Refusing to get pregnant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refusing to get pregnant!

Has anyone ever had a female who almost refuses to get pregnant? I have my breeding room setup perfect and other snakes are doing the naughty but I have 1 particular female who won't allow her body to get to temperature. She is roughly 7' and about as thick as 2 cans of soda. She is in a 6 foot cage with proper heat and humidity. The male is all over her but she refuses to let her body get over 80-83 degrees. From what I have read, 86 is what is needed? I was pretty sure I saw her ovulate and shed, but with those temperatures it makes me think that it was just a seasonal shed and not a POS. Any thoughts? Would it be a bad thing to put her in a smaller cage so she has less of an opportunity to regulate? I by no means want to 'force' a breeding... if that is even possible..

Re: Refusing to get pregnant!

Originally posted by taxcollector View Post
    Would it be a bad thing to put her in a smaller cage so she has less of an opportunity to regulate?
    Yes. Yes it would. Because then if she is gravid, she can't thermo-regulate properly and that could cause her to slug out too. If she's gravid, she's gravid. Just supply her with the best environment that you can and she'll do the rest.

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I have many female Boas that refuse to become gravid each year - no fault of the willing males. I've had females become heavily courted for 5 seasons, including penetrations ,and still not become gravid . Gotta love it !

Comment

Ultimately, the animals do what they do, in accordance with or despite our best efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
          If she's gravid, she's gravid. Just supply her with the best environment that you can and she'll do the rest.
          Is it possible to have a viable litter at 82 degrees is my curiosity.
          Originally posted by Morgans Boas View Post
          Gotta love it
          that would be frustrating.....
          Originally posted by Ranger View Post
          Ultimately, the animals do what they do,
          thanks for the response! i agree they do, I was just more curious as to if the temperature she was regulating her body at in the 6 foot enclosure would be warm enough to produce a healthy litter. 86 degrees is what I've heard needs to be reached for internal incubation.

Comment

Working...
          X