Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reputable Breeders who sell adults? (preferably in CA, unless they ship)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reputable Breeders who sell adults? (preferably in CA, unless they ship)

Any suggestions?

I am looking to get one or possibly a pair. I tend to like the longer and bigger bodied boas so I was looking into possibly Surinames or Guyanas and
    Argentines. However, I also thoroughly enjoy all the different morphs and I don’t know too much about breeding, but as far as I can tell, you can’t have both…? Please correct me if I am wrong. Anyway, I am having a hard time locating a reputable breeder who sells or at least advertises the sale of adults. I recently spoke with a very respected breeder who told me that most breeders don’t sell their adults, especially when they have spent so many years feeding, caring for them and raising them up. He said, more times then not, when a breeder sells off an adult, especially a female, its not a solid boa. Makes perfect sense, but I am hoping maybe somebody out there knows of someone who is simply down-sizing…? Long-shot, I know, but one can hope. lol

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and for any assistance or information you are able to provide!

Re: Reputable Breeders who sell adults? (preferably in CA, unless they ship)

A lot of large scale reputable breeders hold on to their adults, because they're breeders. You would be better off buying an adult off a well respected (mostly) hobbyist/casual breeder or people who are getting out of the hobby for whatever reason. Dustin Thompson is a friend of mine who is a rep for USARK, very well respected, active on facebook, and has some (non-locality, morph) adults he is parting with. You'll find tons of these people on facebook in the various boa groups, just do your research on people before buying.

As for both morphs and localities, it's generally accepted that locality boas are to stay "pure" and they don't really get mixed with morphs. You'd be hard pressed to find even an albino guyanese for sale. It just doesn't really happen as far as I know.
    Previously jjurczyk

facebook.com/k1ssy

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post
      As for both morphs and localities, it's generally accepted that locality boas are to stay "pure" and they don't really get mixed with morphs. You'd be hard pressed to find even an albino guyanese for sale. It just doesn't really happen as far as I know.
      This - though someone on another forum was asking about whether she should get a pair of Tarahumara het sharp albino being offered for sale. I was like... no, someone didn't.

For the OP, you can find adults, you just have to sift through a lot of ads and research sellers, just like when buying any snake. You could also post a WTB ad with what you are looking for, and state whether you want pets only (which means temperament is most important), or specific morph/localities for breeding where you might get a pretty snake but they may not have the best attitudes.

Comment

Adult as in how old are you looking for? Breeding size or just grown? I have one male adult that I'm parting with because my breeding has gone in a different direction but I won't sell him to just anybody as he is an excellent pet and has a great personality. (He is a BCI, not BCC though) Then I have some 'babies' that were born in 2014 and while not yet 'adults', they are not babies either. (also BCI). If you are looking for something specific, it will be easier to find.
        http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Most breeders have put so much time, effort and money into those adults that they're not going anywhere. Especially when you get into the locale boas you're looking for. You can fund juveniles and sub adults pretty readily out there, but if you're looking for a breeding pair of boas, you may have to buy them young and wait.

-Sean in NoCal
          “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
          -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I just searched "breeder" on KS and Fauna. Responded to any threads I saw with something I liked that were even a few months old and got a hit on one of them. Guy was super nice and cut me a really good deal on a pair of 2013 females. That's how I did it the first time I was into these animals and how I'm doing it now.

You could also really just find any nice normal big girl and pair her to a dominant male morph to throw visuals or whatever to make good hets. Like put a normal to a motley het anery or something.

Comment

Working...
            X