Got a redtail only to find out she is ovulating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a redtail only to find out she is ovulating

My question is, is there anyway to really know if she will become gravid and if she does how will I know if she will even be fertile. I have been keeping snakes my whole life but have never got into breeding. While I want to I wasn't planning to do so this soon. I am not worried about the space for the babies or anything of that sort I have it covered. I do volunteer for a reptile rescue and everyone is really knowledgeable but they also haven't dealt with breeding so they weren't much help for my questions. It looks like she's getting ready to shed (assuming POS). I was planning on insuring she would be fertile by using a stud but I've only had her three days and now all the sudden her swelling is very minimal so it looks like I may have missed the window for that. She is a rescue and is aggressive (not food or cage aggressive more of she's just wild aggressive) so I didn't know this would happen when I got her, and the aggressiveness explains why no one till me noticed she was in ovulation. The guy who I got her from only had her for a short time and he got her from someone he witnessed about to throw her in a dumpster. I know they can store sperm for a really long time so she could pretty much decide the time is right at any point and inseminate herself. Would she only go into ovulation if she did have sperm stored or would she maybe go into ovulation because she's ready to mate but doesn't necessarily have any sperm stored? And is it possible that she is going to have a bunch of slugs or would the chances be good she will be fertile?

Sorry for the long post and I am looking forward to everyone's input.

THANKS

Re: Got a redtail only to find out she is ovulating

Originally posted by Chrisn0803 View Post
    I have been keeping snakes my whole life but have never got into breeding. While I want to I wasn't planning to do so this soon.
    I was planning on insuring she would be fertile by using a stud but I've only had her three days and now all the sudden her swelling is very minimal so it looks like I may have missed the window for that.
    She is a rescue and is aggressive (not food or cage aggressive more of she's just wild aggressive) so I didn't know this would happen when I got her, and the aggressiveness explains why no one till me noticed she was in ovulation. The guy who I got her from only had her for a short time and he got her from someone he witnessed about to throw her in a dumpster.
    I cannot help but be perplexed by some of your statements, so please feel free to clarify if there is a misunderstanding.

You had no plans of breeding this soon; however, you had plans of ensuring the use of a 'stud' on this snake that you rescued three days ago from a guy who did not have the animal very long and also rescued it from the fate of a dumpster.

Is that summary accurate?

I do not mean to be offensive, so I hope my response is not interpreted as such, but it seems as though there are several contradictions in what you have written.

Unfortunately, there may be no way to tell if the boa just finished or is finishing an ovulation. With the information given, I would say that an ovulation is probably doubtful - not impossible, but doubtful. If the boa was to somehow be gravid, there are no guarantees on the outcome.

I would focus on health and husbandry for now and maybe consider a vet visit to rule out any medical conditions that could potentially be causing the inflammation and aggression. If you have a vet at your disposal through the reptile rescue where you volunteer, I would imagine that vet would be more than willing to help out. Otherwise, find a reputable herp vet in your area and get the animal checked out.

It may be tough, but hopefully you can track down some type of information on your new addition that will allow you to develop a better understanding of the animal's current state. Try to track down information such as how the boa was previously housed, what temperatures and humidity levels the enclosure maintained, the previous feeding schedule, last feeding, pray type and size, and maybe even if the boa was ever known to be housed with another boa.

I hope the person you obtained the boa from was caring for it properly, but I would say that - before being rescued by that person - it is safe to assume the boa was not being taken care of in any way remotely appropriate (given that the former owner was in the act of discarding the animal

I understand you have a history of keeping snakes as well as some knowledgeable people at your disposal, so hopefully you can utilize your resources to bring your new boa to a healthy state and possibly tame some of the aggressive behavior.

Best of luck with your endeavor!
    "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

No I did not plan on breeding yet but seeing as how she is ovulating I figured what the heck. Thanks for you answer.

Comment

No I did not plan on breeding yet but seeing as how she is ovulating I figured what the heck.
        Okay, I understand now.

I would still stick to the precautionary side of things for now and focus on health and husbandry.

Hopefully you will get lucky in tracking down some information on her and maybe she will give you a nice litter some time in the future
        "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Are you sure she is ovulation? Also, once ovulation passes, which is rather quickly, insemination can no longer happen. So, if she is in her POS, you completely missed the window for throwing that male in. I guess it will be a waiting game now to figure out if she truly ovulated or not. I'm curious of this outcome. Can you please keep us informed?

Star

Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

Comment

I would focus on health and husbandry at the moment and not worry about breeding. If this poor animal has lacked in the husbandry department as I suspect strongly that she has, a lot of the aggressiveness more than likely comes from that. Here is a link to a really good care guide for boas: http://www.redtailboas.com/f110/down...ion-3-a-31312/
            It will help you a lot to get her/him comfortable and hopefully you will find that he/she is not as aggressive.

If a good herp vet is available, I highly recommend you have the snake checked out. Please keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions you may have, there are a lot of years worth of boa keeping on this forum!

Oh yeah, we love pictures too!
            http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Okay guys so I got her checked out today. She's health which is good to know from a pro I guess. Here are a few pics of her.

IMG_9802.jpg
              IMG_9805.jpg
              IMG_9804.jpg
              IMG_9798.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X