100% female litter ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% female litter ??????

I just had a litter of 19 Super Hypo Red Group babies on the 25th of May. My question is i have tried the palpate method to sex them and have not found one male yet. Is this possible or should i wait longer to try and sex them? Any help appreciated.

Re: 100% female litter ??????

What exactly was the pairing ?
    Also it is possible. Have you read up on Partho litters ?

Comment

08 hypo red group male to 08 prob. super hypo red group female. i witnessed several breeding during their courtship. Left them together from Late Nov. thru Jan. when male finally lost all interest, P.O.shed occurred on 27th or 28th of Jan.

Comment

uploadfromtaptalk1402393834261.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry that is an image of the litter the day of birth, experimenting with posting pics.

Comment

Here are the parents.

Attached Files

Comment

Sorry last pic is off the dad. This is mother. uploadfromtaptalk1402394982574.jpg

Comment

If they are all female, the odds are, they only have one parent. Read up on Parthenogenesis, specifically the works of Dr. Warren Booth. It is possible that they were all female with two parents, but improbable, especially with that many babies.

Comment

Its likely a Partho litter. But prior to that , I was wondering how you determined that they were all Super Hypos? If it wasn't a Partho litter, then many would't be Supers, but still Hypos.

Comment

It may just be a lack of understanding of the term Super. They were sold to me as Hypo EBV red group Poss. Supers. Maybe, just Hypo's? Is it really more likely that they are Partho...than perhaps incorrectly sexed on my part? I am stuck at work, so I have not tried but i read in another post where wetting the finger may make correctly determining sex easier. I have noticed some of the young to have longer tails than others which I would have thought were males. I can't wait to get home and see if i get different results. Sorry if i mislabeled them, and thank you for your input.

Comment

A super hypo has two copies of the hypo mutant gene in the relevant gene pair. A hypo has a hypo mutant gene paired with a normal gene. Unfortunately, even the breeders often cannot tell the difference just by appearance. Super hypos are more likely to have saddles like crossbars, like the parent female. Hypos tend toward saddles shaped more like bowties. This difference is indicative, not perfect identification.

Assuming no parthenogenesis, a super hypo mated to a hypo would be expected to produce 50% hypo babies and 50% super hypo babies. With 19 babies and no normals, the odds are over 99% that at least one parent is a super hypo. Again, assuming no parthenogenesis.

A super hypo mated to a normal would produce 100% hypo babies.

Males tend to have obvious spurs with a hook at the end of the spur's claw. Females tend to have less obvious spurs with a claw that is thin and straight. Another indicator rather than perfect identification. Sexing by the spurs is most helpful after the snake is a few months to a few years old.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X