No announcement yet.

What temps do your gravid girls like ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What temps do your gravid girls like ?

I keep all of my Boas in enclosures with an 80-90 degree variant ( hot side/cool side ). My Adults that are kept in 4'x2' cages or bigger, are all heated with RHP's ...... When I have a female ovulate, I'll throw in additional belly heat on a separate thermostat. The gravid females will gravitate over to the warmer side of the cage and coil up into the "heat conservation position" (HCP) . I will increase the belly heat a degree or two each day, until the female stays on the warmer side of the cage, but doesn't stay all coiled up . This temperature is usually 95, and up. This is higher than a lot of people like to go, but in my observations, that's where they "incubate" with the best results.
    This girl spends most of her time on the cool side, but while gravid, she hangs out regularly , and directly on the hot spot at 98ish.....

This girl is so full, and hanging on the hot spot at 95 degrees (ignore the urates) . . .

Back in the day (before the internet), I had big/tall cages with branches and heat lights. I'd find gravid females in the branches that were over 100 degrees. Just in case you're wondering .... they still have a cooler side that's in the lower 80's. Take care, D

Re: What temps do your gravid girls like ?

Thats is a great pic, but what is that sticking out, inside of the enclosure
    sigpicJrock23

Comment

but what is that sticking out, inside of the enclosure
      Those are temp probes for the RHP's

Comment

Thanks for that info. I have been thinking about getting RHPs for the girls and I think you just convinced me.
        http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Very nice, my females are usually around 91-92 range.

Side note, RHP are my absolute favorite. I feel it works so much better than Heat tape. I have Freedom Breeders so I'm kinda bought into the heat tape but I miss my cages with RHPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X