This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding

What is the gestation period of pregnant red tails?
    How do I know if they successfully bred and if so, should I remove the Male??

Re: Breeding

It`s about 5-8 months.If you have the possibility to remove the male do so,but if not he can be there untill the female gives birth.It`s really not good to have the male around at birth.The mom might get mad at him cause theyget really overprotective(the moms)and for second he mighht crush some of the babies it`s not common but just imagine if a maybe 5kg-snake would "sit" on one of his kids.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,
      I took the male out a couple of months ago and put him in a smaller temporary cage. He seems to be restless in the smaller habitat, so I let him out quite often to roam the love seat and he often tries to get back in with the female. The female is getting pretty fat and enjoying the larger cage to herself however oddly as it is she has been soaking herself (like a retic does) in the large water bowl this past week on three separate occasions. I have not witness this snake soaking itself since it was a juvenile (over a year ago, and even then not this frequently). Does this mean anything? Is there any tell tell signs that the birth may be soon? And most importantly what do I do immediatley after the birth, remove the mother, remove the newborns, anything?

Here's a picture of the loving couple, Ghost and the Darkness on the love seat. The male's name is Ghost because of his washed out head and light color. I think that explains the female's name the Darkness.

Thanks Chris

Comment

Well just as you said you have to remove the babies cause it`s easier tham removing the mom:1,the mother is already under stress and changing cage will only increase this(I dont know if its true but I have heard that a snake can die of stress)2,The Babies need as individual cages as you can provide.If you don`t have cages enough for the entire litter you put them all in a big terrarium and put shoebox-sized plastic boxes with lots of air-holes and put a baby in each one.For the babies I wouldn`t use bark,dried leafes or whatever you use for ground material for the mom and daddy.It`s much easier to put news paper on the ground a small hide and a small waterbowl.It`s important that you change tha paper and water daily cause baby-boas are much more delicate than the adults(ofcourse).I don`t know why your boa took so many baths so often but maybe she onlywants to clean up to make a good first impression on her kids,cause you know boas sometimes do sick stuff without anyother reason than that they wanted to do it.
        By the way,use some kind of workers-gloves when you try to remove the babies from the mother cause she will protect them with every tooth in her mouth!Maybe it`s easier if you take a stick or snake hook (if you have one)and lift out the mother and one of your home-boyz quickly(but gently) takes out the babies,changes the groundmaterial(try to have newspaper at this time even if you don`t have it otherwise) and then just put the mommy back.

Comment

Actually you should remove the mother. This is a critical time for her, but more importantly she will often defend her babies vigorously.. And even if you remove each of the babies, she will stay in this agressive mode and defend babies that are not even really there anymore, and this can continue even longer because she can still smell the birthing remains...

You should remove the female asap, and then provide a large water bowl of clean water for the babies, as many will soak in it... A lot of the babies should not be touched at all until they have had time to adjust, and some may still have some of the yolk sack still attached..

The female should be placed in another clean enclosure and stay there for several days.. this is the only process that really allows her to calm down, therefore reducing the stress levels..

Leaving her in a freshed birthed enclosure will keep the stress high.. so only return her to her original enclosure after it has been cleared of babies, completely cleaned and disinfected, and replaced with fresh substrate..
          To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
          -Clay English
          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Working...
          X