Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loans?

Do people do breeding loans for snakes? I'm assuming not
    But I'm having a tough time finding a MM albino for my MF next year. Advise is great!

Re: Loans?

Yes, they do. Some go well, others not so much, and when they go bad they tend to go very bad so most people just prefer to pair their own animals.

That said, I've done several with one other person and they have gone ok.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
      Yes, they do. Some go well, others not so much, and when they go bad they tend to go very bad so most people just prefer to pair their own animals.

That said, I've done several with one other person and they have gone ok.
      Hm. Would a show be best for finding an adult?

Comment

If you do a breeding loan MAKE A CONTRACT! That way if anyone tries to back out or anything after the person gets the snake nothing can be done until the animal is supposed to return to the owner, and so the person with the snake can have legal action taken against them if they refuse to return the snake. I've seen too many that trusted the person and the person kept the male etc and without a contract there's really nothing that can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by ispitroseas View Post
          Hm. Would a show be best for finding an adult?
          Unless you go to a show where people from all over the country go to probably not. Most shows are people from that state. If you would like to try for someone in your own state that's great, but still make a contract, both sign and both get a copy. You can also find many well known and top breeders and some breeders who didn't go big like the others but are still good on facebook. I've got several breeders and keepers on my friends list, they take up 95% of my list lol. You can try a show or you can try to find a breeder on facebook, or probably even fauna. But always make sure to do a contract, so nothing can be said that you didn't return the animal like if it was before you were supposed to, they can't demand more than what the contract states, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ispitroseas View Post
            Do people do breeding loans for snakes?.....
            Be sure you do your 'homework' about the other persons collection: you risk your snake's health....serious & fatal infections like IBD are shared, not just pesky things like mites.

I recommend you visit & see for yourself how they do things.
            If they are offended or evasive, RUN!..... If they don't do the same with you, RUN!..... If they have recently added snakes, ask about their quarantine protocols.

Get references about their animals...and maybe from their vet?

Don't do this on a whim...get to know them and do a contract that covers the "what ifs".

Personally, I still wouldn't do it...

Comment

Ive done two. It is important to know, very well, who you are doing a loan with. Also type up exactly who picks first and such. I would also suggest video footage of the birth. You really just need to trust the person. Real trust.

Comment

Originally posted by dumboa View Post
                Ive done two. It is important to know, very well, who you are doing a loan with. Also type up exactly who picks first and such. I would also suggest video footage of the birth. You really just need to trust the person. Real trust.
                Would you know if fauna would have any adult males for sale?
                Loans seem more risky for snakes than arachnid breeding

Comment

Fauna, KingSnake, TRRM, Facebook...

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
                    Fauna, KingSnake, TRRM, Facebook...
                    Facebook huh? How so through there?

Comment

Look for local (to you) reptile/exotic animal discussion and classifieds groups.

Comment

Try a few pet shops around your area you might get lucky we have one by us that sell a few older snakes at a reasonable price 😄

Comment

Originally posted by spitthat View Post
                          Try a few pet shops around your area you might get lucky we have one by us that sell a few older snakes at a reasonable price 😄
                          I'll try a few things. I've got a bit until I want to breed.
                          Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by spitthat View Post
                            I would not buy a snake to breed from a pet shop. You have no idea where they come from and I found out mine gets them from a whole saler, which buys animals from multiple breeders, then sells to the pet shops. You don't know the genetics behind them etc. I would personally spend the extra money and get a good quality animal straight from the breeder.

Comment

What's TRRM?

The BronX BoA

Comment

Working...
                              X