Newbie boa breeder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie boa breeder!

So i want to get EVERYTHING ready for next breeding season, as my boas are not ready for this breeding season, and neither am I! I was just wondering if anyone can point me in a general direction for a boa breeding guide? i know about the night drops and the basic stuff. But i want to know EVERYTHING so i can get everything i need this year so i will be completely ready for next breeding season, thank you!

Re: Newbie boa breeder!

i would just check out the ultimate care guide. or check out some of the big breeders pages for links to other guides theyve created/used

Comment

There is no definitive guide as most breeders have similar practices, but no method is exactly the same.

That goes for snakes too. They are all different and react differently during the breeding process. Like Jeff says "boas can't read"...

Like was suggested the Ultimate Care Guide has a ton of info in the breeders section and there have been a million threads started in the breeding forum on this subject.

Read around a bit and if you have specific questions, ask them. I am sure you will receive several different answers for you to consider

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

I am also new as a breeder and I have read the complete care guide on here (well i put it on my e reader so that i could take it with me everywhere if i had a question) I also plan on getting this book The Complete Boa Constrictor A Comprehensive Guide to the Care, Breeding and Geographic Races By Vincent Russo. I have heard/ read that it is amazing and in depth for those who want to know everything and have heard it referred to as the "boa bible" so I plan on getting that when i get some extra money. Other than that you might go and find a local breeder and ask questions. Reptile shows are a good way to connect with other breeders and most people are nice enough to share tips and tricks with you.

Comment

Hi welcome.
          Ever one has pointed out good resources.
          Just be ready to house 30+ babies.

Comment

The best write up on boa breeding that there is... IMO. Rio Bravo Reptiles: Boa Care
            jb

Comment

I am also curious as to how would i go about selling my litter that i would get? Im interested in breeding to combine different morphs and all that, but if i have a hard time selling the litter that would also be an issue, because i only have 1 female thats big enough to breed and a male thats 100% het for albino, and another male thats a hypo. I would say king snake and maybe the reptile stores in my area? how do you guys go about it?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket92 View Post
                I am also curious as to how would i go about selling my litter that i would get? Im interested in breeding to combine different morphs and all that, but if i have a hard time selling the litter that would also be an issue, because i only have 1 female thats big enough to breed and a male thats 100% het for albino, and another male thats a hypo. I would say king snake and maybe the reptile stores in my area? how do you guys go about it?
                I dont want to rain on your parade all I want to do is tell you that I think that you need to do a little more research. I know that is what you are doing but what I mean is maybe dont shoot for next season. Wait and read up on everything. Look at how the snakes you would produce are selling on Faunaclassifieds, if they are not selling at all, then I would not breed them. Your gonna get stuck with alot of hungry mouths that depend on you to take care of them and find them a home. If you cannot do this then next season is not the right time for you. It takes some careful thinking to take on a breeding project. Not just how cool it is for yourself, but you have to think about all those little snakes that need a home.

Im not trying to tell you that you should never breed. Just think about it, seriously. Matter of fact look up your local herp society and look how many snakes need to be adopted. In San Diego there are quite a bit. ( I am not saying pick up one of these boas to breed. I am saying that many many boas need homes. So just think about that when you introduce a bunch of new babies into the world.)

Comment

Well thats why i want to do my research this year and HOPEFULLY breed next breeding season, if i cant im perfectly okay with that I actually live in the Temecula area so i will look at the san diego herp society! My collection is composed of (they are all columbian). 1 full grown female normal, 1 baby 100% het albino female, 1 baby 100% het albino male, and 1 hypo juvenile male. I want to trade/sell out my collection until i get my desired snakes to breed. I realize this is going to be a long process and i am willing to take the time.

Comment

Well thats why i want to do my research this year and HOPEFULLY breed next breeding season, if i cant im perfectly okay with that I actually live in the Temecula area so i will look at the san diego herp society! My collection is composed of (they are all columbian). 1 full grown female normal, 1 baby 100% het albino female, 1 baby 100% het albino male, and 1 hypo juvenile male. I want to trade/sell out my collection until i get my desired snakes to breed. I realize this is going to be a long process and i am willing to take the time.
                    I have family in Temecula, Love it.

Anyway my suggestion is make a breeding goal. (what you want to make) Then make sure you get the very best of whatever you need to make those.
                    Make a goal first so your not buying and selling snakes and then get frustrated that you have no defined goal. If you want to make albinos then you have a good start.

Comment

Yeah, i mean i want quality boas for myself and for others to buy. But at the same time i refuse to spend thousands of dollars on a specific snake, i just dont have the funds for something like that. But lets say i get an albino, what other morphs would be profitable to breed with it that arent ridiculously priced?

It is a very nice area but lots of crazy stuff has been happening. Had a friend commit suicide a week ago, and somebody just stabbed and killed someone a few days ago. Plus all the other murders that have happened in the recent years, Temecula is going downhill very quick.

Comment

Sounds like you have a normal female which regardless what you breed her to would produce hets at best unless you buy a killer morph like an outstanding Jungle or perhaps a Marron or perhaps a Key West or perhaps something very expensive. Don't know what the female looks like but unless she's exceptional in her own right then why breed those males to her. With all do respect, the males you currently have wont create much demand. Come spring of each year there will be countless who have done the same and willing to dump normals and hypos for $10 to $30, respectively. In the wholesale industry, hets are valued and sold as normals.

