This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby boas just born what do I do?

My snake just popped out about 30 babies. I've pulled out mom ( after about 5 hours) and Ive started removing the thinned out sacks from the babies and the cage. Some are very active while others are still very slow moving or only responding to touch (with a tong not my hand) I know I need to fee mom right away and I am going to get the babies to a feed store as soon as they are open. They have a small water bucket that some are exploring. Is there anything else I need to do? This was all a surprise to me at midnight last night.

Re: Baby boas just born what do I do?

Hi Princess,

Wish I had more time to answer this, but I am on my way out so I have to make this short. You did right by taking the mom out. What I do it take the babies out next, but them in a heated tank and clean the birth tank out with 5% bleach mix. Clean ever nook and cranny. Don't want mom to smell the birth fluid at all or she may be a bit nippy. After cleaning the birth tank out, air it out for an hour or two. While it is airing I normally offer mom a nice meal to make up for lost meals. After the tank is aired, put mom back. I normally leave mom alone for 48 hours to rest and settle back in. At this point the babies don't need anything but a shallow water dish with water, a hide that will fit all the babies if they want and warm temps. Some try to feed the babies the second day, some wait till their first shed. My setup may be different from some, but I would seperate the babies on the next day after birth. I put them in plastic shoe boxes and stack them in a heated rack. If the litter was more then my boxes, i may double them, just double the ones that look different. I also keep a 4x6 card on each box and track all info from sheds to feed, etc.. If you can, try not to place the babies until atleast one shed and two feeds.

Congrats and great luck with them.
    Steve Clark

Comment

hey steve i lost your e mail do you still have the baby? and hows she doin is she recovered?

Comment

Hi Trevor,

My email is [email protected]
        Phone 845.482.7272

Yeah still have that baby. He is doing great, eating like a pig. We had him out yesterday and he is exploring everything he can..) I got real lucky. Everything with all of them cleaned up super.

Steve Clark

Comment

congrats on the babies.
          Also welcome to the fourm. I am sure that if
          you have any more questions that you will find
          the answer here. Good luck

Tat

Comment

Hi
            what do you mean by "small bucket"?

If they decide to soak in it.....they can get out can't they?

Comment

So how are those babies of yours comeing along? Any pictures yet?

Tat

Comment

Working...
              X