Do they have to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they have to?

My question is in the title for the section of the forum. Do boas and or pythons have to breed or can they go there whole lives without? Does this effect their temperament in both species? I have two snakes wanted a third don't really plan on breeding at all but, just have been wondering how that effects the animal. I know how it would effect me. Also if that where an issue are there any stories out there lending your snakes to a breeder and maybe sharing a litter. I know some horror stories where snakes don't survive the breeding process due to size and other factors so please fill me in. Thanks.

Re: Do they have to?

Originally posted by MidnightLeo View Post
    Do boas and or pythons have to breed or can they go there whole lives without?
    None of mine have bred. They're fine. I've heard that motherhood can make some females a little...cranky.

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Really! I am under the impression that the true nature of anything living is to procreate multiply most living things that is. So you can keep snakes for 20 years plus without getting there rocks off and the will be fine? Nine of yours have bred...how old are they?

Comment

Snakes do fine without breeding. Breeding adds risks to the females especially (like egg-binding for the egg-layers, etc) ...and also takes a toll on their body. Try not to "put yourself in your snakes place" too much....

And consider that whatever offspring you allow to be created is deserving of good homes for life...be sure the demand is there BEFORE you add to the population, please...

I would NEVER do a breeding loan, either as a lender or as a borrower...UNLESS it was critical for the survival of a disappearing species AND I was well acquainted with the owner of the 'mate'. So much to go wrong...
        starting with how well they treat their animals, how healthy they are (mites & exposure to IBD for examples), and then, how trustworthy they are to keep the deal with you. I just wouldn't go there, no way.

Short answer is no.

Comment

Many, many hobbyists keep snakes for years and years without breeding and it never causes any issues with the snake or the snake's behavior. Not everyone gets their snake(s) with the intention of ever breeding or trying to develop a business, so I would even venture to say that there are more pet snakes out there than there are breeder snakes.

As for breeding loans, they are always a possibility but they can be more problematic than the effort is worth. I have heard of many relationships being permanently ruined based on the outcome of a breeding loan. I do not mean to infer that would be your case, but just be aware of the plethora of complications that could occur.

With that being said, quite a few people have successful breeding loan relationships and produce nice animals out of their deals. It is all about what you are breeding, who you are making the deal with, and how comfortable/trusting you are with that person.

There are several (to me a handful is several ) people here at RedTailBoas.com that I trust enough to contemplate a breeding loan - and that says a lot because I am not a naturally trusting person. The relationships that I have built here at RTB did not occur overnight. Those relationships have been built over many years. I also understand all of the potential negative outcomes and issues that are possible with breeding and, if I were to enter into a breeding loan agreement, I would be willing to accept whatever the outcome may be - good, bad, or indifferent.
          "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightLeo View Post
            None of yours have bred...how old are they?
            My oldest is Pandora, a 2008 female. She lives right next to Romeo, a 2010 hypo male who has...shall we say...gotten antsy in the last couple of seasons and left many sperm plugs in his water dish.

Temperament wise, they're my two most docile snakes and often go to my wife's classroom to teach HS biology students about neat things like sexual dimorphism and selective breeding. (ironically)

Sent from my HTC One via Tapatalk

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

IMO , Boas that don't breed will typically live longer, and have a calmer temperament than a Boa who is bred with any regularity .
              If you are doing any loans . . . Know the person, or their reputation, and discuss the outcomes , if either Boa should become sick , or die.

Comment

Did not plan on breeding and would not loan anything based off of you guys temperament responses. The only reason I braught up the loan thing is of course the lack of breading would effect the animals negatively. Thank you all for the comments I appreciate it.

Comment

And thank YOU for caring & considering what's best for your animals.

There are many ways that snakes do try to push reproduction: I've had a rosy boa that reproduced via parthenogenesis (asexually), and various rat snakes (including my large adult yellow/gulf hammock rat snakes) that
                  every year lay huge clutches of eggs even though they're not fertile (they've never gotten to breed). In the past when I did breed some kinds of snakes occasionally, sometimes there was no "off" switch, like the corn snake
                  I had that mated ONCE, yet continued to have fertile clutches of eggs each year for 5 years straight with no further mating.

It's an interesting subject, but no need for you to feel bad for just enjoying yours as a pet.

Comment

The lack of breeding will be fine for your snakes!

The idea of it being harmful NOT to breed, is actually a popular belief here among some old-fashioned Jamaicans (humans!) who believe that "woman must have out their Lot" with no consideration whatsoever for the children that are brought into the world and suffer for it. Of course, the mothers also suffer for having all those children, they suffer emotionally, mentally, physically and economically. It can be the same case with snakes that are made to breed over and over with each breeding season until they are dead. It must take a toll on them, and is not natural, as I don't think that snakes automatically find mates and breed every breeding season in the wild, and that is a part of the natural order and balance of things.

Comment

I have a ~19 year old boa, has never bred and is super chill and super healthy.
                      Previously jjurczyk

facebook.com/k1ssy

Comment

Working...
                      X