Don't want to turn this into another negative don't breed thread. But at least you are questioning whether it makes sense versus just taking the approach to do it cause we can and I applaud you for that.

If money is a concern then the best thing is to breed eye candy to eye candy. Wholesale what is average and retail online the absolute best and get paid for your efforts while avoiding the need to house a bunch of unwanted offsprings. There's a wholesale section on KS where you can post your not ready for retail offsprings or get contact info for those that do. Just don't be surprised if even the wholesalers don't want your product because albinos have become so cheap there's more profit in filling bins with them then housing and feeding normals and hypos that aren't moving. The last thing I want to see is unwanted babies being sold as monitor food. I don't think anybody wants that.

Comment

To be honest, im not to worried about making money. I would just want the cost of the litter to make up for the expense of the snakes, food, the rack ect. Ive always wanted to breed snakes, much more of a project than a money making opportunity! haha (not that i wouldnt give the best care to the boas). But i see albino babies selling for 250$+ at shops. Would breeding albinos produce nice litters that people would buy?

Comment

Get some snakes, enjoy your snakes, keep them healthy, read everything you can find, learn everything you can, watch the classifieds and see what people are buying and selling, talk to people who like snakes, talk to people who breed snakes, read the forums, ask questions, pay attention to what people who've been doing it for decades have to say, buy some books, go to some shows, and most of all: take your time. Don't worry about what's going to make you a bunch of money right now.
                            sigpic

Comment

To be honest, im not to worried about making money. I would just want the cost of the litter to make up for the expense of the snakes, food, the rack ect. Ive always wanted to breed snakes, much more of a project than a money making opportunity! haha (not that i wouldnt give the best care to the boas). But i see albino babies selling for 250$+ at shops. Would breeding albinos produce nice litters that people would buy?
                              Not making money. Just looking for the experience. Pets hops selling Albinos for $250.

Let's just examine these three points so I may attempt to help you. First, find JB's thread on feeding one Boa for the expected life of that Boa. You'd be amazed at what it cost. Pretty much confirms the fact you won't cover the expenses with what you produce and sell and forget about making a profit which you weren't seeking anyway.

Unless you find a wholesaler to take your babies soon as they shed, you are going to need a baby rack for the 20 to 40 she may have. I had one female drop 36 on her first litter at the ripe age of four. Check out Boaphile and others and price that out. Could be more then what you make the first breeding attempt.

Do you have a source for live feeder hopper mice to start them out? Going to cost you $1 to $2 each depending where you buy. Being this is your first litter and just a hobby, most likely the same pet shop or two you will be selling to. Going to need 8 (to I don't know how many feedings) until they all get sold or given away. The cheaper and less appealing or more produced the project the longer and more likely you are giving them away. As they grow so will the food item and it's cost. Oh, for every feeding, expect one or more poops and replacement bedding, cardboards or paper depending what route you go.

Couldn't start to calculate your vet bills but one female cost me a $1000 plus to resolve her urinary infection just cause I bred her. Would have saved the expense and her discomfort had I been content with just having a pet.

Yes, some pet shops are selling albinos for $250 but how many and how quickly? Shows have them for $125 and if you find one desperate enough then perhaps the wholesale price of $50 to $75 based on day of the weak or time of year. Fluctuates just like the stock market. Perhaps a rudimentary class in economics may assist those who see dollar signs in that goo.

Want to breed albinos, well, have you consider how many of your offsprings will have one or two eyes missing, born with big bellies and never make it, or other health issues. Don't care what others say that they've never had a single issue. Myself and every big breeder I've spoken to - has. So you produce 20 albinos and half are not marketable. Do you plan on keeping them all until they expire naturally or do you have the stomach to freeze them, shop their head off or the money to have a vet do it for you? That's a tough one and one nobody thinks of at all. I didn't.

Let's round numbers out. BTW, I do financial planning for a living so forecasting is my forte. If you consider the cost of raising and breeding two boas over their expected life span of 20 years, factor in the fact that if they aren't eye candy and not cheap that they will devalue over time as a project and be harder and harder to market and sell and potentially just become a larger collection cause you don't have the stomach to dispose of those that don't sell - you are probably looking at thousands spent over what is gained. Yes, you aren't in it for the money but don't expect to even it out in the end. Much cheaper and less hassle to just have two amazing pets versus the I want kittens and they will cover my expense. Not going to happen and all you have to do is trend Kingsnake for six months and see the same unwanted boas getting bigger and cheaper by the day until the weekly "I'm having a sale only this weekend" start to go up. Just more ammunition for the crazy PETA extremist to say we dump our unwanted in the street. Breed for greed and don't breed to breed. If you can't formulate a true business model that's going to be profitable then why formulate anything and remove the joy of boa ownership with the disaster waiting to happen when those hungy mouths that never stop pooping come out. Glad you are thinking before you do and not trying to be discouraging but if you want to breed then get two of the newer and exciting projects ($10,000) and up or buy eye candy ($1,000) and up and breed what is going to be in demand and profitable? BTW, even those $10k projectsmwill one day stop generating enough demand because there something newer four years ago and you forgot to reinvest.

If you see the honesty in what I've written then hopefully you'll continue to enjoy your pets versus another For Sale Sign I must endure and going to just ignore.

Comment

Working...
                              X