I'd apprecate the help.

Also, I'm not looking for morphs. Just the simple, nice BCI.

Comment

really most petstore or reptile shops only have bci hmmm they may not know exactly what they have i bought a snake from a pet store was told it was one thing and turned out the be another. it happens sometimes

Comment

Hello ShakiraFuego,

Welcome to the forums...

First, my guess it that most pet stores have no clue how to tell BCC from BCI.. I find them lost on most reptile subjects..

As far as where to find one. I have one for sale in the for sale section of this site, Clay has a bunch for sale.. There out there, just gotta look.. BCC in reality are harder to find then BCI's..

Good Luck
                Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve, thanks redtailedmel.

The thing is, I don't shop in regular pet stores. If there's a specialty reptile shop around here, I'm there. But when the one I frequent had a new clutch of Colombians, I inquired about them. "Are they BCC or BCI?" The owners looked at me like I had mouth rot or something. So, I elaborated. "Boa Constrictor Constrictor, or Boa Constrictor Imperator?" "Uh, Constrictor." "Um, thanks."

Comment

lmao they probably didnt know either then lmao too funny sounds like they had to think about it too hard

Comment

Hey ShakiraFuego,

If you live in Central Florida there are several breeders within driving distance. You can find them on kingsnake.com , or as Steve suggested try Clay or the For Sale section. I believe that Steve has one up for sale. Either way, you will have better luck than using a pet store.

Good Luck,
                      Denny

Comment

Hey ShakiraFuego,

If you live in Central Florida there are several breeders within driving distance. You can find them on kingsnake.com , or as Steve suggested try Clay or the For Sale section. I believe that Steve has one up for sale. Either way, you will have better luck than using a pet store.

Good Luck,
                        Denny

Comment

Well without attempting to toot my own horn, or any other on-line breeder, I think the only way to know for sure what you are buying is to buy direct from a breeder that has a good reputation.

Also I seem to cover this topic every once in a while, but I will mention it here as well.

There is NOT a redtail boa classification. There is NOT a species named red tail boa. What there is remains to be a general trade name that covers Boa constrictor Imperator and Boa Constrictor Constrictor. So the pet trade is only repeating things they have heard and tend to apply that term to anything with the word boa attached to it. Also the general consensus is that True red tails are the BCC's, because they tend to show more of the real red tail trait. Again that is only a trade name.
                          To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                          -Clay English
                          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Buy from Clay!!!

Then you know for sure you have a great, healthy snake that is mite free and IBD free!! ;D

Have a nice day...

Comment

Working...
                            X