BCI x BCC not possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCI x BCC not possible?

I know this seems like a really dumb question, but I'm not quite as familiar with Boa Constrictor DNA stranding as other species. I thought these two species were incompatible.

I lost an enclosure about six months ago, and haven't replaced it because I'm getting ready to convert a "rental" house into my snake room and expand to Retics in the next year. With the loss of this enclosure I'm one short for cleaning so occasionally I have to throw two snakes together to clean an enclosure. I have a really docile BCC male, and what I'm pretty sure is a BCI female, and typically throw those two together while I clean because I wasn't worried about unwanted breeding that way. But the last two times I put him in there, he was coiled like he was attempting to breed. The one time he had the wrong end, and both times they just let me unravel them without a fuss. Should I be worried about this, and him actually breeding her?

Re: BCI x BCC not possible?

Yes, BCI/BCC is one of the few naturally occurring hybrids. Is it unreasonable to let one wander while you clean? I don't know your set up and what trouble one could get into while you're cleaning. I know half the time I let Buddy hang out on one of his toys while I clean always keeping an eye on him.

Comment

Learn something new every day. I'm sure I can come up with something, I could just take his swamp out and set him in it and he probably wouldn't move. It was just convenient to know he was secured while I let his enclosure air out for an hour. Now that I know this is a no-no I will look at other options.

Comment

You could always use a large tub to hold your snake during cleaning. Hefty makes a nice sized one that's secured with latching handles. I use one for my 13' retic male during enclosure cleanings ensure that he doesn't go slither-about while my back is turned. It was only $20.

Comment

I made a simple sort of "jungle gym" out of PVC pipe and fittings, and I just hang my guys on it when I clean. They typically stay put. Lazy guys can't be bothered to try to go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ophidia View Post
            I made a simple sort of "jungle gym" out of PVC pipe and fittings, and I just hang my guys on it when I clean.
            Do you have any pics? I've been considering making something like this for my boa.

Comment

This is the one I mean when I said his "Toy"

Comment

Originally posted by walla2GSP View Post
                I know this seems like a really dumb question, but I'm not quite as familiar with Boa Constrictor DNA stranding as other species. I thought these two species were incompatible.

I lost an enclosure about six months ago, and haven't replaced it because I'm getting ready to convert a "rental" house into my snake room and expand to Retics in the next year. With the loss of this enclosure I'm one short for cleaning so occasionally I have to throw two snakes together to clean an enclosure. I have a really docile BCC male, and what I'm pretty sure is a BCI female, and typically throw those two together while I clean because I wasn't worried about unwanted breeding that way. But the last two times I put him in there, he was coiled like he was attempting to breed. The one time he had the wrong end, and both times they just let me unravel them without a fuss. Should I be worried about this, and him actually breeding her?

They are VERY compatible as far as breeding goes. Boa Constrictors will not care if their mate is BCC, BCI, BCO and so on. They will get the job done if conditions are right.

As a matter of fact, this boa constrictor in particular is what a natural cross between BCC and BCI would look like in nature. It is a locality animal.

The Barranquilla, Colombian boa has scale counts and traits that are both BCC and BCI.

Anyhow, the point here is they (BCC and BCI) ARE VERY compatible and possibly meet and breed in the wild more than we think.

That said, keeping lines pure when it comes to locality boa constrictors in captivity is important.

Comment

Working...
                X